Word Of Life Academy closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word Of Life Academy closing

The Word Of Life church will be closing its school in June. A victim of the economic recession.

KITV
    KHON

As the news reports state, WOL was charging 9 grand per school year. That is well below the rate other private schools charge. Even if parents are able to find placement for their children at another private institution in time for the 2010-11 school year, they'll probably be paying more.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Word Of Life Academy closing

I've heard from people since December that this was going to go down; WoLA's students seemed to know about it, and I heard about it from some ILH coaches. Interesting that it took this long for it to be announced.

The school says that it's because of the bad economy, but there are a lot of other private schools with much less money than WoLA who have found a way to hang on. I do wish only the best for the students as they try to find new placement. The HAIS website posted yesterday a note to other private schools asking admissions directors to be as helpful as possible.

I hate to say this, but as much as I love my colleagues at WoLA, their students may be better off. That school has never been accredited, which doesn't seem to have stopped colleges from admitting its graduates, but if accreditation is irrelevant, why do most of the other Oahu private schools have it? 191 schools at all levels, public and private, just in the state of Hawaii are either accredited or are seeking accreditation (choose HAWAII from the region pull-down).
    Last edited by scrivener; March 24, 2010, 11:50 AM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I know for preschools accreditation is a very important part in identifying schools that follow standardized curricullum where admin and teaching staff attend national conferences that promote cutting-edge educational approaches.

Not all schools are accredited and there are a few preschools in the state of Hawaii that choose not to participate.

As for Word of Life Academy. Yes it's probably the economy however having a solid grant-writer on board their staff is vital to keep a non-profit organization running when tuition counts drop.

The questions I have for Word of Life Academy is how did their board of directors allow this to happen? And what could they have done to keep it's doors open? What role did the executive director play in the closure of this school? How effective was that executive director?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        As the news reports state, WOL was charging 9 grand per school year. That is well below the rate other private schools charge. Even if parents are able to find placement for their children at another private institution in time for the 2010-11 school year, they'll probably be paying more.
        Isn't HBA charging around the same? If so, I'd suppose the difference is in owning your own property vs. renting in downtown, assuming they are renting. At any rate, it's sad to see them go.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I hate to say this, but as much as I love my colleagues at WoLA, their students may be better off. That school has never been accredited, which doesn't seem to have stopped colleges from admitting its graduates, but if accreditation is irrelevant, why do most of the other Oahu private schools have it? 191 schools at all levels, public and private, just in the state of Hawaii are either accredited or are seeking accreditation (choose HAWAII from the region pull-down).
          what a hateful thing to say.

academic standards are only one reason why folks send their kids to private schools.

other reasons are to ensure that their kids are raised and educated in an atmosphere where moral standards are held to a high degree and emphasis is placed on character development and ethical behavior.

a small school nurturing environment may also be what parents are looking for. not everyone wants their kids to go to ivy league schools. academic and book learning is not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
            Isn't HBA charging around the same? If so, I'd suppose the difference is in owning your own property vs. renting in downtown, assuming they are renting.
            No Bob. According to the Star-Bulletin, HBA's tuition is over $11,000. Not a huge disparity from WOLA's $9,000. But for many families struggling to pay bills in this economy, a couple thou means a lot.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
              what a hateful thing to say.
              I don't know that it's hateful. As I've said, I wish WoLA's students the best and as you can tell from my links, I've followed the story from several angles most people wouldn't bother checking, and I've been getting updates from people since December. I'd call it more of a professional curiosity than hate.

academic standards are only one reason why folks send their kids to private schools.
              Oh, I completely agree. As you know from our exchange a couple of years ago about private schools, I'm an enormous advocate of private education for that very reason. Most of the Catholic schools' emphasis in Hawaii is on character development. My own alma mater strives for academic excellence and Christian growth. The school where I teach now addresses the learning needs of two very specific kinds of student. I would never suggest that academic standards are the only reason for private education, or my whole academic life would be a lie.

