• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeckoGeek
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    There's supposed to be this massive rift zone running parallel along the Koolau's between Diamond Head from Hawaii Kai thru Central Oahu and that Oahu is long overdue for a major shift along that rift zone with an earthquake in the low 7's in magnitude.
    Any chance of giving me a pointer to more information on it? First I've heard of this.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    This is only because the desks are more stable then the ceilings at most of the schools. Tiles, lights, etc.
    Well, that's a good point. If the biggest danger is falling debris from the ceiling, under the desk is a good place. (I'll bet those light fixtures would hurt!) If the roof falls, you want to be beside the desk.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

I certainly will never forget October 15, 2006. It felt so surreal and scary,as I never went through a quake that strong ever. My mom could recall one when she was pregnant with me in 1975 that was stronger. I believe that was 7.2 centered down by Kalapana. Around that time Mauna Loa started to erupt. It was surreal for my parents, as they lived below KTA. Mauna Loa can be seen from down there, so it appeared Hualalai was erupting, when it was really Mauna Loa.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

I remember that one in High School vividly. My social studies teacher yelled at me to stay in the class. I said "No way! I ain't dying with you!" I'm leaving!" I wen hele out. I neva get suspended. Wen I came back...she laughed. My classmates asked wea I went. I told dem I went to "Corners" and go eat. I was hungry!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    I remember that one. Here on Oʻahu, it just felt like a big truck was rumbling past. It wasn't till the evening news that we realized it had been an earthquake.
    I remember that one too but for me it sounded like a a continuous rolling thunder until the whole house started shaking. I thought some massive meteor was barrelling down and gonna strike any moment. The chandelier in the master bedroom started shaking violently as my mom bolted out from underneath it. Then it stopped.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    I remember in either 1973 or 1974 there was an earthquake that was felt statewide. I was on Kauai at the time and while I didn't feel that one, a few people at the high school I was attending at the time felt it.
    I remember that one. Here on Oʻahu, it just felt like a big truck was rumbling past. It wasn't till the evening news that we realized it had been an earthquake.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I remember in either 1973 or 1974 there was an earthquake that was felt statewide. I was on Kauai at the time and while I didn't feel that one, a few people at the high school I was attending at the time felt it.

I was attending UH Hilo between 1975 to 1979 and during my time there I only felt one earthquake there that shook my bed enough to get me out. However there would be times during class that some one would say "I felt an earthquake." Did miss the November 1975 quake since I was on Kauai at the time.

For the 27 years I have been here, there have been some quakes that have been felt here even through the epicenters of these quakes were on the Big Island or off-shore close to it. Never felt any of them until this year which we had three this year, two of them I felt.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    There's supposed to be this massive rift zone running parallel along the Koolau's between Diamond Head from Hawaii Kai thru Central Oahu and that Oahu is long overdue for a major shift along that rift zone.
    Das it! I ain't going Kakaako! I changed my mind. I going with my kids to Ewa Beach or Barbers Point! No way I going be caught in a Rift Zone!

Nah. Whatever happens ~ happens.

If it's your time to go...you going anyways.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    That statistic must be referring to the island of Hawaii. Not the Hawaiian Island chain.

I've lived on the island of Oahu over 30 years of my entire life, and this past October's Earthquake was the ONLY earthquake I ever experienced... EVER. That's pretty darned infrequent, making it safe to say Oahu in particular has a pretty good record as far as natural disasters are concerned. As far as I'm concerned at least.

Yeah, a BIG ONE could hit almost anywhere. Not just Hawaii. It's the Tsunamis that are more of a threat to Hawaii, as they can be generated from earthquakes anywhere around the Pacific Rim. Not to sneeze at hurricanes either.

Knock on wood.
    There's supposed to be this massive rift zone running parallel along the Koolau's between Diamond Head from Hawaii Kai thru Central Oahu and that Oahu is long overdue for a major shift along that rift zone with an earthquake in the low 7's in magnitude.

