Did you get good grades in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you get good grades in school?

High school, college... did you strive to get good grades in school?

Personally, I didn't. Sure, I shined in a few classes (mostly, because it related to computers and I knew that stuff) but mostly (especially in college) I almost didn't pass.

I didn't see myself learning the stuff then spitting it out on tests (atleast not that fast - I eventually learned it... after the final exam)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Did you get good grades in school?

in high school, i did quite well (As & Bs) in everything but chemistry and math higher than algebra 2. i struggled thru trig. on the other hand, i had As in AP English (both literature and language) and a B in AP US History. those classes offset a few Ds so that I grad with a 3.3.

college the first time?....eeeehhhh, i cut too many classes at UH. twas my rebellious period. i should be ashamed to say that i cut too many of my beloved 400 level english classes to have gotten the Bs i somehow managed. for most of my twenties, the lack of a degree and the bad grades i got in college didn't seem to matter much, career-wise.

college now? i'm older and wiser, and have hit a glass ceiling. most hawaii employers view where you went to high school as more of an asset than whether or where you went to college until you get into management or more technical positions. i've hit that glass ceiling where my skills, experience, talent, and yes, high school aren't enough to take me higher. so, i've gone back to finish what should have been only three or so more semesters to my BA. this time, i'm at HPU. and my grades so far have been straight As and quite likely, i've been at or near the top of each class i've taken.

this is the part where i rehash my wish, adrian, that you go back to school when you're ready. you're too smart not to. it'll make a difference in the long run.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Grammar school and High School were easy as pi. A's and B's without even taking home a book.

College was somewhat interesting for a while. Then I realized that many of my professors were not wealthy. So I jumped ship and started my first business. The rest is hi$tory.

You are born smart or stupid. College will not change a thing. It is unlikely that a college education will teach you how to make a living. Some of the smartest folks I know never went. Some of the richest folks I know never finished. A papered degree is essential to become a doctor, lawyer, or indian chief. But as an employer, I will tell you that any prospect is suspect when his resume is stuffed with academic achievement. Show me the money.

I would sooner hire an employee who is ex-military than a college graduate in almost every single situation.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I learned more from the History Channel than I ever did in all my years in school...and that includes those boring History classes at UH Manoa.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was top of my class for grammar school. Skated through high school paying more attention to girls than books. And eventually turned the corner in college, becoming dean's list material with two degrees.

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          You are born smart or stupid. College will not change a thing. It is unlikely that a college education will teach you how to make a living. Some of the smartest folks I know never went. Some of the richest folks I know never finished. A papered degree is essential to become a doctor, lawyer, or indian chief. But as an employer, I will tell you that any prospect is suspect when his resume is stuffed with academic achievement. Show me the money.

I would sooner hire an employee who is ex-military than a college graduate in almost every single situation.
          Actually, people are born in an infinite range between genius and profoundly retarded. Thank goodness, too. If people were born only smart or stupid, I have a feeling we'd be far outnumbered by the latter. And that would make for some boring conversation indeed.

I agree wholeheartedly that a college degree does not bestow upon its owner the requisite knowledge of how to make a living. College is merely a device to pass on specific information--a tool if you will. Much the same as a gun is. My generation has found it necessary to have a college education to succeed where previous generations did not. So, all other factors being equal, you don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Idiocy & incompetence cut across all educational, organizational and occupational lines. And maybe it's just coincidence that one of the best real estate appraisers I know has an MBA. But good luck finding freshly discharged ex-military prospects who can show you the money on their resumes. I know of a few generals, however, who came up short on troop estimates needed to conquer and control a third-world country. Interested?

P.S.

You may want to rethink your hiring policy. That line of reasoning would have you hiring Vietnam War enlistee Al Gore over draft-dodging Yalie George W. Bush. Bill O'Reilly would not approve in the least!
          Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; March 18, 2007, 03:33 AM. Reason: The sugar kicked in
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Grade school -- did very well.

Junior high school -- not so well.

High school -- never attended.

University -- pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Tim, please refresh my memory --- your own military experience was...?

Comment

Grade school? except English straight A's
                High school? Well straight A's homeschooled graduated at 16.
                College? none
                6 siblings...no money...means I work
                Only one brother made it to college but only through Air Force. He graduates next month. With a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. And an Associates in Crazy and Insane.
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

K-8 I did very well. Top of the class and as a result, was accepted into the Honors Program in HS.

My grades slipped a little in HS because it was a big transition. Rebelled a lot because I wanted my mom to pull me out so that I could go to public school. I came to my senses once I realized my mom was working hard just to pay the thousands of dollars for tuition because my alma mater didn't have scholarships back then. I was a member of NHS and took all the AP classes I could...except AP Calculus. Math was never a strong subject. Did extremely well on the SAT and managed to get into 8 of the 10 colleges and universities I applied to.