other reasons are to ensure that their kids are raised and educated in an atmosphere where moral standards are held to a high degree and emphasis is placed on character development and ethical behavior.
              Yes, and perhaps the accreditation process is unfamiliar to you. It's not about academic standards necessarily: it's about two things. First, what does the school claim to be doing? Is it doing what it claims to be doing? What is the evidence that it's doing what it claims to be doing? Second, is the school operating in a manner that is transparent, accountable, compliant, and responsible? Who governs the school? Who audits its finances? How are problems handled, and by whom? How safe is the campus? What policies are in place to assure student safety and are they being followed? What is the evidence for all of this?

No, it's not all about academics. You might remember the trouble Kamehameha Schools was having with its board of trustees about thirteen years ago, where its high-school teachers were claiming that the trustees were micromanaging the campus and there were questions about how the school was investing its resources. This was not an academic issue at all, but one of governance and accountability. KS was going through an accreditation renewal at the time, and the accrediting board (WASC) granted only a three-year accreditation with a conditional review. The best a school can hope for is a six-year accreditation with no conditions (both schools I've taught at have received this accreditation each time), but KS wasn't granted it on the basis of this conflict, not at all on academics. I say all of this to underscore my position that accreditation is important to many schools. KS is a powerhouse, the largest private landowner in the state, and nobody questions the quality of education it gives its lucky students. Yet it still considers it important to go through this process every six years (and in their case just that once, every three years). Why wouldn't WoLA and its families also consider it important?

WoLA's reputation for educating its students is clear. Why then would a seventeen-year-old school not be accredited? You may see this as a hateful question, but if you were a parent of a child who was thinking of attending, would you not at least ask yourself this question? As an educator myself, I have always wondered. Accreditation is a long, rigorous process, so why do 191 schools in Hawaii want to subject themselves to it and why would WoLA not?

a small school nurturing environment may also be what parents are looking for. not everyone wants their kids to go to ivy league schools. academic and book learning is not everything.
              Amen. I'm glad we agree on this. As a teacher of students with learning challenges, I'm proud to say that my school provides everything you mention here (and still has sent some graduates to Ivy League schools) without compromising its mission or reputation. That stamp of accreditation from WASC is important to me as a professional; I would not teach anywhere that didn't have it.
              Last edited by scrivener; March 26, 2010, 09:38 AM.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Accreditation and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

In other words, accreditation is cr@%. Some people adore it, others don't. If 191 schools in the state love it, it doesn't mean or prove their students will glean any benefit (or loss) therefrom.

We know from past posts that Scrivener places value in reputation. Apparently, he values the reputation he gleans from working in an accredited school. Maybe, when meeting a teacher from a non-accredited school, Scrivener wonders why that teacher wouldn't want to press for accreditation for their school as well, eh? Luckily, some choose to address more pressing and important matters in their brief span than personal or school 'reputation'.

No need to wonder why, yours is but to do or not to do, as you like it.
                Last edited by salmoned; March 26, 2010, 07:57 PM.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  If 191 schools in the state love it, it doesn't mean or prove their students will glean any benefit (or loss) therefrom.
                  I can't argue with this. As I noted, WoLA's graduates seem to have had no problem getting into good schools.

We know from past posts that Scrivener places value in reputation. Apparently, he values the reputation he gleans from working in an accredited school.
                  Yes and no. When it comes to the subject at hand, if by reputation you mean "acknowledged credibility within the field," then yes, I do consider that important. However, I am a proud UH-Hilo grad, as is well known, and that school has almost no reputation to speak of except in certain fields I did not study. But accreditation is a lot like the BBB signs you see hanging in some places of business. The sign all by itself doesn't mean you're going to love the service you get, but it does stand for certain practices and compliances (especially when you're talking about non-profit organizations that take donations for supposedly charitable causes). When you read the BBB's report on an organization you're about to donate money to, you get a good sense of whether or not your money is going somewhere with credibility. A non-BBB-approved charity that asks for money might very well be perfectly above board, but you'll just be taking it on faith.

