Renovated Hawaiian Hall at Bishop Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renovated Hawaiian Hall at Bishop Museum

I took Mom there this afternoon. It's absolutely spectacular, particularly if you remember what it's been like for years and years. The koa cases are gorgeous, the column details are beautiful, and the artifacts are newly organized and displayed.

One of the amazing unintended consequences of getting the skylights clear and unencumbered: there are amazing shadows of the shark, the ray, the dolphins and the other hanging fauna on the floor of the hall. They look like they're part of the tile flooring, but they're not.

The Hale is no longer elevated onto a stage but right at floor level, and a nifty little detail: instead of bog-standard velvet ropes behind which viewers have to stand are braided organic ropes of some sort (I forgot to ask what they were made of).

Go see it!
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Renovated Hawaiian Hall at Bishop Museum

Hawaiian Hall turned out really wonderful!!!
    I do love this place, don't mind coming to work... much. HaHa!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Even though we have young kids, and the Science Adventure Center and the Castle building are designed to keep them entertained, Hawaiian Hall was our favorite part of Bishop Museum and the key benefit of our membership. So we were certainly sad to lose access for three years during the renovation.

But we went on the grand re-opening weekend and were thrilled with the results. I'm happy to see they retained almost all of the original character of the building -- even revealing and restoring architectural elements that were once hidden from view -- but clearly put money, time, and attention into each exhibit floor and case.

I posted several photos, including this panorama shot from one corner that I'm especially proud of.

Comment

You oughta be proud of that picture; it's excellent. Captures a lot of the feel of the room.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

My sister and I went to the Sunday reopening celebration.

What a revelation !

Several months ago, Menehune Man's fellow guard allowed us a peek into the hall, but the renovation was not close to completion. I had previously not been in the Hawaiian Hall for decades. Although we both live on the mainland, we kinda snuck in as kamaainas. No tell.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I was invited to the Pre-opening ceremony and festivities (ukapila kaukau).

Absolutely breathtaking.

My favorite was the Stone Boy.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I usually work 4 to midnight as I did yesterday...
              But I had a "special" schedule today and worked 8am till 8pm.
              So I'm always shutting down Hawaiian Hall along with my co-workers,
              But opened it up instead. Really liked seeing everyone so thoroughly enjoy themselves today as I patrolled through. Just got home, showered, Flickr'ed, and now I'm HTing.
              Tried to be creative. HaHa!
              Flickr photo set
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
              X