Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mental Illness

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    Lynn, the guy who made that statement is a prosecutor. Mental illness isn't his field of training.
    He shouldn't be making statements where he doesn't have any knowledge or backgound in!

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    Now this is a woman who hasn't fallen through the cracks. She is gainfully employed and for the most part able to contribute to healthy relationships. I can only imagine when these protective factors don't come into play and additional issues abound, like lack of competent support, chemical abuse, and poverty.
    Please give your friend a big honi honi from me. She is a strong women indeed. Having Bi-Polar is not an easy Life to live. I know first hand. Your last sentence came into play for me many times with the additional issues. I was lucky ~ I survived.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 11, 2006, 12:12 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      He shouldn't be making statements where he doesn't have any knowledge or backgound in!
      Unless he registers with HT, that is - we're GOOD at that!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Unless he registers with HT, that is - we're GOOD at that!
        Hugs Leo!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I have a good friend who was diagnosed as schizophrenic. My friends and I were wondering why he suddenly became reclusive during college and much later I found out why.

He was a bright guy. Took up organic chemistry in college and was looking forward to getting a degree in a medical-related field. The disease is something he found difficult to cope with. Tried all sorts of medications. Some were slighly more effective than others. Most had undesirable side effects.

He had one psychotic episode where he ended up on the roof of his house with a semi-automatic rifle, waiting to repel an impending attack. I don't know how that situation was resolved but it didn't involve the police, fortunately.

He gave all of his weapons to his brother (big collection of knives, swords and firearms) as a precaution and got some medical attention. He lived with me for a few weeks sometime after that, when he'd gotten a little out of hand at home. He ended up homeless for a short time and got back on the medication. He's OK now, I think.

He told me one of the side effects of a medication that works is that things can seem a little boring at times -- no noises or voices fill his day as it normally would. He'd hear sounds and voices come out of the TV set, even when it was turned off, for example.

Hadn't seen him in a few years. Hope he's doing OK. I tried to keep in touch but the illness sometimes persuades him to do otherwise.

That whole experience gave me an entirely different perspective on mental illness. And being "sane" or "nuts" isn't a well-defined state, either. We're all on a broad continuum between the two extremes. Just takes a very small change in brain chemistry to put us in the category of "sick".

I also believe that violence driven by mental illness is generally defensive in nature, even though others may not see any real threat. The illness can cause a person to believe that others are plotting his demise -- either through vague suspicion or because some voice only he can hear has been telling him so. Sounds weird, but that's how it is. And to someone suffering from this sort of mental illness, it's as real to him as the rest of the world is real to the average person.

So for someone with schizophrenia to gun down his family or his neighbors because they were thought to be taken over by aliens from space or were spies from Russia is somewhat understandable, though certainly not acceptable. But for someone to rob others and execute them -- well, as far as I understand the disease, that's a crime committed by someone who happens to be mentally ill -- not an act of self-defense driven by mental illness.

It's a distinction that most might find hard to fathom. But that's just me.

Comment

poem by a schizo

roses are red.
            violets are blue
            I'm schizophrenic
            and so am I.

poem from their lover.

roses are red.
            Violets are blue.
            I love you
            and i also love you.

Comment

Kimo55, for all the things you write...I can handle and take. When it comes to Mental Illness, it's a whole different Ballgame. As a sufferer, it's not funny. The nerve Braddah Kimo.

I neva expected dat from you!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Some say i got da kine too. what gives justification?
                what makes it more or less valid or appropriate cuz it's on another page?
                that's a famous Oscar Levant quote.
                surprised at you.

Comment

It will be interesting to watch the Adam Mau-Goffredo case unveil as it relates to mental illness. I'm certainly not a doctor but it appears there's more than paranoid schizophrenia at work there. And, according to documents obtained by the media, this horrible tragedy mighta/coulda/shoulda been prevented. Any one of us could've been on Tantalus that night.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    It will be interesting to watch the Adam Mau-Goffredo case unveil as it relates to mental illness. I'm certainly not a doctor but it appears there's more than paranoid schizophrenia at work there. And, according to documents obtained by the media, this horrible tragedy mighta/coulda/shoulda been prevented. Any one of us could've been on Tantalus that night.
                    In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/16/news/story02.html
                    Murder suspect's caregiver contradicted
                    By Rod Antone

"According to the transcripts obtained by the Star-Bulletin, Carroll answered the question by saying he had been "working with an agency called PDMI for the past 10 years and basically working with people with primary schizophrenia and bipolar and dual personalities."

