Senate Rejects Kitty Lagareta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Rejects Kitty Lagareta

As most expected, state senators reflected the education committee’s recomendation by voting to reject the reappointment of UH regent and chairwoman Kitty Lagareta. I’m not sure whether she should take the blame for all the things that have gone wrong at the university during her tenure, but certainly, I think it’s time for new leadership on the BOR.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Senate Rejects Kitty Lagareta

Hmm...I'm not so sure if the UH is better than it was four or five years ago. A lot of the changes are cosmetic and or superficial. Quality of facilities and services are only marginally better. The biggest improvement that I can think of is the MyUH portal, which cost several millions.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

It isn't a vote against Kitty Lagaretta. It's a vote against anyone Linda Lingle appointed. Do you really think the BOR hasn't done the school any good? Really? How about a pharmacy school on the Big Island? How about a new university president? How about new dorms? How about the new medical school facility and its cafe? How about the community college system's growth? The acquisition of Fort Ruger for the new KCC culinary facility? The new media facility under Chris Lee? The appointment of Jim Donovan? The Shidler School of Business? A growing UH Foundation? The no brainer choice of Mac for football coach? A pretty solid Internet and Intranet system?

Most everyone on the BOR are busy people. They surely don't do it for the pay. They do it for the benefit of the school. I used to think BORs were quite magical, I guess back when I was a student. But they're not. They are nominated, they step up, and they have the thankless job of helping decide how to run a school on a shoestring budget. How about how reasonable a college education at UH is? So let's rag all over the BOR, it's so, what--trendy? Sheesh. I'll never be trendy and it's really starting to not matter, LOL.

I am a UH graduate, and I absolutely believe in our school. I still write for its magazine, Malamalama, and I have a lot of respect for what UH tries to achieve. Thank goodness there are professors who believe in their work,their research, and in the students of all ages who dream to achieve their goals through UH.

This board will soon be shown the door. Realize that most of them who are on the board at this moment--if not all--are on for an extended term, not walking away from our school while the Legislature decides how to fix it so a governor cannot appoint who she wants there, so that a panel can choose who the pool of potential regents are. So they continue to serve.

Kitty will take a few minutes at the end of her term to take a nap. That's about all the time she has to spare before something else comes up. I think she should feel satisfied about how well she did by UH. Am I the only person who thinks so? Or who would say so?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        It isn't a vote against Kitty Lagaretta. It's a vote against anyone Linda Lingle appointed.
        I had to laugh when I read this. Someone with your media background should know better. Lagareta could have done a lot of things to appease legislative concerns, but by her own admission, she did a poor job of collaborating with them. Ironic, considering her profession is PR.

Do you really think the BOR hasn't done the school any good? ... How about a new university president?
        Amazing you would look at this as one of her accomplishments. The reason David McClain is president is because he was an “emergency hire” to serve in lieu of a national search when they fired Evan Dobelle. Probably the easiest, laziest transition a BOR could arrange with none of the hours of legwork required to organize and publicize (again Lagareta specialty) a national search. And what about Dobelle? How much did the university end up paying to bribe, excuse me buy him out? Talk about a BOR with no balls. If you’re going to fire someone, at least show them door. Don’t let them hang out for two more years to write some B.S. research paper that the public will never be allowed to read.

The new media facility under Chris Lee?
        This is one of the few accomplishments credited to Evan Dobelle. Ironically, the BOR was the greatest enemy of the film school’s creation, going so far as to cite its creation as part of the justification for firing of Dobelle. Let’s not rewrite history here.

The appointment of Jim Donovan?
        This was one of the fastest appointments in UH history, because it was a rubber stamp. President David McClain and Chancellor Virginia Henshaw should be given most of the credit here.

The no brainer choice of Mac for football coach?
        I for one, am disgusted at how much we are paying Greg McMackin. $1.1 million?! For someone with a fraction of the experience of June Jones? In his first head coaching job? Frankly that money could have been better spent upgrading the athletic facilities which were part of the reason Jones left town in the first place.

I’m glad you’re playing cheerleader for Ms. Lagareta. But please, let’s not embellish her accomplishments. The fact that she used her outgoing soapbox to chastise the legislature with statements like “They know very little about anything that’s going on in the university,” demonstrates her utter disrespect of key UH movers and shakers like Rep. K. Mark Takai and former Rep. Brian Schatz.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

No thank YOU for the laugh. But not for this icky memory: K Mark Takai as student body president and his Michelin Tire Man/Pillsbury Dough Boy/K Mark Takai prototype he trotted out as the new mascot for UH. It looked so much like him I couldn't believe it. And the question that always comes to mind when it comes to our estemed legislators: Exactly what do they do for a living the rest of the year?
          Pity the next round of punching bags that get appointed to the BOR. Well, maybe not, they'll be handpicked by a reputable body. That's great. I wonder what it is like to be a regent that isn't constantly ridiculed and faulted? I guess the next set will show us.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Kitty lives! Something about "nine lives" appropriate here?

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...LOCALNEWSFRONT

Comment

I don't feel like the lone voice in the wilderness anymore:

Today's Ian Lind.
              Yesterday's Lee Cataluna.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
              X