Hawaiian language tutorials / forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian language tutorials / forum?

I spent a little while searching before but didn't find a whole lot. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for Hawaiian language learning materials and/or forums to discuss and practice?

For example for Na'vi (the fictional language of Avatar), we have this:

http://learnnavi.org/

I've been totally spoiled by it. There are some fantastic grammar and vocabulary references compiled there by volunteers, extensive examples and analysis of "canon" sentences, and (somewhat noisy, but very usable) forums where people can discuss the language, discuss in the language, post videos for pronunciation critique, and so on.

I have the Instant Immersion CDs but I'm more of a visual learner. I like to take my time to read things through and parse them out.

I got this book "The Hawaiian Language, a Complete Grammar Study" by Henry Judd, but it's .. rather dense. And it seems a little outdated, because he seems to notate long vowels by doubling them instead of with a kahakō. This threw me off for a while.

I might proceed with that anyway just because it's the best I've got right now, but I figured I'd ask! And I'd still love to find a place to practice.

Mahalo.

Re: Hawaiian language tutorials / forum?

try a visit to Native Books & Beautiful Things at Ward Warehouse. They will be able to suggest some books. I have one that was put out by Kamehameha Schools that was helpful. The store is located on the Ward Avenue end of the center, close to the stage area.

oops - I just noticed you live in Oregon. Here is their website & I'm sure you can mail order books. it is www.nativebookshawaii.com
    Last edited by anapuni808; May 2, 2010, 11:53 AM.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

There have been several threads on HT devoted to the subject of the Hawaiian Language. Go to the menu at the top of the HT page>Search. In the 2nd box (Google custom search), type in "Hawaiian Language", with the quote marks. Hopefully some of those results might help you.

Comment

Here's something you can play with...use Google with the Hawaiian language interface settings.

Keola Donaghy worked with Google to hook up the language for the interface:

http://www.hawaii.edu/malamalama/2010/04/digital-olelo/

Comment

anapuni, thanks! I will check out that web site and see what I can find. Yeah, I wish I could just run over there, but my teleporter doesn't work yet

tutusue, I tried just searching through the archives in this (classroom) forum earlier and didn't find a lot, but I will try your search and see what turns up under that. Thanks!

Peshkwe: I saw that in the Hana Hou in the way over! So cool I've been meaning to play with that. Thanks for reminding me!

Comment

Try this site:

http://ksdl.ksbe.edu/kulaiwi/index.html

Comment

www.olelo.hawaii.edu/khuok/hknke.php

Kualono, you can order Na Kai Ewalu books 1,2, and 3 for only $5 each. For me the hardest basic to get wired was personal pronouns. Also on
              Facebook there are at least two Hawaiian language groups. I do not speak the language well, or very fluently or spontaneously but I am very thankful for what skill I do have in it, it is beautiful. The Illustrated Hawaiian Dictionary by Wight & Racoma has sample sentences that illustrate usage. On our recent wonderful trip to Hilo I picked up E Kama'ilio Hawai'i Kakou by Kahananui & Anthony, I was pleased to see the best Hawaiian speaker I know has a copy of that on her desk.

Comment

Working...
              X