Maybe, when meeting a teacher from a non-accredited school, Scrivener wonders why that teacher wouldn't want to press for accreditation for their school as well, eh? Luckily, some choose to address more pressing and important matters in their brief span than personal or school 'reputation'.
                  I suppose that is lucky. But let's say you've dedicated your working hours to teaching in a non-accredited school. You find out after several years that your school (and I must emphasize here that this is PURELY hypothetical and I'm not meaning to imply this about any specific school) doesn't have an independent board of trustees (or directors), that the business manager who signs the reimbursements is the daughter of the head of school, and that the payroll clerk is the wife of the head of school, and that the school's books have never been audited by an independent agency? Accreditation is supposed to assure you that situations like this don't happen. Everything might be above board, but would you be satisfied with someone's verbal reassurance that it is? I'm not sure I would be.

Accreditation also generally assures people that your institution is not a diploma mill. Much more critical at the college level than at the high school level, but when people ask me if I have a college education, I want to be able to say that the name on my diploma has the reputation, backed by an accrediting agency, of not just selling degrees.

As for personal reputation, if you knew me you'd know that in general your statement about me is untrue. However, I do vigilantly protect my credibility as a teacher. When I sign a report card, I want the grade above my name to mean something. When I tell a parent that he or she can trust me with the care of his or her child, I want that to mean something. I go to great lengths and inconvenience to make sure I'm never in a position to have a damaging accusation leveled against me (I won't name it, but you probably know what I'm talking about), because even if I'm accused of something and the accusations are proven false, my career is over.

I think it's fine that not everyone values accreditation, just as it's fine that not all businesses conform to BBB standards. But do you truly think it's meaningless to ask why, and do you truly think that someone concerned about either is merely worried about a personal reputation? Aside from pointing out what accreditation means, what have I done to earn your scorn or contempt?
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yes, and perhaps the accreditation process is unfamiliar to you. It's not about academic standards necessarily: it's about two things. First, what does the school claim to be doing? Is it doing what it claims to be doing? What is the evidence that it's doing what it claims to be doing? Second, is the school operating in a manner that is transparent, accountable, compliant, and responsible? Who governs the school? Who audits its finances? How are problems handled, and by whom? How safe is the campus? What policies are in place to assure student safety and are they being followed? What is the evidence for all of this?
                    Wow. You pretty much nailed it down to a T. Do you have one of WASC's handbooks with you? Heck, it almost sounds like you've been a part of a WASC visitation team before.

Accreditation also generally assures people that your institution is not a diploma mill. Much more critical at the college level than at the high school level, but when people ask me if I have a college education, I want to be able to say that the name on my diploma has the reputation, backed by an accrediting agency, of not just selling degrees.
                    This is very true. I know of several private colleges that were, at one time, reputable in the academic community. But with changes in ownership/administration, the same institution would degenerate into a diploma mill and the school leaning on its past reputation to recruit new, unsuspecting students.

The very core value of accreditation is this: It's important for a neutral, outside party to offer input and evaluation to any organization wishing to honestly assess itself and to see where improvements need to be made. Oftentimes, admin/faculty within a school won't make changes that are helpful, because the practices of the past are "the way things have always been done." Or sometimes, reforms that are suggested by someone from within the school may be bogged down by internal politics. But if the same reforms are offered up by a visitation team from an accrediting agency, then everyone in the school would focus on the merits of the proposals and to set personal differences aside.