I got lazy in college and cut too many classes, but still managed to get by and still maintain my scholarships. By this time my mom cut me off financially so I was responsible for financing my own way. Took me six years to get my BA, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Elementary - did all right early on but received much better grades from 3rd - 6th grade, was in some extra "Science Enrichment" program with a few other kids that got me out of English class after recess which made me happy. Played sports at the school too and they named me female scholar athlete for my grades so I was happy about that.

Intermediate - did very well, was enrolled in all honors classes from the start and kept up with them. Had near perfect attendance, too. Only time I missed a class was when I was bedridden.

High school - erm, well, I did really good in 9th grade...and I was in the national honor roll thing for that year....but somewhere along the way I decided I hated school and stopped going altogether. Failed 10th grade, made it up easily in summer school since I only had to redo World History which I love oddly enough, then dropped out in 11th grade 'cause everything about school (aside from my friends) was pissing me off.

College - still struggling just to keep myself interested in school and going in at all, but for all the classes that I don't hate I get very good grades. If I'm forced to take something I don't want to, like English or math, then I'm not gonna pass it 'cause I just don't care about them. But stuff like Japanese, art, ICS...got great grades there. I was on academic probation after my first 2 semesters, but then I picked it up in the third and even got on the Dean's List. Now I've kind of fallen back into old habits because I don't really like my classes. Really not interested in continuing after this semester. Only reason I'm going is so my mom will stop yelling about how she would have to pay big money for my medical insurance.
                    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

If there were subjects in "partying," that would be my major. From high school to college, I'm sure I would be a rhode scholar and magna cum laude graduate. My younger years were filled with living and breathing were the next party was. In doing so, my grades turned out o...k... in high school with generally B's and an occasional gentlemen's C.

My high school grades carried me to apply to 2 party campuses U.C. Santa Barbara or San Diego State Univ. Unfortunately, playing football and partying every weekend did not measure up to UCSB's request to graduate with 3 A's in 3 of my core subjects during my last semester. So, you know where I ended up.

At that time, it was the #2 party school in the nation and striving to become #1. I had some unforgettable moments, esp. with my grades. I thought for sure, I was going to flunk out. Maybe I should have taken the military route. My early years were plagued with poor study habits and the occasional academic probation status.

But somehow, I managed to get by, and made it out in 6 years. It was the best 6 years of my life !!! I managed classes in sociology and economics, but somehow ended up in the heathcare industry as a profession. Go figure! A lot of my maturing and developing definitely came in my last 2 years in the university.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                        [...]Took me six years to get my BA, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.
                        Sounds like you have a great mom, Lei.

Let's see...
                        Loved school so done good!
                        Top 10, grades 7 thru 12.
                        Eventually gradumacated from the University of Nepotism with flying colors! That "degree" is still holding me in good stead today!

Comment

I'm no genius. I'm at least smart enough to know that.

Highschool was a joke I think I graduated with a 3.5/6 (I can't remember). I never once got straight A's. Though, I probably could of if I didn't refuse to do busy work. Nothing was more frustrating than sitting in a required class doing word searches and crossword puzzles. The one that really frustrated me was teen health where we had to write daily current events. I don't mind keeping up on the news, but in teen health? come on you got to be kidding me? Luckily I got out of taking a lot of classes because of my computer skills. I talked the counselor into letting me do independent study and ended up helping out in the computer lab, fixing teachers computers, and working on things like 808Blogs.

I'm attending Byu-Hawaii (what a joke only 5 mins from my High school) right now, and am in my second semester. I managed to get straight A's my first semester, and am quite proud of myself. I actually think college is easier than high school, though that may change as I advance up into the upper level courses.
                          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Sounds like you have a great mom, Lei.
                            Indeed I do! Mom actually went back to college last year and hopfeully she'll have her own degree soon! Pretty good for someone who took a 25 year break!

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                            I'm attending Byu-Hawaii (what a joke only 5 mins from my High school) right now, and am in my second semester. I managed to get straight A's my first semester, and am quite proud of myself. I actually think college is easier than high school, though that may change as I advance up into the upper level courses.
                            IMO, college is definitely easier with the intro classes -- but in my experience, a lot of people flunk out because they're lazy and they don't know what to do with all this new freedom.

I don't know how class sizes are like at BYUH, but as I got to upper level courses and my classes went from the big lecture halls to a small seminar room, it really was intimidating. I actually missed taking tests because I was so sick of writing papers and essays.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Always got A's and B's in elementary except for "Conduct" grades. Similar grades in high school till I dropped out(took proficiency test). Straight A's in college so of course I never finished.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X