• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deadly Flu Virus

Originally posted by 1stwahine

It's a coming!

Auntie Lynn

you gotta figure somethings coming.... its been close to 100 yrs since there has been a major outbreak of a disease that kills as easily as the flu.
    so if you think it cant happen I suggest you go to your cupboards/pantry right now and take a quick look.... do you have enough food that will last possibly a month or longer?..... cause if you think about it if alot of ppl get sick HOW will your food get to the islands or even from the docks/airport to the warehouses and from there to the stores? WHO will work the stores.... really think can your family live without those resources... because thats what you risk! your kids looking at you with hunger in their eyes and not being able to do anything because the state has declared martial law and ppl out and about can be shot on site....
    so its your decision plan for a possible future or wen the possiblity comes about... you'll blame yourself for those other things that you had to worry about a few months back....really if all you do is grab some extra cans of tuna spam beans water ect really gonna add to your grocery bill? just buy it and start putting it in you closet or garage somewhere NOT in the kitchen and start saving....you might be glad you did. and if not the flu maybe Hurricane or tsunami, earthquake....you never know what might come and slap us upside the head.
    Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Hui! Kaneohegirl! I may live MWH but dat doesn't mean I lack good judgement. My pantry is full of can goods, gallons of water and other supplies in case anything happens. I have medical supplies, Oxygen and medicines to last three months. Yes, I am always ready.

Toilet Paper, Rice, Paper Towels, etc. etc.

I am a mother of Military Soldiers!

Whatever happens - happens.

However, if I can prevent my loved ones and myself from suffering needlessly I will do anything in my power to prevent it from happening. Something as Big as this nature is nothing to laugh or not worry about. We have enough time to plan and prepare. If the Govt. has spent ukipila money to warn us...we should infact heed it's warning. To ignore it is plain Stupid!

I rest my case.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Hui! Kaneohegirl! I may live MWH but dat doesn't mean I lack good judgement.
        Auntie Lynn
        I wasnt saying dat you not prepped I was trying to emphasize the "something coming" in your statement. I thought that that summed it up pretty darned good! I should have quoted the other person who said I no have time worry about it .... You know I goin go fix um... LOL

Comment

hmmmm no can edit the older post so I goin redo it here....

Originally posted by alohabear
          It's just that I have better things to worry about, than the bird flu right now.
          Originally posted by [b
          1stwahine][/b]

It's a coming!

Auntie Lynn

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
          you gotta figure somethings coming.... its been close to 100 yrs since there has been a major outbreak of a disease that kills as easily as the flu.
          so if you think it cant happen I suggest you go to your cupboards/pantry right now and take a quick look.... do you have enough food that will last possibly a month or longer?..... cause if you think about it if alot of ppl get sick HOW will your food get to the islands or even from the docks/airport to the warehouses and from there to the stores? WHO will work the stores.... really think can your family live without those resources... because thats what you risk! your kids looking at you with hunger in their eyes and not being able to do anything because the state has declared martial law and ppl out and about can be shot on site....
          so its your decision plan for a possible future or wen the possiblity comes about... you'll blame yourself for those other things that you had to worry about a few months back....really if all you do is grab some extra cans of tuna spam beans water ect really gonna add to your grocery bill? just buy it and start putting it in you closet or garage somewhere NOT in the kitchen and start saving....you might be glad you did. and if not the flu maybe Hurricane or tsunami, earthquake....you never know what might come and slap us upside the head.

ok so what i trying to convey is that anyone who no think this is important should stop and evaluate your household..... get prepped like Auntie Lynn.... I still working on it myself.... still need to get alot of things but a little at a time, and pretty soon you goin be set for any kine emergency.

Comment

Hey! None a you guys remember the dock strikes? No sugar, coffee, or toilet paper, anywhere, to be had.

Hawaii is so isolated...and do you really believe that anyone would care, and come and help? Who?

Ain't gonna be no FEMA tuna and powdered milk vans in your neighborhoods.

Prep now....consider it a form of insurance...if nothing happens, you can eat the premiums.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hope dat you guys are getting ready for dis flu pandemic. Indonesia is causing headache for the WHO and the CDC, more human death in Turkey, more human sick in Romania, more sick birds in Denmark.

No excuses, now....make list of what your family uses, in a week, a month, a year...more, even. Imagine how da kids will do, without those things. No forget fuel, dishsoap, toothpaste...

Think Katrina, a zillion times over.

Comment

Please go out and buy some groceries. There's bad stuff, happening in Bucharest, Romania. They've quarantined two areas of the city, and shops are closed. Troops are in place, to stop escapers.

This would be SO easy to do, in Hawaii, you guys are perfect for isolating...and then you would starve. Or kill each other, trying not to. 'Collateral damage' will probably kill more people than the flu.

Go out and buy some groceries. Please. Today.

Screw the mountain dew, the clothes, the gameboys. To heck with the matching furniture, the fancy car, the vacation plans. Never mind the restaurant meals, the weekend nights out, and the dinner parties. Go. Now.

Do it for da keeds. You like be the one tell them dat dere's nothing more for eat?

You can call me lolo, if you like....but I rather be lolo, than right. If I jess lolo, we can all have a good laugh, after, eh?

