X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deadly Flu Virus

Originally posted by Miulang
    For now, Tita, we're still reasonably safe. The H5N1 virus has not mutated into a form that can be transmitted from human to human yet. More than likely, that will change over time, though. Hopefully we have enough time to come up with better ways to detect it and vaccines to immunize the population from the human borne version.

It goes make me wonder, though, if we all shouldn't turn into vegan vegetarians: there's swine flu, mad cow disease, avian flu, mercury contamination in fish, arsenic in the water...and then there's GMO vegetables which might cause you to glow in the dark (joke)...

Miulang
    Wow! Da way they was talking this morning sure wen ruin my Big Breakfast! I should have watch Yobo Movie with MAMA in da living room! Da nerve.

Yeah, we get all kinds of problems in this World of ours. It still goes round and round. Whatever may happen, happens for a reason. The strong will survive. I intend to Survive...I, pUpuLe das why! Everytime I go up dea, they send me back down.

Auntie Lynn

btw: I already GLOW in the dark from my "crazy" Medications! hahahaha

BTW, Tita, Welcome home! How was your vacation in Europe? It was awesome! I just came back from Tokyo, Japan. Next stop - Sweeden!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; March 13, 2006, 08:21 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If you do a search on MSN for Avian flu, they show you a timeline from a while back about the Avian Flu. I was a public health major and so I see/hear a lot about it. It has actually been found in europe and the mainland but not very proliferant up here on the mainland. I think it was one east coast farm that had it. Nothing widespread...yet. But they are finding it in more wild birds which is pretty dangerous since they migrate and spread it. It's also recently been found in Egypt or somewhere near. There are hwoeer other strains that are similar but not as strong as the H5N1.

Hawaii's pretty lucky cuz there aren't many if any birds that migrate over there right? Just gotta make sure customs is checking all those birds in quarantine.

Comment

Originally posted by mauiwahine05
        If you do a search on MSN for Avian flu, they show you a timeline from a while back about the Avian Flu. I was a public health major and so I see/hear a lot about it. It has actually been found in europe and the mainland but not very proliferant up here on the mainland. I think it was one east coast farm that had it. Nothing widespread...yet. But they are finding it in more wild birds which is pretty dangerous since they migrate and spread it. It's also recently been found in Egypt or somewhere near. There are hwoeer other strains that are similar but not as strong as the H5N1.

Hawaii's pretty lucky cuz there aren't many if any birds that migrate over there right? Just gotta make sure customs is checking all those birds in quarantine.
        Kolea migrate from Alaska to Hawai'i every year. If the migration pattern of H5N1 is as the WHO predicts, the virus will spread to migrating flocks from Europe over to the northern part of North America, which conceivably could mean Alaska. If that happens, then the Kolea could be a vector to bring bird flu to Hawai'i.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Additional information about migratory birds from Alaska as a vector for H5N1 and Hawai'i being a place that could see the avian flu virus soon (they are still monitoring for West Nile virus too). So if you see any dead birds lying around, please call 211 and follow these directions:

Q. What should I do if I find a dead bird?

A. Although officials continue to ask people to turn in bird carcasses that are intact and less than 48 hours old for West Nile virus testing, that could change with the arrival of avian influenza. Until then, use rubber gloves or a plastic bag when picking up dead birds. Double-bag the carcasses and secure tightly. Call 211 to report dead birds, and for more information visit www.state.hi.us/health/.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well, I guess we got to worry!
            http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/20/e...itorial01.html

Yep. It's a coming.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

will it be enough? 3 million in supplies and only 20 more beds?

Try LOOK
              Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Well, Hawai'i made it into the national news spotlight again today when CNN did a report on the kinds of things Hawai'i will be doing if a traveller from Asia tests positive for H5N1 avian flu at the airport. One thing the Health Dept. is prepared to do is quarantine the whole planeload of people who travel with the passenger with the H5N1 virus. Man would I be upset if I was one of those whose entire vacation was spent in quarantine because some selfish person decided to fly instead of staying home because s/he was sick!

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; April 15, 2006, 06:12 PM.

