A lecture on how to give lectures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lecture on how to give lectures

Pretty good lecture (naturally), even though the guy isn't all that charismatic. Gives us introverts hope!

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/html/ic.../winston1.html

I like when he compares blackboards vs. overheads.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: A lecture on how to give lectures

I appreciate this, MyoJoe:

I never thought of myself as introverted until I had to conduct meetings for a PR company I was with briefly. I now have a true problem even with face-to-face, one-on-one interviews, as many people who have interviewed me for possible employment would confirm. It startles me how much stage fright I get and then that realization puts me in a true panic mode, and I end up hyperventilating. Hence, I've been through a LOT of interviews in the past four months. Mind you, I have no problem conducting interviews for stories, I just cannot handle being under the microscope!

Fortunately, I start a new job on Monday, but I will probably have to assist with meetings given the nature of my new position. I will definitely be watching this video, and possibly keeping the link handy!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Short and sweet.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

when i first saw the title of this thread, "a lecture on how to give......" i thought it was, "a lecture on how to give STINK EYE."

well, i had to lecture one of our caregivers today. the guy is 19. he was 1 1/2 hours late. i don't know why, but i got a little choked up. when he's here, he's so good with mom. but, i was nearly frantic not knowing whether or not he was going to show up. so our "short and sweet" conversation ended with both of us agreeing that things were just not working out and his last day is supposedly the 27th of this month.
        Last edited by kani-lehua; April 10, 2008, 02:34 PM.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          I never thought of myself as introverted until I had to conduct meetings for a PR company I was with briefly.
          Everyone gets nervous when all eyes are on them, even extroverts. One definition I like is extroverts feel energized in the presence of other people (not necessarily being the center of attention), while introverts need solitude to recharge their batteries.

Hence, I've been through a LOT of interviews in the past four months.
          Ouch. My condolences. Job hunting is so demoralizing. One interview I had, a few years ago, was full of brain teasers. I stumbled out shell shocked. It felt like I went through a hazing ritual!

Mind you, I have no problem conducting interviews for stories, I just cannot handle being under the microscope!
          Me neither! I totally clam up when the spotlight is on me. I ask people a lot of questions because I really am interested in them, but I also do it as a defensive mechanism, to keep the focus off of me.

Stories? Are you a journalist?

Fortunately, I start a new job on Monday
          Woohoo, congrats! You must be both nervous and excited at the same time. You have my best wishes

I'm a lot more outgoing online than in person, mainly because of how my brain works. It's brooding and ponderous. It likes to take its time.

I prefer communicating through writing because I can write down my thoughts, see the words, and edit parts that aren't clear; all before hitting "send". I like not being pressured to respond right away, as you feel during verbal conversations. If I'm slow in responding to a question I start becoming self conscious about the silence, I get nervous, and then my brain shuts down

The times I've done very well verbally is when I talk about a topic I've thought over a lot, either through writing or talking with a friend. Whenever I've had to figure things out while speaking, I've crashed and burned. Lots of mumbling and going off on tangents.

When it comes to speechs, practicing alone doesn't seem to help much. I need to be talking with at least one person, going through all the motions of a real speech. That way I make all my mistakes before the real deal.

Whoops. I'm monologuing

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
          i don't know why, but i got a little choked up.
          I think you're perfectly justified in being upset, Kani. This is your mom's welfare we're talking about. Because you have this tremendous responsibility on your shoulders, what you need is some peace of mind.

19 is rather young. I'm sure he has a lot of energy for your mom, but you need someone you can depend on to take care of your mom, so you can do the important job of taking care of yourself.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Everyone gets nervous when all eyes are on them, even extroverts. One definition I like is extroverts feel energized in the presence of other people (not necessarily being the center of attention), while introverts need solitude to recharge their batteries.
            I don't know if I would consider myself an extrovert or an introvert - but I am more comfortable talking in front of a large group than in a one on one situation. But I wouldn't say I'm nervous speaking one on one - just don't know what to say . So while I may need solitude to recharge my batteries, I often feel energized in the presence of others in the right situation.

Comment

myopicjoe: yes, the caregiver was young, but he has several years of experience and was a referal. his mother used to be the manager at a care home and they both resided on the premises. so, he grew up in the environment--on the job training i guess you would call it. after his mother left, he continued to work there until recently. you are right though, too much energy. i don't think he realized that taking mom out and about is difficult for her. i think he did it more for himself. had to put a stop to that. one excursion cost almost 40 bucks. that included transportation on the handivan, an entrance fee and lunch. the only good thing that came of it was that he took some wonderful pics.

getting back to the OT: i, too, like to communicate in the written form. i nearly failed speech class . just don't like being in front of crowds. although i did dance hula for many years. another thing, i don't think i'm an intovert or extrovert. somewhere in between. oh, and the reason i got choked up when i lectured the caregiver, was because he look so defeated. i felt like i hurt his feelings even though he was/had taken advantage of the situation.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

the reason i got choked up when i lectured the caregiver, was because he look so defeated. i felt like i hurt his feelings even though he was/had taken advantage of the situation.
                He used the puppy dog eyes defense?

