This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another HT member health issue

So Likanui... the doctors can't figure out why?
    Or is there nothing more you or they can do to help correct this?

I'm truly feeling for you and wishing you all the very bestest!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      And yes, I’ve been eating well, exercising, etc.
      But do you still smoke? Smokers have a harder time controlling their blood glucose levels, because insulin resistance is increased by smoking. It's a tough step to take, but it's time.

Comment

And yes, I’ve been eating well, exercising, etc.
        How then to explain 5/10/11 "I did go to Haleiwa Joe's last week and had a wonderful filet mignon. Ahhhh...I don't know if that was good for my health issues or not, but frankly, I didn't care."

or 7/22/11 "...then finished it all with a custard-filled chocolate eclair."

There is no mystery about what causes diabetes and/or high blood sugar. Lose weight, quit smoking and eat a low-fat, unprocessed, mostly plant based diet and it will go away. Or stay in denial and tell everyone that you're eating right and exercising and your sky-high blood sugar is just a complete medical mystery. Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaleKea View Post
          [...]
          or 7/22/11 "...then finished it all with a custard-filled chocolate eclair."

There is no mystery about what causes diabetes and/or high blood sugar. Lose weight, quit smoking and eat a low-fat, unprocessed, mostly plant based diet and it will go away. Or stay in denial and tell everyone that you're eating right and exercising and your sky-high blood sugar is just a complete medical mystery. Your choice.
          Admitting to type 1 diabetes and to eating a choc. eclair? Continuing to smoke and justifying it (see post 8)? One nail after another...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Admitting to type 1 diabetes and to eating a choc. eclair? Continuing to smoke and justifying it (see post 8)? One nail after another...
            Let's look at my actual posts.

5/10: Mostly salads and veggies and grilled chicken, but I did go to Haleiwa Joe's last week and had a wonderful filet mignon. Ahhhh...
            I don't know if that was good for my health issues or not, but frankly, I didn't care.

7/22: I grilled two pieces of chicken and had some corn (no butter),then finished it all with a custard-filled chocolate eclair.

Makes a whole lot of difference if people would quote the entire sentence.
            So I've been eating really well, but twice IN 2-1/2 MONTHS I splurged because of special occasions.
            Sue me.
            As for smoking, I didn't "justify" anything. Look back at post #8 and all I did was note that I'd been smoking since the 1970s. That's merely a background fact, not a justification.
            Sheesh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

As for smoking, I didn't "justify" anything. Look back at post #8 and all I did was note that I'd been smoking since the 1970s. That's merely a background fact, not a justification.
              Like I said, as tough as it is, you probably need to kick it at last - it could be a key factor in improving your health.

There's a long history of diabetes in my family; it's a demon that doesn't bargain ("if I do some healthy changes, shouldn't I get some benefits?") Sometimes, it can be all or nothing; you gotta go whole hog in the lifestyle changes, or you see no real results. And even then, no guarantees.

In some cases, even the splurges can kill you. It sucks, big time, no question. And it's obviously your call as to what you do. Getting sympathy from us here will only carry you for so long - and it won't keep you alive. "Man up," as the kids say (actually, they don't), and get your isht together ... for your own survival.

Comment

So I've been eating really well, but twice IN 2-1/2 MONTHS I splurged because of special occasions.
                With 400 blood sugar, that's just flat bull. It is not possible to sustain those levels "eating really well."

The claim to be a Type 1 diabetic without the need for insulin was also, by definition, bull.

Apparently the only one you're convincing is yourself. Not much point to this con. By winning, you lose. Game over. What irony.

Comment

you are very new on here - where is all this hostility coming from?
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    you are very new on here - [...]
                    Joined March 2008.

Comment

Hostility? Nah, just low tolerance for BS. Where's the benefit to anyone in claiming that a disease fully controllable with lifestyle choices is some sort of modern medical mystery? The consequences of conning yourself on the matter are fairly severe. You wanna fix it, do it. You don't, hey, your choice. All the tea and sympathy in the world aren't going to change the outcome.

Comment

Hello.

Choices. It's all about Choices. Period.

MAMA goes to dialysis 3x a week. She and her friends are on borrowed time. I'm borderline. But I make the choices....(excuses)

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          [...]But I make the choices....(excuses)

Auntie Lynn
                          See, Auntie, there's the difference...you're honest with yourself when you admit to excuses. You also didn't start a thread about your condition, asking for help from HTers, while not doing the best you can to take care of yourself. I think we all know that for every "sin" (bad food choice, for example) we publicly admit to there are many others that go unmentioned. As we both know, the only person who can help LikaNui is...LikaNui. Doctors and HTers can't make the choices for him.

I knew a local bass player back in the 80s and early 90s who was also diabetic. He enjoyed his life and just wasn't willing to do what it took to manage his condition. He'd make good choices when it was convenient for him but, for the most part, the choices weren't good. He never complained about his condition even as we watched his illness progress. One night a group of his friends were at his gig and we could tell he wasn't feeling well. He ended up in the ER that night and never got out of the hospital. He was 37 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            And it's obviously your call as to what you do.
                            It certainly is.

Getting sympathy from us here will only carry you for so long - and it won't keep you alive.
                            Well, it's a good thing I never asked for sympathy even once. I couldn't care less about sympathy, especially from a bunch of strangers.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            See, Auntie, there's the difference...you're honest with yourself when you admit to excuses. You also didn't start a thread about your condition, asking for help from HTers,
                            Neither did I. Let's look at my post that started this thread:

"Since Tatt and others have posted about their issues, I guess I should dive in and see if anyone here is diabetic.
                            Some of you know I've had some health issues recently. It all started about a dozen years ago when I was diagnosed with Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes.
                            Well, a couple of days ago I saw a doctor due to some more severe problems, and he tested my blood sugar. Normal is around 100, and mine was... 399. So I'm right at 4 times normal. Not good at all, obviously. Are you familiar with the phrase "dead man walking"?
                            He changed me from Type 2 up to a full-on Type 1 diabetes, and changed my medications. Still not having to do daily insulin shots, but that may be coming if the medications don't work. I've also altered my diet, of course.
                            Wish me luck, please. And if you have diabetes knowledge, feel free to pass it along. "

If that last sentence offends anyone as "asking for help," you need to get over yourselves.
                            And look at the first sentence of the first post, where it mentions Tatt and a few others. I started this thread mainly to let them know they aren't alone.
                            Also, I have other issues that are more severe than the diabetes, but quite frankly they're none of anyone else's business. Some HTers know about things, and I thank you all for your e-mails and PMs.
                            You know, it's no wonder that so many of the former HT "regulars" have bailed out of here and don't post any more.
                            Moderators, I started this thread, and I now ask you to lock it, for obvious reasons.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hilarious. Could have pulled that "no wonder so many former regulars have bailed" line from any of a hundred threads.

Mommy's not gonna make it stop. Don't get your knickers in a knot. You pays your money you takes your ticket. Y'got yourself convinced you're living the clean, healthy life...rock on. But your own commentary makes it near impossible to convince anyone else.

Comment

I started this thread mainly to let them know they aren't alone.
                                LikaNui, please just take what helpful information you can from the posts, and let the other ones go by. Some people mean well, but their written wording might not "read" the way they intended.

You know, it's no wonder that so many of the former HT "regulars" have bailed out of here and don't post any more.
                                I'd have to agree with that, sadly. It can get mighty cranky around here.

Be well!
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X