X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coqui frogs on Big Island

Lime OK’d for use against coqui frogs
    Rod Thompson, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Thursday, April 28, 2005
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved the use of hydrated lime to kill coqui frogs in Hawaii for the next three years... Lime costs about one-tenth as much as the next-best coqui killer approved to date, citric acid."That's good news," said Billy Kenoi, Big Island Mayor Harry Kim's anti-coqui assistant... A few people actually enjoy the high-pitched call of male coquis, but with coquis reaching 12,000 per acre in some places, others are worried about a biological disaster... Hawaii County is continuing to seek up to $2 million this legislative session to control the frogs, [Kenoi] said.
    There's also a sidebar about how a guy at UH found a way to trap the frogs with old PVC pipes.

Comment

Re: Coqui frogs on the Big Island

Where I live in Kona, the Coqui haven't invaded yet. Probably because of
      there is a lot of houses around where I live and the environment is not conducive for them.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

The Croqui frogs make noise. In Germany, the toads there are EXPLODING! per http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7654561/?GT/=6428

Maybe, we need to bring in some crows?
        Last edited by 1stwahine; April 28, 2005, 01:16 PM. Reason: not frogs...it's toads!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
          there is a lot of houses around where I live and the environment is not conducive for them.
          Ditto...divine retribution for those four lane roads.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
            Too dry in Kona
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Well it's getting pretty dry down by the ocean where I live. Recently you could hear the coqui getting closer to us with the recent bit of rain we were encountering, however we haven't had any rain in these parts for over four days already and things are drying out hence the coqui frogs have backed off as well.

Anybody seen a good water wagon lately? My tanks are getting a bit lean.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Well it's getting pretty dry down by the ocean where I live. Recently you could hear the coqui getting closer to us with the recent bit of rain we were encountering, however we haven't had any rain in these parts for over four days already and things are drying out hence the coqui frogs have backed off as well.

Anybody seen a good water wagon lately? My tanks are getting a bit lean.
                So I heard that the state legislature only allocated $200k for the coqui problem...FOR THE ENTIRE STATE. Looks like we're going to be living with the little bastards for a while.
                I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                X