Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Drink a Day

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...udy-finds?lite=

I thought a drink a day is supposed to be good for you.

Re: A Drink a Day

One of the beneficial agents in red wine is said to be resveratrol, which is available as a supplement. I started taking resveratrol capsules a year and a half ago after reading of a study showing that resveratrol kills an appreciable number of cancer cells in patients with colon cancer (I don't have the reference at hand). I'm not recommending it, though (nor red wine).

Good places to look for summaries of what evidence there is on this are MSKCC revsveratrol summary and Barrett's article from Quackwatch.
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      One of the beneficial agents in red wine is said to be resveratrol, which is available as a supplement. I started taking resveratrol capsules a year and a half ago after reading of a study showing that resveratrol kills an appreciable number of cancer cells in patients with colon cancer
      The more positive approach is to eat foods that don't cause colon cancer - organically grown fresh fruits and vegetable and high fiber grains and vegetables. Limit your intake of red meats, processed foods, and alcohol and you won't need resveratrol.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Limit your intake of red meats, processed foods, and alcohol and you won't need resveratrol.
        I doubt very much that you have any evidence at all that what you say here is true. Specifically, I'm referring to your claim that there is some connection between limiting intake of the 3 things you mention and any hypothetical need for resveratrol.
        Greg

Comment

... a study showing that resveratrol kills an appreciable number of cancer cells in patients with colon cancer (I don't have the reference at hand).
          Here is the reference: Clinical Pharmacology of Resveratrol and its Metabolites in Colorectal Cancer Patients.
          Greg

Comment

I doubt very much that you have any evidence at all that what you say here is true.
            I guess you are right if you want to ignore all the medical research on the subject.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I guess you are right if you want to ignore all the medical research on the subject.
              Actually, the medical research (like most medical research) is ambiguous.

My wife, who recently had a double mastectomy due to detection of breast cancer by one doctor, had another oncologist say: "You didn't really have cancer, just the early stages of possible cancer." (Though her surgeon recommended 2x mastectomy vs. lumpectomy & radiation.) (I will say NO MORE about this!)

The oncologist commented: "Think of it as just 'rust in your pipes.'..."
              Such are Kaiser docs....

Though I'm sure he wanted to comfort her, it backfired. She responded: "Well, maybe I should have called a plumber!"

She cried all day. My shoulder was NOT enough.

Medical research changes daily. They test different people, they get different results.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

You Should Probably Stop Drinking These Beverages Immediately (msn.com)

The only beverage you can drink is untapped water.

Comment

As Little As One Alcoholic Drink a Day Could Raise Blood Pressure, Study Finds (yahoo.com)

This goes against what I always thought that a drink a day is good for you.

Comment

What alcohol is 'healthiest'? Nutritionists share their top picks (yahoo.com)

Drink Responsibly.

Comment

It’s National Beer Day! Where to celebrate in Honolulu | KHON2

Mmmm...Beer!

Comment

Working...
                      X