Comment

It's an AP story, and has been circling the globe for a while. Interesting to see how many news outlets -- across the country and around the world -- have published it. Odd how we're supposedly gaining a reputation for vector control because of the looming threat of bird flu, at the same time we're dumping deadly bacteria into our waterways.

Comment

I'm scared for real.

Comment

In today's StarBulletin: http://starbulletin.com/2006/05/12/news/story09.html

"State opens online pandemic resource"

"Islanders who want to know more about avian flu and how to prepare for a possible global pandemic can find comprehensive information on a new state Department of Health Web page."

Ok. Do we worry or do we not? Hmmm...in National News this week they predict a pandemic. For the sake of our families and friends, we better start taking this darn serious and get as much information we can in order to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Then again. There are those like me...who believe if it's time to go...it's time to go. However, I no like go yet!!!!!

I still get ukipila tings to do.

Auntie pUpUle
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; May 12, 2006, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I think all the media coverage and stupid TV movies and shows(like tonight's Numb3rs on CBS ) is a bit too much overkill for a flu found only in birds and that less than 1% of the human population on the planet had contracted through birds.
                        Don't panic untill we have to.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

I still get ukipila tings to do.

Auntie pUpUle
                          What? You mean like get married?

Actually, Tita, the thing is not to panic but to be aware that IF this happens, everybody going be on their own probably for at least 2-3 weeks while the pandemic works its way through the population. The US government is telling people that they can't rely on it to kokua (yeah, look at how well they did handling the Katrina disaster! )and that it's the responsibility of the State and individual citizens to take care of themselves.

The US government is trying to decide how to ration supplies of Tamiflu and other drugs if this pandemic (or another one) hits this country. They're kinda thinking that the first people to get the inoculations will be the healthcare workers and the police and firemen, then the makule guys and people with compromised immune systems and young kids, and finally all the people in between.

"...At the top of the list are workers in vaccine and antiviral-drug plants (40,000 people), followed by medical practitioners and public health workers (8 million to 9 million), people older than 65 with chronic illnesses other than high blood pressure (18 million), and people between 6 months and 65 years at high risk of complications (7 million).

State plans could adjust this list. For example, some public health experts in farm states believe poultry and swine workers should be given experimental pandemic flu vaccines because they are potential links in the transfer of flu viruses from those animals to man...."

If something like this hits, you're going to want to have some food and water stockpiled, and some cash and possibly some disposable surgical masks and gloves. But above all, if something like this hits, you want to stay in your house as much as possible and not go out in crowds or get on an airplane. Most of it is common sense, and the food and medical stockpiles you'd want to have for an emergency kit anyway, but it would probably have to last you more than the 3 days the experts say you should have as a basic emergency kit.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                            I think all the media coverage and stupid TV movies and shows(like tonight's Numb3rs on CBS ) is a bit too much overkill for a flu found only in birds and that less than 1% of the human population on the planet had contracted through birds.
                            Don't panic untill we have to.
                            hELLO? Ukipila money has been spent on information for the Public to obtain on how to prevent or what to expect in case of a Pandemic Outbreak! If you don't start worrying...I dunno what to say.

Either you're Super Human or have Super Powers?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              hELLO? Ukipila money has been spent on information for the Public to obtain on how to prevent or what to expect in case of a Pandemic Outbreak! If you don't start worrying...I dunno what to say.

Either you're Super Human or have Super Powers?

Auntie Lynn
                              It's just that I have better things to worry about, than the bird flu right now.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                What? You mean like get married?

If something like this hits, you're going to want to have some food and water stockpiled, and some cash and possibly some disposable surgical masks and gloves. But above all, if something like this hits, you want to stay in your house as much as possible and not go out in crowds or get on an airplane. Most of it is common sense, and the food and medical stockpiles you'd want to have for an emergency kit anyway, but it would probably have to last you more than the 3 days the experts say you should have as a basic emergency kit.

Miulang
                                Yep! Like getting MARRIED!

I got everything you said to have stockpiled. I could use a bit more cash. As far as going out...I can handle staying home. As long as I have my computa and no catch any VIRUSES & Spywares!

MAMA and I fall in the categories of recieving shots! The Elderly and the Disabled! Antonio is safe too. My kids ~ they protected. Yep. This ain't nuttin nobody betta not worry about.

It's a coming!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X