Migraine Headache Remedies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraine Headache Remedies?

They started this year, migraine headaches. I don't know if they are brought on by the meds I am taking for in vitro fertilization (IVF), but I got a wicked one last night. It was literally the worst headache of my life, which escalated into nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

I know migraines are a common malady and I'd like to know if there are any headache sufferers here on HT -- and what do you do to prevent or treat your migraines?

I'll be on these meds for the next month, so I am expecting more migraines. When the next one comes, I want to be prepared.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Migraine Headache Remedies?

Quiet and dark room.

My doctor gives me steroids to break the cycle.

I also use hot packs, wintergreen mixed with baby oil and alcohol to rubbed on the area. Den massaged by someone till I fall asleep. Sometimes the massage don't help....the pain is so intense. I scream and throw everything in sight.

I've used injections, nose sprays, acupuncture, etc....all were failures.

The newest medication that works is Fiorinal. One tablet every six hours as needed for headache. It is a wonder drug to me.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Donna View Post
      They started this year, migraine headaches. I don't know if they are brought on by the meds I am taking for in vitro fertilization (IVF), but I got a wicked one last night. It was literally the worst headache of my life, which escalated into nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

I know migraines are a common malady and I'd like to know if there are any headache sufferers here on HT -- and what do you do to prevent or treat your migraines?

I'll be on these meds for the next month, so I am expecting more migraines. When the next one comes, I want to be prepared.

All suggestions are appreciated!
      You be trying to get hapai and taking all kinds stuff that's messing with your body causing chemical imbalances and hormonal upheavals so I suggest you talk to your doc to see what he recommends or can prescribe. You'll want something that won't interfere with the meds or cause harm to what counts.

My wife gets the occasional migraine. Most recentlly she felt like her left eyeball was going to pop out. She took 800 mgs of ibuprofen and slept for 8 hours in a dark, air conditioned room.

When we were in England, someone gave her a bottle of lavender oil as an aromatherapy remedy. Didn't work.

Comment

I know this may sound odd, but on a recent website, Madonna was shown wearing these "rose colored" glasses and somebody was commenting on how they didn't like them, etc. ANyway, somebody on that board said that Rose colored glasses are frequently used to help migraines and headaches so that is why she was wearing them.

I have no idea how true that is, but it I googled rose colored glasses and rose tinted glasses and it seems it is a fact for some people.
        n'importe

Comment

An aquaintence of mine has been known to take a few huffs off of an oxygen tank when she gets migraines. She claims it helps, and quickly. Apparently her doctor suggested she try it, but I've never heard of any other doctors prescribing oxygen for migrains.

My wife gets the migrains pretty bad (run in her family) and the best thing she's found is, like eveyone else says, dark, quiet, air conditioned room.
          Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

I will try to employ them and see what works for me!

I'm also going to treat myself to a massage and acupuncture treatment to see if that helps, too. If nothing else, at least it'll be relaxing, right?

Comment

Water, Water, Water. I used to get migraines. Have not had one in 15 years. Doc told me that water is the magical cure. Dehydration being the primary problem. If you just started taking new meds, than that explains it. Your body is using lots more water trying to metabolize the new meds.

Here's the scrip he gave me. Drink 1 full bottle (1.5 liters) of water in the morning BEFORE you leave the house. Takes about 90 minutes to slug down that much water, which is about the length of my morning routine. Drink all you coffee, or juice, or tea, or soda, or whatever else you like. But remember, all those things are NOT water.

Or just go with the naysayers and skeptics who say that water won't help. Cuz I've given this advice before, and saw the skeptics tear me up.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                Water, Water, Water. I used to get migraines. Have not had one in 15 years. Doc told me that water is the magical cure. Dehydration being the primary problem. If you just started taking new meds, than that explains it. Your body is using lots more water trying to metabolize the new meds.

Here's the scrip he gave me. Drink 1 full bottle (1.5 liters) of water in the morning BEFORE you leave the house. Takes about 90 minutes to slug down that much water, which is about the length of my morning routine. Drink all you coffee, or juice, or tea, or soda, or whatever else you like. But remember, all those things are NOT water.

Or just go with the naysayers and skeptics who say that water won't help. Cuz I've given this advice before, and saw the skeptics tear me up.
                Heh, good point. Our Mel is notorious for not drinking water throughout the day. Then in the afternoon she'll complain of a headache. We give her a bottle of water, make sure she drinks it and in 20 minutes her headache is gone. I also used to get headaches, till I met my wife. She's an "advocate" for taking water with us wherever we go and making sure we drink anytime, anyplace, thirsty or not. I no longer get those dehydration headaches. I have other sources for them now.

Comment

Working...
                X