Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Here is the link to the press release explaining reasons behind the closure of the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.

Evidently after the October 15, 2006 earthquake, 140 of the 310 rooms were deemed unsafe. So the hotel was already was not at full capacity. Also I read some place that the repairs make take at least 18 months.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

So this morning my Mom calls me and told me that they were hit by another 3.1x sized earthquake on the Big Island last night. This one occurring near Pauuilo. No rumour, just fact as noted at the earthquake website.

Lately a lot of earthquakes have been occurring on the Northern end of the Big Island in places not usually connected to earthquake activity. In addition to the 5.0 trembler that shook us on November 23, people on the Big Island have been shaken by a series of 4 and 3.x sized quakes for the last 2 weeks. Some have occurred on the side opposite from the big ones occurring in Waikoloa.

Check it out on the now familiar map (which I screen captured):

And now the rumour:

What my brother heard in Las Vegas is quite unnerving. He called my Mom to tell her that someone from one of the Mauna Kea observatories said that "the mountain is hot". Mauna Kea is hot? While highly unlikely, the rumour goes that the mountain is slowly heating up and is getting ready to blow after more than 500,000 years of inactivity. He tells my Mom and Dad that they ought to move away from the Big Island and go to the mainland.

He further tells my Mom that the next time she goes out into her garden, dig a little hole to see if the earthworms are still alive. He says that if the earthworms are dead that means the ground is getting warm.

Now I know my parents home is several miles downslope from Mauna Kea on the 2,500 ft. elevation level. Mauna Kea peaks at 13,796 ft. Hasn't been an eruption there since mankind started recording history.

Still the tiny possibility remains... could she blow? Is the government withholding information from us about a potential mega disaster?

And what is it with all of these earthquakes occuring in places they normally don't happen?

Something to think about.

Reference: http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think all these additional earthquakes are due to the fact that the 6.7 and 6.0 magnitude earthquakes that happened on October 15 have shaken nearby fault lines. Take note, the 6.7 magnitude Kiholo earthquake caused the 6.0 magnitude earthquake up by Mahukona shortly thereafter.

Ever since these mega earthquakes, I've heard rumors Hualalai is going to erupt.But there is no evidence pointing to that. It is simply the massive weight of the Big island on the earth's lithosphere causing these quakes. Thus I believe the Mauna Kea eruption rumor is a bunch of bunk.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

At this point in time I will agree that the possibility of Mauna Kea erupting is "bunk". I've also heard the Hualalai rumours too. That is slightly more likely to happen than Mauna Kea. However when a mountain is going to erupt, we usually can count on the Volcano Observatory to notify us of mountain inflation and the underground movement of magma building up.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            At this point in time I will agree that the possibility of Mauna Kea erupting is "bunk". I've also heard the Hualalai rumours too. That is slightly more likely to happen than Mauna Kea. However when a mountain is going to erupt, we usually can count on the Volcano Observatory to notify us of mountain inflation and the underground movement of magma building up.
            I inquired with HVO after I heard the Hualalai rumors. They assured me they were not true. As they've not seen any evidence of any imminent eruption. But out of curiosity, I did forward your posting to HVO. I inquired with them if there is any validity to this Mauna Kea rumor.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

What my brother heard in Las Vegas is quite unnerving. [...] Is the government withholding information from us about a potential mega disaster?
              The investigation by federal and state law enforcement continues this week into the second earthquake rumor in as many weeks. Once again, civil defense phones were ringing off the hook over the weekend, as panicked residents reported receiving 'inside information' that reportedly indicated a major eruption of a long-dormant Big Island volcano was imminent. Some Hawaii County residents insisted they'd felt warmer-than-usual floors and roadways, indicating significant subterranean activity.

Sources close to the investigation say they are once again looking outside Hawaii for the source of the rumor, possibly Las Vegas, but at least one investigator fingered a locally-operated message board on the web, already known for attracting questionable characters. More on this story as it develops.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

Sources close to the investigation say they are once again looking outside Hawaii for the source of the rumor, possibly Las Vegas, but at least one investigator fingered a locally-operated message board on the web, already known for attracting questionable characters. More on this story as it develops.
                Where is this message board????
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There was a 4.4 earthquake early this morning off the coast of the Big Island:

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/hv00021772.html

A light earthquake occurred at 2:22:19 AM (HST) on Sunday, December 3, 2006 . The magnitude 4.4 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) W of Kawaihae.
                  The hypocentral depth is 8 km ( 5 miles).
                  Was this felt beyond the Big Island?
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I didn't feel it, but then again wasn't the Thanksgiving one a 5.0? Maybe this 4.4 wasn't that powerful to be felt here on Oahu.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

A friend who lives in a high rise near the convention center says she felt it early this morning.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There was a 4.4 earthquake early this morning off the coast of the Big Island:

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/hv00021772.html

Was this felt beyond the Big Island?
                        It probably wasn't as widely felt since the earthquake was only 5 miles deep.
                        http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hv00021772.php

I think the October quakes were much deeper in the lithosphere. As for myself I didn't even feel it.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Well I guess we are beginning to know who the sound sleepers are. I did not feel it, but my mom who lives in Honokaa definitely felt it. I talked to her this morning after noting the report at the USGS site. She was surprised that I told her the magnitude was 4.4. She taught it was much lighter. Must have been the shallow depth of the thing.

Just checked the stats page and people reported feeling it in most of the Kona area as well as in Hamakua, east Maui and even Honolulu.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi...m_stats_1.html
                          Last edited by mel; December 3, 2006, 02:04 PM. Reason: added more info & link
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I just read the 6.7 Kiholo earthquake was 24.4 miles deep in the lithosphere.Hence why it was much more widely felt.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I felt this morning's quake (Kona), it woke up the family's adults but children slept through it (although it entered one of the kid's dream). I bet a fairly strong quake like this morning's makes the Mauna Kea resort think it made the right decision in closing for repairs....

Comment

There's one of those "free" real estate magazines here on the Big Island called "Homes of the Big Island" and in the latest issue (volume 2 issue 3) there's an interesting feature article on HOT SPOTS: A candid look at Lava Zones.

Amazing that Leilani Estates is in one of those spots.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X