• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeckoGeek
    replied
    Re: Charm/Finishing School

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    Oddly enough, there was a segment on the CBS evening news last night about using charm/finishing school to help reduce recidivism in female juvenile delinquents.
    Wow! That sounds like a really good idea. If they aren't comfortable in good company when they get out, they'll end up in bad company. Might be a good idea for all prisoners.

Forget artichokes, the question is the right way to eat chicken that's still on the bone. Do you play with the silverware leaving a fair amount of meat behind, or do you dig in with your hands and clean up afterwords?

Yeah, I remember the ads for Sears charm school. Used to hang over the escalators in Sears.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I'm trying to picture one of the many local Tita's going to charm school:

Freshman coming in: Eh I goin broke you face if you talk stink ladat

Senior leaving: Excuse me but I think a bit of concealer would be fantastic on your face after I broke it...um I mean break it

Tita coming in to charm school: Eh we go grind

Tita coming out of charm school: Let's do lunch!
    (cough, cough) I was one of dem Tita's and still is!

Doing a curtsy before I went into my Tita act in Las Vegas!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I'm trying to picture one of the many local Tita's going to charm school:

Freshman coming in: Eh I goin broke you face if you talk stink ladat

Senior leaving: Excuse me but I think a bit of concealer would be fantastic on your face after I broke it...um I mean break it

Tita coming in to charm school with WalMart tube top

Tita coming out of charm school with a sparkling Macy's Bebe T-shirt

Tita coming in to charm school barefoot putting out cigarette with da heal.

Tita coming out of charm school with her best Scott slippahs, chewing gum.

Tita coming in to charm school: Eh we go grind

Tita coming out of charm school: Let's do lunch!

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    the questions beg:
    -what restaurant is this that includes artichokes on their menu?
    -what is the proper way to eat one of these suckers? (I like them boiled, then with a tub of mayo/shoyu mix, I peel off a petal, swipe through the dressing, and scrape off the soft part with my bottom teeth).

...such a fattening vegetable.
    The "proper" way to eat an artichoke in polite company is to peel back all the leaves, until you get to the "choke", scrape off the prickly part of the choke to get at the "heart" with a teaspoon, and cut that part up and eat it with some Russian dressing (kinda tastes like a potato). With family, sucking off the "meat" from the leaves is acceptable. Nowadays, most restaurants will only serve the artichoke heart (as part of a salad) to avoid having people getting confused about how to properly eat an artichoke.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; November 11, 2006, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

the questions beg:
    -what restaurant is this that includes artichokes on their menu?
    -what is the proper way to eat one of these suckers? (I like them boiled, then with a tub of mayo/shoyu mix, I peel off a petal, swipe through the dressing, and scrape off the soft part with my bottom teeth).

...such a fattening vegetable.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

I don't think it hurts to learn proper etiquette, whether you get it in a charm school or at home. This is especially true if the kid in question has any aspirations of competing against others and being successful in the working world.

To be well mannered and genteel as opposed to rough around the edges is nothing to be ashamed of in a society where common courtesies are often overlooked. And then there's the "artichoke" factor: More than one career has been stymied at a business lunch when a person doesn't know how to eat an artichoke . In the business world, knowing how to react to others in that setting is very important.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• glossyp
    replied

Oddly enough, there was a segment on the CBS evening news last night about using charm/finishing school to help reduce recidivism in female juvenile delinquents. I did not know that the rate of violent crimes committed by teenage girls is growing at four times the rate of boys. Anyway, while the girls are incarcerated they learn table manners, salsa dancing, basic cooking skills and grooming. The goal is to increase self-esteem and hopefully prevent them from becoming career criminals.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

mahalo for the invite to come see uh, the lighter side of Sears?

Would you give a beloved niece or nephew a gift like this? There is a special kid in my life who has mentioned feeling like a doofus is staring back from the mirror. Not that I know how intensive or how expensive a course is, but the thought of what potential good it can do is crossing my mind.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

The whole "corporate honi" thing came up before. Feel free to continue the battle there.

As for charm school... I had no idea. Sears? Fascinating.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

jdub:
    Charming Gentleman.

Ooops. wrong, smokin' thread!

Leave a comment:

• jdub
    replied

I never went to charm school, but Ma made damn sure I knew how to behave like a gentleman at a very early age. Table manners, conversational etiquette, holding doors for the ladies, even how to order wine. Even though I grew up on a ranch shoveling horsesh*t, I was a perfect little gentleman. It helped me get gigs on Magnum PI and a host of local print, radio and TV ads. Thanks, Ma!

I was unaware that there was a charm school in Hawai'i.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

I wasn't recommended it and by misnaming it, I was mocking it. I wouldn't put my girls through that stuff either.

Edit: Don't want to come off whiny here! EeeeK! Hmmm. Wine. Now there's an idea!

Leave a comment:

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Aren't there a few of these modeling/etiquette schools conducted by former models and Miss Somebodys all over the place? And then there's that Lisa Marie Tea Party place downtown somewhere?
    Lavagal. Get a grip. Elvis' daughter never had a Tea Room on Oahu.

It's the "Lisa Rose Doll House and Tea Room."

EEEEEEK! ACCCCKKKKKK! Blecccchy-pooo-pooo!

I have two daughters and six granddaughters.

I would much rather grab the boogie boards, sand chairs, sunblock and snackies and head for the beach!!

http://www.lisarosehawaii.com/

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Aren't there a few of these modeling/etiquette schools conducted by former models and Miss Somebodys all over the place? And then there's that Lisa Marie Tea Party place downtown somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• glossyp
    replied

I think there is much benefit in learning the things taught in charm/finishing school and/or modeling school. A lot of it has to do with boosting your confidence in social situations. The topic brings back some great memories of when I actually taught classes on Western table manners and general etiquette for Korean diplomats and legislators who were travelling (many for the first time) overseas to Europe or the U.S. Some very funny experiences.
    Last edited by glossyp; November 10, 2006, 01:30 PM. Reason: clarity - as usual

Leave a comment:

Working...
X