Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would Have Been Your Alternate Major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would Have Been Your Alternate Major?

What would have been your major if you hadn't majored in whatever you got your degree in?

My school didn't have it, but I think mine would have been Art History.

Of courses of study my school did have, I guess I'd have gone with History.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: What Would Have Been Your Alternate Major?

My mom wanted me to be an accountant. What's really bizzare is that she suggested that about a week before I left for college.

If I went to college for the first time now I might have picked astronomy.

Comment

I really wanted to be an Oceanographer or study marine science but my father convinced me to go into business. I even contemplated being a photographer before I graduated from high school. If I persued these alternate fields, I'd probably never left Hawaii....lol.

Comment

I toyed with going into drama (production), English (creative writing), and vulcanology/geology, and took classes in each. My indecision is a small part of why it took me nine years to finish my four-year Bachelor's degree.

My only other side interest was Hawaiian language, and fortunately I was able to include that as part of my degree program (though those brain cells are slowly dying from neglect). Too bad they only introduced the Hawaiian language Master's program at UH-Hilo after I transferred back to Manoa.

Comment

I really wanted to go into Computer Science, but the T.A. discouraged me from entering after I took a few introductory classes. He told me that it was a major that I couldn't get a job with, because computers weren't going to "catch on" blah blah blah (and this was only 10 years ago!!!) I think he just didn't want a girl in his program (I was the only one). I kick myself seeing that as a teacher, I make half as much as I could've made as a computer programmer!!!!

I also really wanted to go into Marine Science, like Aleno. I started the MOP, but never got to complete it. I was also thinking of Linguistics, being so fascinated with the foreign languages I was learning, and how they were all connected.

But if I could go back today? And for free? I'd definitely take up Psychology. The way people act nowadays...I'd love to study that to see what made them the way they are.

Comment

Me? Probably Astronomy or Geography...
            I dunno, just facinated with that stuff.

Originally posted by malia
            I'd definitely take up Psychology...
            What, are you nuts?

Comment

Malia: Schools are always in need of qualified teachers so don't sell yourself short. My daughter majored in Psychology and had to get her Master's to get a decent job...should have gone for her doctorate but she ran out of money...so did we! She would never be able to get a job here because of the limited openings for psychologists with only master's degrees. Do what you like and like what you do!
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

If I was well-endowed, would've tried the one and only Adult Entertainment Program in England (I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by Timster
                  If I was well-endowed, would've tried the one and only Adult Entertainment Program in England (I believe).

Why England?

Comment

Working...
                  X