Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your major?

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    After brief flings in other disciplines, I ended up pursuing (although "pursue" is a strong verb for what I was doing) a Journalism degree. I eventually got it, just before the whole UH Journalism Department was swallowed up and turned into one of a group of smaller "programs" - alongside public relations, for example - in the Communications Department.
    Like you, pzarquon, I started off pursuing another discipline. I began my collegiate career at the community college level — where counselors told me if I wanted to be a journalist, I should major in communications, since the two departments were in the process of merging. Bad advice, it turned out, since it never happened the entire time I was at UH-Mānoa. I took two years of Com classes before Professor Richard Vincent took me aside and said, “you’re in the wrong major. You should switch to Journalism.”

It was a Kodak moment when during the merger process, they made the secretaries of the Journalism department and Communications department in George Hall sit facing each other — their desks nearly touching — with students having to squeeze between them to get help from either woman.

The semester after I graduated, it finally happened. I might actually be one of the last Journalism majors at UH before Gerald Kato took over, allowed the Journalism department to fall out of ACEJMC accreditation, and embarked on a major restructuring of the program.

I did get to actually use my degree in a traditional professional setting for a few years, though.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

WAY back when I was in school, the broadcast classes were in the Speech Department at UH Manoa - so I graduated as a speech major.

The real education was in the evening hours I put in as a part time announcer at a small radio station for two years while I finished school. Priceless, as they say.

When I was later in a position in which I was asked by newbies 'what should I major in?' to get into the business, I always advised them to major in English or take lots of reading/writing courses.

There is no substitute for knowing how to use the English language well, and in knowing at least little bit about a lot of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        When I was later in a position in which I was asked by newbies 'what should I major in?' to get into the business, I always advised them to major in English or take lots of reading/writing courses.

There is no substitute for knowing how to use the English language well, and in knowing at least little bit about a lot of things.
        Amen. I tell ambitious students the same thing, whether they want to go into business, law, or medicine. Law schools and med schools, I tell them, get a million apps from poli sci and bio majors. Major in English and you'll have a leg up on those other applicants.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Architecture. (Traditional meaning...had nothing to do with computers!)

Comment

I want to be in the sign language field in KCC..

to be either an interpreter &/or a sign language teacher, unfortunately I am not allowed to get a pell grant from KCC, I even registered too.

(they sent me a reply back that I am declined & could not get it)

Maybe (not sure) because last time when my hubby & I paid for my 2 classes, & that I dropped one out much later, because I was getting overwhelmed & stressed with 2 classes, I only found out that later way after I registered that by going to 2 classes would stress me out.

Now that I think about it, maybe, I should have have gone to my doctor first, to get a diagnosis, then bring that letter to KCC for me to be able to drop a class. Maybe that way, it would be legitimate, & would not affect the registration, &/or would not affect my credits in KCC.

sigh. a lesson learned I guess.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
            X