But Carroll's former employer, Sharon Fountain of Physically Disabled and Mentally Ill Care, otherwise known as PDMI-Care, said he worked at the agency for about a year and a half."

Also in the article, "Although the state has strict standards for licensed care homes, officials said those who have been made guardians of mental health patients do not fall under the same guidelines because the guardianship is almost a family-like relationship."

And so it begins. The facts will come in one by one. The truth be told...he should have been under strict observation and confinement to protect himself and others.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In this morning's StarBulletin (Police, Fire, Courts)http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/21/news/briefs.html
                      Mentally ill man allegedly stabs in-law

"A Maunawili man suffering from mental problems allegedly stabbed his 77-year-old mother-in-law multiple times at their Kailua home yesterday, police said."

"They said the victim was making lunch for her 56-year-old son-in-law in their home at 1023 Maunawili Road when he began poking himself with a steak knife. The victim attempted to take the knife away but was stabbed in her stomach and lower back, police said."

Mental Illness is real.

Once again...Laws have to be change to protect the innocent and the insane.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Jury Finds Yates Not Guilty in Drownings
                        http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl.../d8j3vrhg0.txt

"HOUSTON - In a dramatic turnaround from her first murder trial, Andrea Yates was found not guilty by reason of insanity Wednesday in the drowning of her children in the bathtub."

"The 42-year-old woman will be committed to a state mental hospital and held until she is no longer deemed a threat. If she had been convicted of murder, she would have been sentenced to life in prison."

"Four years ago, another jury convicted Yates of murder, rejecting claims that she was so psychotic she thought she was saving the souls of her five children by killing them. An appeals court overturned the convictions because of erroneous testimony from a prosecution witness."

Was justice served or screwed?

Her five children are dead...

"She will be committed to a state mental hiospital and held until she is no longer deemed a threat." Which means...she can wake one morning, "Sane" and go on with her Life?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/25/news/story13.html
                          Treatment is vital for mentally ill, expert says
                          By Helen Altonn

"The tragedy of mental illness is "when we don't do what we know how to do," says a nationally prominent clinical psychologist and forensic expert.

"People with mental illness can recover, and many deaths can be prevented, says Dr. Xavier Amador, clinical psychologist at Teacher's College, Columbia University."

"He was to speak at 9:30 a.m. today at the Queen's Conference Center and will give a talk tomorrow on Maui about the process of recovery, said Nami Hawaii Executive Director Jim Mihalke."

"We have this array of services (for mentally ill people)," he said. "We set this wonderful banquet out. They're starving, but we don't provide any transportation for half of the people to the banquet. My brother was one of those people."

I am lucky. I have been to many Banquets. I ate and got full. I keep going back for seconds.

Mental Illness can be controled. It is like the good doctor says...it is like any other illness. With medication, Mental Illness can be treated. The hard part is getting those afflicted to treatment.

Laws have to be changed to protect the Innocent.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

[...]With medication, Mental Illness can be treated. The hard part is getting those afflicted to treatment.[...]
                            Auntie, isn't another part of the problem getting patients, once on meds, to stay on meds...esp. those who are homeless and/or don't have a daily support 'team' (family and/or friends)?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                              Auntie, isn't another part of the problem getting patients, once on meds, to stay on meds...esp. those who are homeless and/or don't have a daily support 'team' (family and/or friends)?
                              Most definitely. Once a patient is diagnosed it is only a small part of the problem being solved. A patient needs to be constantly monitored and be taking medications to keep him/her stable. Unfortunately, many of those afflicted are Homeless. They lack the support and also suffer from Dual Diagnosis.

Even being in a controlled environment such as a loving home doesn't prevent one from failing to take their medications or getting counseling. One of the Laws that needs to be changed is for the Government to step in and have a person taken into a hospital for evaluation and hospitalization.

The way it is now...if a person can still maintain or show understanding of what is going on, they are released. That alone is not right and makes Society at risk everyday as potential victims.

The Reality we face is staring at us everyday. Take a walk in Downtown Honolulu. There you will find many Schizo's who go about in their world. There are various forms of Mental Illness. All it takes is one who will think like the man up Tantlus again and kill.

It's a bomb ready to EXpload. It can be prevented. It's not to Late.

Everything goes hand in hand. Mental Illness, Homelessness, High Cost of Living, etc. etc. It's Sad.

Sorry for the long Post.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Sorry for the long Post.
                                No need to apologize - your insight is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X