Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "You Learn Something Every Day"

Originally posted by Erika Engle
    Seriously -- Auntie -- Mylicon (aha! I'd forgotten about that! Was good -- but I did get the Dr's okay first).

One of the things I used to do was to try and rock baby to sleep using the "colic hold."
    Pretty Lady and Everyone Else, I'm happy to report Kiana is crying less. Yipppeeee! We didn't need to give her "Mylicon." Just patience, hugs and Love.

Infact, yesterday she sat on Tutu watching Yobo Movies without making one sound.heheheh She and Antonio looks at each other so lovingly. Somehow the bond of cousins is Magical in itself better than any Colic Medication!!!

Yep! Our Kiana is ova being Colicky. My daughter is back to NORMAL too.

She's BEAUTIFUL just like her DAUGHTER!!!!

Back on topic. "You Learn Something Everyday."

I learned a long time ago never to trust a Smiling Face. A Smiling Face can become your Worst Enemy. Aloha comes from the Heart. People will try to twist and make it seem they know everything when they don't know jack shit. It is best to ack niave and dumb than to ack all dat. Do from your heart and don't be afraid to trust others. A true Smiling Face can be felt...don't be Fooled. ^

I may be PuPule but I not all dat CRAZy!!!

Yes, The Primary is tomarrow. Win or Lose ~ ALL Candidates deserves an applause.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 22, 2006, 03:42 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      I learned a long time ago never to trust a Smiling Face. A Smiling Face can become your Worst Enemy. Aloha comes from the Heart. People will try to twist and make it seem they know everything when they don't know jack shit. It is best to ack niave and dumb than to ack all dat. Do from your heart and don't be afraid to trust others. A true Smiling Face can be felt...don't be Fooled. ^
      And you can tell the difference between those who smile with only their mouths, and those who smile with their eyes.

But I don't trust "smileys" myself.

Comment

I just learned that "Speed"... which was a very common "drug" at my high school can actually be used to put people to sleep.

Originally posted by Windwardoahurn
        It's called a paradoxical reaction. It frequently occurs in people who have ADHD, which is why amphetamines such as dexedrine are often used to treat the disease. Speed slows these folks down.
        Learned in the Methampetamine thread here: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6070

Comment

I learned the Hawaiian word Mana'o.

I'm not sure if this is the exact definition... however, I like it.

As no two individuals have the same life experience and knowledge, the mana'o is individual and not alike for everyone. The slight or great differences are a result of different lives. Yet it is important to consider the truth of each of these lives as having had a true meaning for the individual.
          Found through a google word search of the word.

Comment

I just learned the keyboard player from Pearl Jam is from Waimanalo.
            The foundation will give a dollar of that donation to the Hui Malama I Ke Kai Foundation after-school program in the name of Boom and Pinky Gaspar. Boom plays keyboards for Pearl Jam and is from Waimanalo.
            and I also learned the Pearl Jam will be having a second concert in Hawaii besides opening for U2.
            Pearl Jam, originally announced as part of U2’s Aloha Stadium concert bill on Dec. 9, will now headline its own concert a week earlier, on Dec. 2 at Blaisdell Arena.
            Anyone thinking about the Blaisdell showing now?
            http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5000

Comment

This week I learned that some speices of tuna are warm blooded (as well as some speices of sharks).

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                But did you know Botswana, Africa is Hawaii's antipode? Not China
                Quite some time, but the digging down till you reached China part is based on sayings from the mainland United States, but I understand even that is incorrect.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Stuff about staff lights removed

Just a little bit of bonus info. I'll bet Helen knows a lot more than that.
                Nope, I just operate a light board and at times hold a ladder for the light designer as she changes the lights.

Comment

this is kind of silly but something I just learned.

Ever driven a car and went to the gas station and could not remember what side of the car your tank is on? My family has 4 cars and I drive a lot of rent a cars so this used to happen to me all the time.

Well in many cars, there is a little arrow next to the gas tank that is pointing to which side of the care the gas tank is on.