At just 19, he sounds promising. With more maturity he'll do well as a caregiver, if he decides its the career for him. Your corrections and lectures are important lessons he'll need.
                "

Comment

He used the puppy dog eyes defense?

At just 19, he sounds promising. With more maturity he'll do well as a caregiver, if he decides its the career for him. Your corrections and lectures are important lessons he'll need.
                  yes. the puppy dog defense.

actually, he was going to major in nursing. had it all planned on going to hpu. but, then he abruptly changed his mind and said that he was going to be a mechanic. i must say, he is VERY good with mom. he's having problems at home (father/stepmonster) and is going to move to arizona to live with his bio mom. hope it works out for him.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

he look so defeated...

...i felt like i hurt his feelings...

...actually, he was going to major in nursing. had it all planned on going to hpu. but, then he abruptly changed his mind and said that he was going to be a mechanic.
                    I doubt any scolding you did ruined his dreams. In fact nursing might not have been his dream. From what you've said, he was raised in a caregiving environment. Going into nursing would be the least risky choice, but being young is when you should take risks; you can rebound easier. Instead of giving into momentum, he will learn a lot about himself by taking a different path.

Besides, he's not straying too far from his calling. Instead of taking care of people, he'll take care of cars. And if it turns out to be a wrong move he can always go back into nursing; except he'll have a better understanding of himself, a passion for nursing that's his own, and no regrets. It'll be his dream.

At least I hope that's how it plays out.

(sorry if I'm reading too much into this, kani. I just got the sense you felt guilty about scolding him)

he's having problems at home (father/stepmonster) and is going to move to arizona to live with his bio mom. hope it works out for him.
                    Me too
                    "

Comment

Ouch. My condolences. Job hunting is so demoralizing. One interview I had, a few years ago, was full of brain teasers. I stumbled out shell shocked. It felt like I went through a hazing ritual!

Me neither! I totally clam up when the spotlight is on me. I ask people a lot of questions because I really am interested in them, but I also do it as a defensive mechanism, to keep the focus off of me.

Stories? Are you a journalist?

Woohoo, congrats! You must be both nervous and excited at the same time. You have my best wishes

I'm a lot more outgoing online than in person, mainly because of how my brain works. It's brooding and ponderous. It likes to take its time.

I prefer communicating through writing because I can write down my thoughts, see the words, and edit parts that aren't clear; all before hitting "send". I like not being pressured to respond right away, as you feel during verbal conversations. If I'm slow in responding to a question I start becoming self conscious about the silence, I get nervous, and then my brain shuts down

The times I've done very well verbally is when I talk about a topic I've thought over a lot, either through writing or talking with a friend. Whenever I've had to figure things out while speaking, I've crashed and burned. Lots of mumbling and going off on tangents.

When it comes to speechs, practicing alone doesn't seem to help much. I need to be talking with at least one person, going through all the motions of a real speech. That way I make all my mistakes before the real deal.

Whoops. I'm monologuing

[/B].

Thanks, MyoJoe for your kind words and encouragement. I'm a free-lance writer and still take on assignments. I actually plan to reduce my free-lance load as this new job unfolds. Working for four or five editors/masters a month is quite challenging, but it is always rewarding to see my stories and bylines out there. These four months working from home have served my family well and we are definitely looking at some big adjustments with this new job cog thrown into the family mechanism.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I doubt any scolding you did ruined his dreams. In fact nursing might not have been his dream. From what you've said, he was raised in a caregiving environment. Going into nursing would be the least risky choice, but being young is when you should take risks; you can rebound easier. Instead of giving into momentum, he will learn a lot about himself by taking a different path.

Besides, he's not straying too far from his calling. Instead of taking care of people, he'll take care of cars. And if it turns out to be a wrong move he can always go back into nursing; except he'll have a better understanding of himself, a passion for nursing that's his own, and no regrets. It'll be his dream.

At least I hope that's how it plays out.

(sorry if I'm reading too much into this, kani. I just got the sense you felt guilty about scolding him)

Me too
                        thanks for making me feel better. i needed to be "lectured". lol. i'm sure the both of you will turn out just fine.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

i'm sure the both of you will turn out just fine.
                          I need all the good luck I can get
                          "

Comment

Working...
                          X