• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SouthKona
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Originally posted by mel View Post
    In the 1980s some developer wanted to create a resort west of South Point closer to Milolii than to Pahala.... That was quickly shot down I believe. There were also grandiose plans for another resort in the Southeast area near Punaluu, a rocket launching facility at South Point (I think at one time championed by Mufi Hannemann) in the early 1980s. I vaguely recall seeing a n artist's sketch of an airport proposal for Ka'u at one time in the 1970s.
    Yes, the rocket launching facility was really exciting news because of discussion about how water would be brought to South Point - the talk was of "piped water", and the southern communities could tie in.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    "The 1950 eruption lasted for 23 days. In that time it erupted 376 million cubic meters of lava, the largest outpouring of lava from the southwest rift zone of Mauna Loa.... For example, the Honokua flow covered the 24-km (15-mile) journey, from vent to the ocean, in less than 3 hours. When an eruption ensues along the southwest rift zone of Mauna Loa, things can happen quickly."

The terrain of southwestern part of the Big Island is very steep.Thus it is probably one of the most dangerous places to live on the Big Island,due to speed of the lava flows.
    My Dad tells me that his sister had a home in that area and they had to get away quickly. Several people lost homes during that flow I have been told.

In the 1980s some developer wanted to create a resort west of South Point closer to Milolii than to Pahala.... That was quickly shot down I believe. There were also grandiose plans for another resort in the Southeast area near Punaluu, a rocket launching facility at South Point (I think at one time championed by Mufi Hannemann) in the early 1980s. I vaguely recall seeing a n artist's sketch of an airport proposal for Ka'u at one time in the 1970s.

I don't think any large scale development should be pursued on that part of the island, due to the dangerous volcano hazard.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

I swear to goodness gracious this has got to be my favorite thread. Next to sticking up for The Agonizer, earthquakes and weather send my pulse soaring. Sad yeah? I crack me up.

Leave a comment:

• SouthKona
    replied

West Hawaii Today reported today:
    The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory's seismic network has recorded nearly 170 aftershocks from the Oct. 15 earthquakes and aftershocks could continue for more than a year, officials said in a statement.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    The investigation by federal and state law enforcement continues this week...
    I wish someone would tell me what law might have been broken.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

If you think lava flows coming within 4 miles of Hilo is freaky, you haven't read about the 1950 Mauna Loa lava flows. link

"The 1950 eruption lasted for 23 days. In that time it erupted 376 million cubic meters of lava, the largest outpouring of lava from the southwest rift zone of Mauna Loa since written records have been kept. This is equivalent to about 3.5-4 year's output for the ongoing Pu`u `O`o-Kupaianaha eruption of Kilauea. This comparison illustrates how much larger eruptions of Mauna Loa can be compared with those of Kilauea.

Flows from this eruption made their way to the sea in a hurry. For example, the Honokua flow covered the 24-km (15-mile) journey, from vent to the ocean, in less than 3 hours. When an eruption ensues along the southwest rift zone of Mauna Loa, things can happen quickly."

The terrain of southwestern part of the Big Island is very steep.Thus it is probably one of the most dangerous places to live on the Big Island,due to speed of the lava flows.
    Last edited by Konaguy; December 4, 2006, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
    That's scary!! Within 4 miles of Hilo... anyone who lives in that area ever worry about the lava? I know in Texas people just sort of accepted tornadoes as a fact of life, and beyond building as well as they could for them, they more or less ignored them. Ditto CA with the earthquakes... I read an article one time about a woman whose suburban house had a crack forming out front from shifting underground

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/maunakea-kohala.html
    According to this map, Waikoloa Village is "safer" zone 8, as well Mauna Lani, Hapuna and Mauna Kea hotels. But, it appears that the neighboring hotels at Waikoloa Resort (Marriott, Hilton, etc. ) are in the more problematic zone 3.
    The reason for that is back in 1859 there was a lava flow from Mauna Loa that reached the Waikoloa/Kiholo area. Hilo, Keaau, Captain Cook, Kealakekua etc are in Zone 3 also. link

That website link I posted has a picture of the 1984 lava flow approaching Hilo at night.A very frightening experience indeed. It evidently got within 4 miles of Hilo before puttering out.link
    Last edited by Konaguy; December 4, 2006, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SouthKona
    replied

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/maunakea-kohala.html
    According to this map, Waikoloa Village is "safer" zone 8, as well Mauna Lani, Hapuna and Mauna Kea hotels. But, it appears that the neighboring hotels at Waikoloa Resort (Marriott, Hilton, etc. ) are in the more problematic zone 3.

Leave a comment:

• SouthKona
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    There's one of those "free" real estate magazines here on the Big Island called "Homes of the Big Island" and in the latest issue (volume 2 issue 3) there's an interesting feature article on HOT SPOTS: A candid look at Lava Zones.

Amazing that Leilani Estates is in one of those spots.
    It is online:
    http://www.homesofthebigisland.com/edit/lavazones.html
    Quote:
    "In Ka‘u, Hawaii Ocean View Estates is a growing neighborhood. But Neil Gyotoku of Hawaii County Civil Defense points out that the northeast section of the subdivision sits in Zone 1 below Mauna Loa’s southwest rift zone. “Within three hours, that lava can reach you,” warns Gyotoku. “It’s a steep grade.” Scientists predict Mauna Loa could put out ten times the volume of Kilauea’s eruptions, and the flow would move faster."

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

There's one of those "free" real estate magazines here on the Big Island called "Homes of the Big Island" and in the latest issue (volume 2 issue 3) there's an interesting feature article on HOT SPOTS: A candid look at Lava Zones.

Amazing that Leilani Estates is in one of those spots.

Leave a comment:

• SouthKona
    replied

I felt this morning's quake (Kona), it woke up the family's adults but children slept through it (although it entered one of the kid's dream). I bet a fairly strong quake like this morning's makes the Mauna Kea resort think it made the right decision in closing for repairs....

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

I just read the 6.7 Kiholo earthquake was 24.4 miles deep in the lithosphere.Hence why it was much more widely felt.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Well I guess we are beginning to know who the sound sleepers are. I did not feel it, but my mom who lives in Honokaa definitely felt it. I talked to her this morning after noting the report at the USGS site. She was surprised that I told her the magnitude was 4.4. She taught it was much lighter. Must have been the shallow depth of the thing.

Just checked the stats page and people reported feeling it in most of the Kona area as well as in Hamakua, east Maui and even Honolulu.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi...m_stats_1.html
    Last edited by mel; December 3, 2006, 02:04 PM. Reason: added more info & link

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    There was a 4.4 earthquake early this morning off the coast of the Big Island:

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/hv00021772.html

Was this felt beyond the Big Island?
    It probably wasn't as widely felt since the earthquake was only 5 miles deep.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...hv00021772.php

I think the October quakes were much deeper in the lithosphere. As for myself I didn't even feel it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X