Baby Boomers and Hepatitis C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Boomers and Hepatitis C

CDC to baby boomers: Get tested for hepatitis C (StarBulletin)

All baby boomers should get a one-time blood test to learn if they have the liver-destroying hepatitis C virus, U.S. health officials said today.It can take decades for the blood-borne virus to cause liver damage and symptoms to emerge, so many people don't know they're harboring it. Baby boomers account for about two-thirds of the estimated 3.2 million infected Americans.
    It's possible some people were infected in ways other than dirty needles or long-ago blood transfusions. Some experts say tattoos, piercings, shared razor blades and toothbrushes, manicures and sniffed cocaine may have caused the virus to spread in some cases. However it happened, health officials say baby boomers are five times more likely to be infected than other adults.
    Good grief, what next for boomers to worry about? And if there are all these older adults with undiagnosed Hep C, what about their children, who have grown up in a household with Hep C, without the forewarning of taking precautions.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Baby Boomers and Hepatitis C

This report is just sheer fearmongering unless one was using drugs
    with needles or having sex with infected individuals.

The test labs stand to make a great deal of money by creating fear
    amongst those who have something hidden in their past behavior.

Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post

Good grief, what next for boomers to worry about? And if there are all these older adults with undiagnosed Hep C, what about their children, who have grown up in a household with Hep C, without the forewarning of taking precautions.
      OMG! My PCP just told me I have liver readings that are out of the normal range. I guess I better get tested!
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        OMG! My PCP just told me I have liver readings that are out of the normal range. I guess I better get tested!
        It may not be HepC, but you could suffer liver damage from excessive use of acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.), or from statins (cholesterol-lowing drugs); if you regularly use either of these meds, your PCP should want to monitor your liver numbers regularly - as it appears they are doing. But yes, get the HepC test.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          from statins (cholesterol-lowing drugs); if you regularly use either of these meds, your PCP should want to monitor your liver numbers regularly.
          I take statins and consequently have blood test every 6 months. Everything is normal, praise Maui.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The over usage of tylenol causes thousands of deaths per year.
            Acetaminophen is very toxic to the liver when combined with alcohol.

Many over the counter meds contain this vile substance.

Read the fine print and stop consuming poison..

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Sorry, it is StarAdvertiser, and that first link is no longer working. But this one might be OK.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                This report is just sheer fear mongering unless one was using drugs with needles or having sex with infected individuals.

The test labs stand to make a great deal of money by creating fear amongst those who have something hidden in their past behavior.

Caveat Emptor.
                Not quite. There are other viable means of infection - early plasma donation, to name one.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                X