Simple huh? I know I'm not the only dummy out there. A co-worker who travels once a week thanked me for the tip last week. We were on Kauai and the topic came up as we drove into a gas station.

Comment

I learned what an interference engine was after my timing chain broke on my BMW

I learned from "Made in America" that the WD in WD-40 was the 40th formulation for a Water Displacement formulation.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                      this is kind of silly but something I just learned.

Ever driven a car and went to the gas station and could not remember what side of the car your tank is on? My family has 4 cars and I drive a lot of rent a cars so this used to happen to me all the time.

Well in many cars, there is a little arrow next to the gas tank that is pointing to which side of the care the gas tank is on.

Simple huh? I know I'm not the only dummy out there. A co-worker who travels once a week thanked me for the tip last week. We were on Kauai and the topic came up as we drove into a gas station.
                      Try driving a rental up to a full serve gas station (rarity) and when the attendant asks you to pop open the gas filler, you open the hood, trunk, disengage the parking brake before you pull off the cover to the fuse block, readjust your driver's seat and find your lost cell phone before that gas cap pops open.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Try driving a rental up to a full serve gas station (rarity) and when the attendant asks you to pop open the gas filler, you open the hood, trunk, disengage the parking brake before you pull off the cover to the fuse block, readjust your driver's seat and find your lost cell phone before that gas cap pops open.
                        That is hilarious :-P the same thing happens to me when I go to Lex Brodies' on Queen Street. It's not full serve but they are so busy, they pump your gas for you.

Another trick I learned recently is to take those direct marketing pre paid postage envelopes and stick them in the mail with nothing in them. If we raise the cost of direct marketing, maybe we'd stop getting so much junk mail.

I think Andy Rooney advocated this or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                          That is hilarious :-P the same thing happens to me when I go to Lex Brodies' on Queen Street. It's not full serve but they are so busy, they pump your gas for you.

Another trick I learned recently is to take those direct marketing pre paid postage envelopes and stick them in the mail with nothing in them. If we raise the cost of direct marketing, maybe we'd stop getting so much junk mail.

I think Andy Rooney advocated this or something.

Better yet put that business reply card back in the mailbox with another business' address that sent you a business reply card on it as the sender.

Or put your boss' address on all the Playboy and Hustler business reply cards...you know that boss that suspended you for taking a Hawaiian Holiday on a Monday after the three day Veteran's day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Girl View Post
                            "Italian Accent isn't till next month..."

Not if you're Italian, ARRRR....

Or an Italian Pirate ...

What on earth is an Italian Pirate?

Comment

This has to do with my Mom. Let me start off by saying she isn't very political nor does she know too much about the movements going on with Hawaiian sovereignty. She's a very mild person, too much aloha some would say, 100% non political, keeps to herself. What she knows about the issues going on and the people involved I or someone else in the family tells her.

Anyway, my husband, my Mom and I were sitting in my living room, talking story. We got on the subject of Kanaka Maoli. My husband and I start talking about Haunani-Kay Trask's book, From A Native Daughter. Upon my husband saying the name Haunani-Kay, my mother says, out of no where, "Did she go to Kamehameha?" I said, "Yeah." She asks, "How old is she?" I tell her Haunani's age. She goes, "Oh, I wen Kamehameha with her! How is she these days?"

I about died. She knows nothing of the modern day Haunani-Kay.

Their personalities are polar opposites. It's quite shocking for me to think of them all friendly back in the day. My mother is so passive. LOL! I'm lending her From A Native Daughter to read, to catch up on how a "KS friend" is doing.
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Today I read this thread and learned oh so much.

I learned what a newbie I am to the whole forum thing.

I learned what the heck lol was (maybe....)

I learned that what you say here doesn't always come across in the same way it would in person. If I have came across as haughty-toity then I apologize. It was never meant that way. I am just geeky in real life.

I learned a lot more about all of you.

I learned Auntie Lynn should be put on a pedestal for her strength in overcoming so much.

I learned I am too ADD to be able to follow all the threads.

I learned that my husband is right and that I live in an ivory tower. President who?????

Comment

Working...
                                X