That's a pretty damned dangerous rift zone as it runs the entire traffic corridor of the leeward side of Oahu right thru the heart of it's commerce and residential districts. An earthquake running thru that zone would definately turn Oahu into shambles and possibly kill off the majority of the state's population.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 22, 2006, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

That statistic must be referring to the island of Hawaii. Not the Hawaiian Island chain.

I've lived on the island of Oahu over 30 years of my entire life, and this past October's Earthquake was the ONLY earthquake I ever experienced... EVER. That's pretty darned infrequent, making it safe to say Oahu in particular has a pretty good record as far as natural disasters are concerned. As far as I'm concerned at least.

Yeah, a BIG ONE could hit almost anywhere. Not just Hawaii. It's the Tsunamis that are more of a threat to Hawaii, as they can be generated from earthquakes anywhere around the Pacific Rim. Not to sneeze at hurricanes either.

Knock on wood.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

In some instances you don't even know it's an earthquake so you stand there kinda numb until you make that realization that the ground isn't so stable anymore...time lost: maybe 3 or 4 seconds.

In a high rise I doubt anyone would have much chance of surviving if the building collapses so there's your collateral loss right there.

In a car while driving you'd think your tire became unbalanced or something before the roadway rips open in front of you swallowing your car. If it's the second tier overpass of a freeway and your car is plummeting headfirst into the asphalt some 60-feet below, well even the airbag won't save your life.

What can you do to be prepared? Not much if you're not at the right place at the right time...other than not to panic as most usually do. That's about all you can do in those immediate seconds. Then you plan or exercise your egress.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Residents are repeatedly told to get 72 hour emergency kits. What is unique about an earthquake threat? Building collapse. But what is that risk here? What is the risk of a large quake? We may be seismically active, but that can mean you're less likely to have a big one.
    For one thing, unlike most other natural disasters, you don't get any advance warnings when an earthquake is about to hit, at least not far enough in advance to know it was coming to really do something about it (animals do start acting strange immediately before an earthquake hits, though).

Second, even though you can't predict when a really big earthquake will hit, there are things you can do proactively to ensure that people's lives and their property can be made more safe (checking to make sure your house is securely fastened to its foundation, knowing where the safest part of the house and your office are, etc.)

Third, the cost to repair things if you don't carry earthquake insurance could be very costly. But earthquake insurance in itself is costly (I have a $2,000 deductible policy on the contents of my condo and the building also carries earthquake insurance) and may not even be available in Hawai'i.

Fourth, unless your family has contingency plans in place (this could be the same one you would use in case of a tsunami), the confusion and disruption that a large earthquake can cause could be particularly traumatizing. I couldn't believe the number of "Lookie Lous" who just HAD to get in their cars and drive around immediately after the Oct. 15 quake. If the damage had been more severe (and if people had gotten injured), how could firetrucks, ambulances and the police have gotten to their destinations without some delay? Unless you're in danger physically, stay where you are right after an earthquake.

Miulang

P.S. Tim, it's not just a matter of crawling under the desk. Are the kids being taught to curl up into a ball under their desks (see Auntie Lynn's post about the "Triangle of Life"). And parents should talk to the school administrators about the structural conditions of the school's roof, etc. An earthquake might be over in 10 seconds or less, but a ceiling can still come down in that short period of time. I doubt anyone could safely evacuate a building in 10 seconds, especially if the ground is rolling.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    The DOE still recommends that children get UNDER their desks during an earthquake. I know because I had the conversation with the principal of my daughter's school.

She said she can't do it any different, even if it means the safety of our children. Our litigious society, driven by crybaby liberalism, has gotten to the point where we can't even protect our children by teaching what is right and safe.
    I'm wondering if that principal is getting confused with the nuclear "duck and cover" technique we all practiced as school children in the 60's...and don't look at the window or else you'll go blind from the flash.

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    The DOE still recommends that children get UNDER their desks during an earthquake. I know because I had the conversation with the principal of my daughter's school.

She said she can't do it any different, even if it means the safety of our children. Our litigious society, driven by crybaby liberalism, has gotten to the point where we can't even protect our children by teaching what is right and safe.
    This is only because the desks are more stable then the ceilings at most of the schools. Tiles, lights, etc.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X