Comment

Go look

For dose of you guys who are sick/tired/bored/fed-up/disbelievers/in lala land...go look at the bird flu thread, please.

This is just a public-service reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                    Hey! None a you guys remember the dock strikes? No sugar, coffee, or toilet paper, anywhere, to be had.

Hawaii is so isolated...and do you really believe that anyone would care, and come and help? Who?
                    You forgot to mention events like hurricane warnings, talking about the possibility of dock strikes, the threat of war half a world away.

In any event, even through I used up all of the drinks and batteries that was purchased during the last not so kind of panic buy, I haven't even used any of the Spam cans and only this past Friday I used up one of the 15 cans of tuna.
                    Last edited by helen; May 23, 2006, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      You forgot to mention events like hurricane warnings, talking about the possibility of dock strikes, the threat of war half a world away.

In any event, even through I used up all of the drinks that was purchased during the last not so kind of panic buy, I haven't even used any of the Spam cans and only this past Friday I used up one of the 15 cans of tuna.
                      That's a good start, Helen.

How long will 15 cans of tuna last you? The quarantine in Bucharest will be at least 21 days, and that's not even the start of a pandemic, yet.

Comment

Boy, and here I thought somebody telling us what to do all the way from Seattle was presumptuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          Boy, and here I thought somebody telling us what to do all the way from Seattle was presumptuous.
                          Just because the girl has been taken out of Hawaii, doesn't mean that Hawaii has been taken out of the girl.

Comment

There are 14 cans of tuna now. Not to mention 18 cans of spam. More than enough to last 5 days assuming a hurricane hits Oahu and knocks off power for that long.

But a 21 day quarantine put on Hawaii? I can only assume such a quarantine would restrict travel and trade to and from Hawaii but not travel within Hawaii or within an island. That being the case the first couple of days food would still be available at restaurants. After that then use up the stocked supplies at home.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                              There are 14 cans of tuna now. Not to mention 18 cans of spam. More than enough to last 5 days assuming a hurricane hits Oahu and knocks off power for that long.

But a 21 day quarantine put on Hawaii? I can only assume such a quarantine would restrict travel and trade to and from Hawaii but not travel within Hawaii or within an island. That being the case the first couple of days food would still be available at restaurants. After that then use up the stocked supplies at home.
                              Can you imagine the run on groceries, should something like that happen? I remember the dock strike, back in the late sixties...the stores were sold out pretty quickly.

The difference between a hurricane and a pandemic is that with a pandemic, people might be too sick, or afraid, to go outside. Plus, you may be quarantined at home....the government has a new catchphrase for this, 'social distancing'...it sounds so much less frightening than 'quarantine', doesn't it?

Bucharest stores and schools have been closed down. Restaurants, too, I imagine.

In the middle of a pandemic, I don't plan to go out, to work or school, or to eat at any restaurants...who knows who might pass on an illness. Are you sure that restaurant workers would even show up for work? I hear you've recently had a butane/propane shortage, over there....suppose it was gasoline, too?

And suppose, as some already do, that a pandemic might last, with several 'waves', for as long as 18 months? After that kind of thing, you cant just come out, blinking into the sunshine, and expect the stores to be up and running, right away. Especially in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                                So what... do you think Just cause we are a world away we dont care? That we dont have family/friends still living there? I think thats pretty presumptuous of you.

do you think that something that is happening in europe is something that is of no concern to you and your family? does being an island in the middle of the pacific mean that things that are happening half a world away are things that in no way shape or form can affect you, your kids, your job, your life? ok then mayyybe europe is too far how about Indonesia? is that close enough for you? thats on the other side still far away but still closer...

Hawaii is one of the MOST traveled to destinations in the world IF(and thats just saying if) this BF thing goes the way of a plaugue type bug how long do you think it would take for Hawaii to be affected?

what do you think QUARANTINE means? oh no mean nothing I still goin be able to go store/resturant/work/beach... as long as I not sick...no matter.

from Dictionary.com:...quar·an·tine
                                • A period of time during which a vehicle, person, or material suspected of carrying a contagious disease is detained at a port of entry under enforced isolation to prevent disease from entering a country.
                                • A place for such detention.
                                • Enforced isolation or restriction of free movement imposed to prevent the spread of contagious disease.
                                • A condition of enforced isolation.
                                • A period of 40 days.
                                no it means they are gonna want you to stay in your home and NOT go anywhere ideally....so when your food starts to run low and you venture out to get more how many others of the 1,211,537(state population) will you be in line with waiting to get more food from warehouses? how long will those supplies last? will the government be making airdrops? who knows.. right now the US government says "dont depend on us" if things go bad... look at what Katrina victims suffered.... it would be 10x worse

these areas of Bucharest that she is talking about could one day be Honolulu, Kaneohe, Lahina, Kona, any city/town, heck the whole state possibly. hey if the state got quarantined that means NO SHIPS & NO PLANES would be landing there.

so if someone here tries to give you a heads up on the happenings of the world around them that could in some way impact you sometime in the possible future is too presumptuous... Why not just close this board to all that are not located in Hawaii?

look beyond your backyard... cause it, one day could be in your backyard...
                                better safe than sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X