As for personal reputation, if you knew me you'd know that in general your statement about me is untrue. However, I do vigilantly protect my credibility as a teacher. When I sign a report card, I want the grade above my name to mean something. When I tell a parent that he or she can trust me with the care of his or her child, I want that to mean something. I go to great lengths and inconvenience to make sure I'm never in a position to have a damaging accusation leveled against me (I won't name it, but you probably know what I'm talking about), because even if I'm accused of something and the accusations are proven false, my career is over.
                    I don't see how this fits into the matter of accreditation on a personal or institutional level. Whenever an accusation of misconduct is made against anyone working at a school (esp. if it's criminal), then it doesn't matter if that person is a newly hired teacher or the 20 year headmaster with a wallful of professional awards and honorary degrees. Credentials or professional licensing are not a mitigating factor in a criminal investigation. Such investigations have to be made made on the basis of the evidence that is presented.

Furthermore, a school that receives the full 6 year accreditation isn't entitled to any layer of protection or consideration from legal inquiries/scrutinization from the authorities as compared to a school that is on "probationary" status with WASC.

I think it's fine that not everyone values accreditation, just as it's fine that not all businesses conform to BBB standards. But do you truly think it's meaningless to ask why, and do you truly think that someone concerned about either is merely worried about a personal reputation?
                    It has to be said: I've heard more than a few educators holding the same sentiments as Ed. They'll go on-and-on about how the time they spend in FOL meetings would be better used on preparing for the next day's lessons or grading papers. Or that the money the school spends in paying for the expenses incurred with the accreditation process would be better put to use on school supplies or buying a new Mac or two for the computer lab. But I think that if these teachers talked to someone like you, then they would have to re-think themselves.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 27, 2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I hate to say this, but as much as I love my colleagues at WoLA, their students may be better off. That school has never been accredited, which doesn't seem to have stopped colleges from admitting its graduates, but if accreditation is irrelevant, why do most of the other Oahu private schools have it? 191 schools at all levels, public and private, just in the state of Hawaii
                      1. WOLA kids seem to be able to get into good colleges.

2. WOLA kids and families seem to be pretty upset about their school's closing.

3. You're telling them they're better off that their school closed?

if this is not hateful, then it's at the least cold. i'm not sure you're the kind of teacher i'd want mentoring my kids. where do you teach again?

how about you just apologize?

edit: if you think I'm giving you a hard time. I am. I don't like seeing people kicked when they are down and I am always for the little guy. WOLA is one of those little guys.
                      Last edited by 808shooter; March 27, 2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Scrivener, sorry if my post sounded like a personal attack, it certainly wasn't meant to be one. Rather, I meant to suggest your discussion of accreditation [or lack thereof] doesn't directly bear upon the goings on at WoLA.

I do believe you view your credibility as a teacher to be directly related to your reputation as a teacher, but that belief is only based on some of your previous posts. Admittedly, I may be entirely mistaken on this point.

"That stamp of accreditation from WASC is important to me as a professional; I would not teach anywhere that didn't have it." This statement reeks of a sort of snobbery I can't quite abide, unless you believe WASC accreditation is THE defining characteristic of a school worthy of your contribution (which I can't honestly believe to be true).

I'd also have to agree with 808shooter's comment above.
                        Last edited by salmoned; March 27, 2010, 11:54 PM.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                          if this is not hateful, then it's at the least cold. i'm not sure you're the kind of teacher i'd want mentoring my kids. where do you teach again?
                          If you're going to ask Scriv where he works, I don't think it's unfair to ask what your connection to WOLA is. Judging by the emphaticness of your posts, it sure doesn't sound like you're a casual, neutral observer. Are you by chance a parent, alumnus, or employee of WOLA?

BTW, I do think the closing of WOLA is very unfortunate. The transition will be rough for everyone involved: the displaced faculty who will have to find new jobs, the parents who will have to scramble to find a new school, and most importantly, the kids who will be seperated from the friends they grew up with.

Comment

i've never heard of WOLA until a year ago. no connection other than what i read in the papers and on tv.

Comment

Heard about this in the office the other day. Sad to see a school go but can't say I'm surprised given the state of the economy.
                              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X