X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serenity
    replied
    Re: What's your major?

I want to be in the sign language field in KCC..

to be either an interpreter &/or a sign language teacher, unfortunately I am not allowed to get a pell grant from KCC, I even registered too.

(they sent me a reply back that I am declined & could not get it)

Maybe (not sure) because last time when my hubby & I paid for my 2 classes, & that I dropped one out much later, because I was getting overwhelmed & stressed with 2 classes, I only found out that later way after I registered that by going to 2 classes would stress me out.

Now that I think about it, maybe, I should have have gone to my doctor first, to get a diagnosis, then bring that letter to KCC for me to be able to drop a class. Maybe that way, it would be legitimate, & would not affect the registration, &/or would not affect my credits in KCC.

sigh. a lesson learned I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Merely Malihini
    replied

Architecture. (Traditional meaning...had nothing to do with computers!)

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    When I was later in a position in which I was asked by newbies 'what should I major in?' to get into the business, I always advised them to major in English or take lots of reading/writing courses.

There is no substitute for knowing how to use the English language well, and in knowing at least little bit about a lot of things.
    Amen. I tell ambitious students the same thing, whether they want to go into business, law, or medicine. Law schools and med schools, I tell them, get a million apps from poli sci and bio majors. Major in English and you'll have a leg up on those other applicants.

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

WAY back when I was in school, the broadcast classes were in the Speech Department at UH Manoa - so I graduated as a speech major.

The real education was in the evening hours I put in as a part time announcer at a small radio station for two years while I finished school. Priceless, as they say.

When I was later in a position in which I was asked by newbies 'what should I major in?' to get into the business, I always advised them to major in English or take lots of reading/writing courses.

There is no substitute for knowing how to use the English language well, and in knowing at least little bit about a lot of things.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    After brief flings in other disciplines, I ended up pursuing (although "pursue" is a strong verb for what I was doing) a Journalism degree. I eventually got it, just before the whole UH Journalism Department was swallowed up and turned into one of a group of smaller "programs" - alongside public relations, for example - in the Communications Department.
    Like you, pzarquon, I started off pursuing another discipline. I began my collegiate career at the community college level — where counselors told me if I wanted to be a journalist, I should major in communications, since the two departments were in the process of merging. Bad advice, it turned out, since it never happened the entire time I was at UH-Mānoa. I took two years of Com classes before Professor Richard Vincent took me aside and said, “you’re in the wrong major. You should switch to Journalism.”

It was a Kodak moment when during the merger process, they made the secretaries of the Journalism department and Communications department in George Hall sit facing each other — their desks nearly touching — with students having to squeeze between them to get help from either woman.

The semester after I graduated, it finally happened. I might actually be one of the last Journalism majors at UH before Gerald Kato took over, allowed the Journalism department to fall out of ACEJMC accreditation, and embarked on a major restructuring of the program.

I did get to actually use my degree in a traditional professional setting for a few years, though.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by spoon View Post
    I'm at Haverford, a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania. I'm majoring in anthropology, but I don't know if that means I get a BA in Liberal Arts or in Anthropology... Also minoring in biology and East Asian studies. I heart biology!
    Biology pays better, and even has openings!

Anthropology... needs a graduate degree, and even then is hard to find work. CC classes go to PH.D.s. Anthro is a good major to support your knowledge and be more effective in your REAL major.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by alohalani View Post
    Hawaiian Studies and Anthropology...*gulps* Sophmore at KCC for A.A. before transferring to U.H. My dream job in my fantasy world? Rearching in archives. (don't pinch me and wake me up)
    Good skills for the Bishop Museum Ethnology Dept.! If you don't mind minimum wage. The people are wonderful!

Leave a comment:

• JennRN
    replied

ASN at Ivy Tech and currently completing my BSN at Bethel College.

Graduating 5/2013!

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

MS & BS of Economics U of Oregon

Leave a comment:

• Gfoxx
    replied

BS in Nursing - Walla Walla University
    MPA - Portland State University
    JD - Whittier Law School

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

I got a B.A. in journalism from UH Manoa back in the day when journalism was journalism (i.e. newspaper writing). I chose journalism because it was a practical and versatile major, at least it was back then (I’m not sure what it’s like these days). You were supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades, able to handle any story assignment that came your way, but you were still required to have an area of specialization. Somehow, I convinced my advisor to allow me to specialize in literature (not necessarily English literature), as well as art and architectural history.

Later, I got an MFA in creative writing from a mainland university, which left me free to study whatever I wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I guess I should add that I did finally get that M.Ed. in secondary (English) education. From HPU.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Wow! A super-old thread!

B.A. English - Southern Connecticut State U.

M.A. Cultural Anthropology - U.C. Davis

Leave a comment:

• GregLee
    replied

AB in social relations, which was a combination of sociology, social psychology, and cultural anthropology at Harvard (the major no longer exists); MA & PhD in linguistics at Ohio State.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

I grew up in a small farming community in Central California. I picked peaches and grapes during the summer as a youth to make ends meet. Although honorable work, I knew I didn't want to do that the rest of my life! I am an undergraduate of UC Berkeley. Despite what the diploma says, my true major was "looking at the world from a whole new perspective."

Gooooooo Bears! (At that time we were the only institution with a gay mascot - Oski the Bear!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X