Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Yeah. A friend of mine, whose brother knows some smarty-pants vaguely-official sounding maybe-civil-defense dude, called and told me he had heard the same thing! It must be true. Gotta go buy some bottled water and head for the hills.

HA HA

Comment

If this is the case... I will also say that Hawaii will be hit by a TSUNAMI 100% by my prediction....

Just hope it's not in my life time....

National Geographic has a scary recreation of the event WHEN IT DOES happen.

It's titled "Ultimate Tsunami"

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        We need to teach people not to be so gullible, and to know whom to believe.
        Well you are a teacher, scriv. I am not. So who’s job is it anyway?
        Why should it be illegal to propagate a hoax?
        Because it wastes government resources (civil defense, HPD, FBI, etc.), and cheats the general public of real news (since news organizations are too busy fielding non-stop phone calls). Not to mention that hoaxes are sometimes deliberately propagated to distract law enforcement, so that a bigger crime can go undetected.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Well you are a teacher, scriv. I am not. So who’s job is it anyway?
          "whose."

Because it wastes government resources (civil defense, HPD, FBI, etc.), and cheats the general public of real news (since news organizations are too busy fielding non-stop phone calls). Not to mention that hoaxes are sometimes deliberately propagated to distract law enforcement, so that a bigger crime can go undetected.
          First of all, what Civil Defense, HPD, and FBI resources were wasted Sunday night? Second, sure it cheats the public, but the news organizations have been cheating the public of real news since the beginning of news. If anything, the hoax probably increased viewership, and let's not forget that whatever "public good" these news agencies are serving (and I know you work in the business, so please know that I have serious respect for them), they are a business first. Was this hoax good for business or bad for business, I ask you? Be honest!

In what way was law enforcement distracted by this "secret" message about a possible earthquake?

Should Orson Welles have gone to jail for The War of the Worlds, or Aku for his April Fool's Day parade in Waikiki?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Hmmm. Hoax... later shown to have no merit whatsoever... wasted huge amounts of government money and needlessly endangered the lives of military personnel... deliberately propagated to distract attention from a yet larger crime...

Hmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
              Hmmm. Hoax... later shown to have no merit whatsoever... wasted huge amounts of government money and needlessly endangered the lives of military personnel... deliberately propagated to distract attention from a yet larger crime...

Hmmmmm.
              Civil defense should have just saturated every media that it was a hoax as soon as it caught word of it. That would have reduced the flooding of calls from the public. Broadcast on tv, broadcast on radio, have every cell phone operator do a mass SMS text to all cell phones.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                Civil defense should have just saturated every media that it was a hoax as soon as it caught word of it. That would have reduced the flooding of calls from the public. Broadcast on tv, broadcast on radio, have every cell phone operator do a mass SMS text to all cell phones.
                I can hear Harry Kim now...

'... rumor being spread by terrorists attempting to shut down emergency communications and transportation facilities...'

Comment

What would you propose as the threshold to initiate this full-on media response to quash a rumor? After the first bogus call to 911, the 10th, the 100th?

Whatever threshold is chosen, it then (at least for the dimwits out there) becomes a matter of "well, I haven't heard a denial yet, so it must be true and I need to spread the word to everyone I know!"

Comment

What's a good threshold? Good question, something the folks at civil defense needs to establish. What is their method of determining whether or not they need to issue a warning at this point?

You'll always have gullible people spreading wrong info. You might as well try to inform all the level headed people so they can keep the gullible people in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
                      I can hear Harry Kim now...

'... rumor being spread by terrorists attempting to shut down emergency communications and transportation facilities...'

Well Harry Kim did get on the Civil Defense EAS system with a broadcast that was repeated all night long here on the Big Island that this was a "cruel joke" and that ther perpetrator should be hung by his balls and burned at the stake...okay he didn't say that part.

But he did end his broadcast with a "have a good evening and sleep well". Those were comforting words on the eve of what was a really bad joke.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

We need more Harry Kims. That guy is the essence of calm.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel will have be closed indefinitely due to recently uncovered earthquake damage. link
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            Mauna Kea Beach Hotel will have be closed indefinitely due to recently uncovered earthquake damage. link
                            Thanks for the link... 420 people getting laid off is pretty harsh!

At least from what I read in the papers, the economy on that side of the island seems to be looking for labor that may fit these peoples abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                              Thanks for the link... 420 people getting laid off is pretty harsh!

At least from what I read in the papers, the economy on that side of the island seems to be looking for labor that may fit these peoples abilities.
                              It makes you wonder if there is any other hidden damage at the the other hotels up in Kohala. Bear in mind this was uncovered 6 weeks after the big earthquakes.But again the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is much older than the other hotels. I believe it is at least 40 years old. Hopefully the hotel can be repaired in a matter of months than years.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel was opened in 1964. On the day of the grand opening, the great Alaska earthquake of 1964 hit and everyone had to be evacuated because of the possible threat of a Pacific wide tsunami, which occurred but was not big enough as to cause major damage like the one on May 23, 1960.

I often wonder if any of our big high rises in Honolulu suffered hidden structural damage.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X