Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    One of Hawaii's largest eggs farms, Waialua Fresh, faces controversy | Business | kitv.com

Egg scent lent.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Re: Egg Recall

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nut...wwo?li=BBnba9O

Don't eat until you see the whites of the eggs.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/16...185900077.html

She got eggs. She knows how to use them.

Leave a comment:

• escondido100
    replied

we may be eating those recalled eggs someday soon. they are cracking them and pasturizing them and using them as liquid egg product for all kinds of uses....baking etc. yuck.

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

Thanks for all the info. I only eat hard-boiled or well scrambled eggs that I make. No mayo or miso soup or Rocky-style egg pounding for me. So since I only eat mine cooked, I guess I didn't think about all the ways you eat them uncooked.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    [...]
    A friend of mine on the Big Island also found that her 2 recently purchased egg cartons, from Safeway in Kona, were stamped with an affected plant number and date code.
    I just heard from my BI friend. She took her eggs back to Safeway and was told the date code didn't match exactly to the plant #. She kept the eggs!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    According to today's paper, Safeway is still in denial, saying that the plant number and date code must both match exactly, and none have shown up in hawaii.... you took pictures sue? I believe you B4 them!
    Yep, I have photos! If I had the appropriate cable with me, I'd upload the photo. My carton shows P-1686, date code 202. That said, Safeway says (via a message to me from Hawaii News Now) the recall involves only the 5 dozen packs. What I'd like to know is...what machine sorted the eggs into 5 dozen and 1 dozen packs and how did it know to put possibly tainted eggs into only the larger packs?

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

A supplier in egg recall has history of violations

UPDATE: More shell eggs added to recall list on August 20 & 21, 2010

Recall – Affected Brands and Descriptions

A friend of mine on the Big Island also found that her 2 recently purchased egg cartons, from Safeway in Kona, were stamped with an affected plant number and date code.
    According to today's paper, Safeway is still in denial, saying that the plant number and date code must both match exactly, and none have shown up in hawaii.... you took pictures sue? I believe you B4 them!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

A supplier in egg recall has history of violations

UPDATE: More shell eggs added to recall list on August 20 & 21, 2010

Recall – Affected Brands and Descriptions

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Sure, you could cook your eggs thoroughly, but that takes away the pleasure of eating eggs, at least where I’m concerned. I like my eggs runny. And I think a lot of other people do, too.

Besides what Scrivener noted, there’s also the traditionally prepared Cesar Salad, where a raw egg (or coddled egg) is added to the dressing. There’s also the traditionally made hollandaise, mayonnaise, or aioli sauce, where oil or butter is incorporated into egg yolks that are just barely heated to the point where they don’t get scrambled.

For me, I like to drop in a raw egg to miso soup and let it poach a while, then break it and let the egg yolks mix with the soup. I also like to cook (and eat) French-style omelettes, which is slightly runny.

There’s always the threat of salmonella in eggs. This was true before this massive egg recall, and will remain so after this passes. So I think you just have to be aware of it, use caution when necessary, and decide for yourself. For me, I choose not to be afraid of eggs and enjoy them when I can.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Excerpted from an L.A. Times FAQ:

Can't I just cook the eggs to kill the bacteria?

Yes. "Eggs if fully cooked don't pose a threat. But the problem is a lot of people like to eat their eggs sunny side up or make hollandaise sauce," Jeff LeJeune, an associate professor at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center at Ohio State University and an expert in salmonella contamination, said. "We want to reduce the threat as much as possible."

How can I be sure that cooked eggs are free of salmonella?

Both the egg white and egg yolk should be firm throughout and have no visible liquid remaining.

Are pasteurized eggs free from salmonella?

Pasteurized eggs are safe, LeJeune said. "I highly recommend pasteurized eggs for people at risk for severe illness from salmonella or for people who are healthy and choose to use raw eggs in ice cream or hollandaise sauce," he said. Liquid egg products sold in cartons are also pasteurized and free from salmonella.

Are other eggs safe?

There's always some threat of salmonella poisoning from raw eggs.

Can I get sick from handling raw eggs contaminated with salmonella?

Yes, so wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs. It's rare to develop salmonella poisoning from handling eggshells alone.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I put a raw egg over veggies and rice all the time. The rice does some cooking, but not enough to kill the salmonella if the people on TV are to be believed. And my preferred preparation for a breakfast egg is sunny-side up, also not recommended by the folks on TV. Mmmmmm. Love those runny yolks. And of course sukiyaki's not nearly as good when you don't have a raw egg for dipping.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    but don't you cook eggs before eating them?
    How many people still do the Rocky Balboa thing of drinking a glass of raw eggs?

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

Not to sound totally ignorant here, but don't you cook eggs before eating them? Wouldn't that kill the salmonella? I know salmonella comes from raw chicken...so wouldn't cooking your eggs solve that problem? Or is it different since it's not meat? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but every time I see this, it keeps popping into my head.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

I don't think anyone is going to argue against buying local, price notwithstanding. But buying local is NOT what this thread is about. It's strictly about warning HTers that Safeway's statement that no recalled eggs were shipped to Hawaii is untrue and to encourage anyone who bought eggs at Safeway to check the carton for the plant numbers.
    Thanks for the reminder Sue. I didn't mean to drive us OT, but my mind wanders. It started with, "I never did trust Safeway eggs. 'Shell Protected' indeed! And with what? Marine spar varnish? And how long does it take to get here, etc."
    That evolved into my "buy local" rant. Just getting old.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X