Kapalama: It's one word as I was taught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapalama: It's one word as I was taught

hi this is sansei and i was taught in my school day's that kapalama is one word and not two word's and it's not ka'palama and it's kapalama so i thought to share my View's with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Re: on the word Kapalama it's one word as i was taught

Just curious, but where did you go to high school?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeeeah it's Kapālama, isn't it? At least it was drilled into my brain in Kapālama elementary school that we say and spell it like that. I dunno, I'm just scared and confused now
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to scrivener,i went to mckinley high school only i learned the word Kapalama in mae mae elementary school and kawananakoa intermediate school and mostly learned my Pidgeon word's in mae mae elementary school in 1969 to the 70's so i hope this may help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
          hi this is sansei and in response to scrivener,i went to mckinley high school
          Well Sansei, wanna know who else went to McKinley?

A couple of war heroes:

Daniel Inouye (who lost his right arm in WWII) and Tammy Duckworth (who lost her legs in Iraq)

A former Governor:

George Ariyoshi (the "Boy from Kalihi" who was scared fo go to Farrington!)

A local diva:

Carole Kai (Carole Shimizu)

A pro wrestler:

The Rock (Dwayne Johnson)

So turn that frown upside down, Sansei, because you are in some pretty good company.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

it's not ka'palama
            Well, it certainly wouldn't be that, as `okina is considered a consonant in `olelo Hawai`i, and Hawaiian words never have two consonants together.

As a place name, the single word "Kapālama" seems appropriate, but the literal definition (something along the lines of "the sacred enclosure of lama wood") could be correctly written as two words, "ka pālama."

(Disclaimer: while I understand many of the rules of the Hawaiian language, I am in no way an expert.)

Comment

Re: Kapalama: It's one word as I was taught

hi this is sansei and i've always wondered on why as an american's that the hawaiian's would wish us american's to learn their language is that not everyone here would wish to learn their language and im not being incensitive only curious.Im not hawaiian and Im an american of Japanese Extraction and i only speak american and conversational japanese and im a person not interested in learning the hawaiian language so I Thought to share this with everyone.

Comment

i only speak american and conversational japanese and im a person not interested in learning the hawaiian language so I Thought to share this with everyone.
                If you're not interested in learning any Hawaiian, why did you create this post and ask this question?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

i've always wondered on why as an american's that the hawaiian's would wish us american's to learn their language is that not everyone here would wish to learn their language and im not being incensitive only curious.
                  I guess I see it as, at the very least, a courtesy. If, as an American, I chose to live in Japan, it would be helpful for me to learn Japanese. I would be able to better communicate with people there, for example, and I think you can see that it would be inconsiderate for me to expect them all to learn better English instead.

Yes, Hawai`i is part of America - but has only been so for a relatively short historical period. Remembering that it was a sovereign nation not too long ago, with its own distinct culture, history and language, helps me to see that it is wise to learn some Hawaiian. (And I don't even live there.)

I hope you find that to be one helpful answer, sansei.

Comment

You guys are far more gracious than me. Hat's off to you.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Yes, Hawai`i is part of America - but has only been so for a relatively short historical period. Remembering that it was a sovereign nation not too long ago, with its own distinct culture, history and language, helps me to see that it is wise to learn some Hawaiian.
                      Hawaiian is, in fact, considered an official language of the state. If you wanted to give testimony in a court of law speaking Hawaiian, you could. (With interpreters provided.)

I have a friend who was taking a Hawaiian language course over at UH. He told me a story about how he was speaking Hawaiian to one of his classmates when they got into an elevator with an old lady. They continued talking while the lady said nothing. Then, the lady got off her floor and just after she stepped out of the car, she turned around and told them, "You're in America now. You should speak English." But before they could say anything to her, the doors closed shut.

Talk about being rude.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        "You're in America now. You should speak English." But before they could say anything to her, the doors closed shut.
                        Perhaps her mind closed shut long before the elevator doors.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i've always wondered on why as an american's that the hawaiian's would wish us american's to learn their language is that not everyone here would wish to learn their language and im not being incensitive only curious.Im not hawaiian and Im an american of Japanese Extraction and i only speak american and conversational japanese and im a person not interested in learning the hawaiian language so I Thought to share this with everyone.

I am learning to better speak Hawaiian because when I was a child we were forbidden to speak it at school. I may be an American citizen, but Hawai‘i is the land of my birth. Hawaiian is a beautiful language, and speaking and singing it enriches my life.

No one is saying you have to learn Hawaiian. That is your choice.
                          Aloha,
                          Mokihana

Comment

sansei has a point. He shouldn't have to learn Hawaiian, at least not before he learns English.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                              sansei has a point. He shouldn't have to learn Hawaiian, at least not before he learns English.

Or whoever has their hand up a sock puppet's...

ummm....er....cuff?

Comment

Working...
                              X