X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LikaNui
    replied
    Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

What really shocks and saddens me about yesterday's rumor is the amazingly large number of people who fell for it and who don't realize it's utterly and ridiculously impossible to predict earthquakes or tsunami.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    ...do they only put out stories on their online version of there site that they deem not worthy of airing? ...I see that this happens to be the top news on their internet site... you would think they would make reference to the story on TV.
    If you read Karen’s post, you would know that they did air this story in their newscast. And being a faithful KGMB9 viewer, I can say they rarely put anything on their website that didn’t make air. Again, put the pipe down and read carefully for a change before you fly off the handle.

And stop derailing threads with stupid posts.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

The only truth to that rumor is that Hawai'i WILL be struck by another earthquake. But there's no telling when that might be or what its severity will be, hence the need to prepare ahead of time for that eventuality.

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

It's sad when Civil Defense can't do tests because of "Rumors"

A test of a Civil Defense siren scheduled for this morning at Waimanalo Beach Park has been canceled because of unfounded rumors of an impending earthquake and subsequent tsunami, state Civil Defense officials said today....
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...029815734.html

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Actually, the story is now on the KGMB9 website. Maybe they do know more about the radio report, but there wasn’t enough airtime to include it in the story. E-mail the reporter and ask him!
    Or maybe the person reporting it on the online version is not worthy of airtime?

Which leads me to believe? Is the Television News Stations now realizing the power of the internet? Or do they only put out stories on their online version of there site that they deem not worthy of airing?

I didn't realize the local TV stations were now relying upon the internet to feed there stories?

TuNnL? Care to expand on why TV stations are now using the internet to tell there story? I see that this happens to be the top news on their internet site... you would think they would make reference to the story on TV. Do you happen to know this so called reporter at this website you linked? I have never seen or heard of this so called KGMB reporter? And when I go to the KGMB web site I can find no info regarding this person?

TuNnL... you playing games?

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by Karen View Post
    One of the people that KGMB interviewed about this notorious "rumor" which, by the way, nobody called us, either...good runon sentence here? LOL....the man interviewed said he "heard it on the radio" and it, the rumor claims a big earthquake and tsunami will hit tomorrow. Radio? dang, why didn't the KGMB reporter do a better job and ask the man what radio show!
    Actually, the story is now on the KGMB9 website. Maybe they do know more about the radio report, but there wasn’t enough airtime to include it in the story. E-mail the reporter and ask him!

Leave a comment:

• Karen
    replied

One of the people that KGMB interviewed about this notorious "rumor" which, by the way, nobody called us, either...good runon sentence here? LOL....the man interviewed said he "heard it on the radio" and it, the rumor claims a big earthquake and tsunami will hit tomorrow. Radio? dang, why didn't the KGMB reporter do a better job and ask the man what radio show! Maybe it was the UFO, etc....program on 83AM radio that Art Bell still does on weekends, but has another dude during the week. They cover quake predicting, etc. I know cuz their station comes in very good on my crappy kitchen radio with bad reception.

Need input....curious....

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    How is natural disaster considered plural, though?

Is it one of those i before e, except after c things?

Thanks for the correction, but knowing me I'll probably forget and keep on saying it wrong.

[/hijack]
    It's the use of the subjunctive, where as you are using a hypothetical situation.
    When you start a sentence with the word IF, then you use WERE, as this is a theory you are posing. It has nothing to do with plural or singular.

Here's a link to things subjunctive.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Gee. I didn't get a call!
    I didn't either. Nobody love me. <sniff>

Or maybe only non-gullible people love me. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    You mean:

If a natural disaster WERE imminent...

Sorry. I'm a natural grammar cop!
    How is natural disaster considered plural, though?

Is it one of those i before e, except after c things?

Thanks for the correction, but knowing me I'll probably forget and keep on saying it wrong.

[/hijack]

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Does anyone feel like slowly but surely things are crumbling away... In a long term geological sense?

Boulders crashing through houses... Landslides blocking the Pali... Earthquakes creating landslides on the big island...

Seems kind of funny that they are replacing sand in Waikiki when a lot of the island(s) seem to be slowly eroding away.
    Last edited by damontucker; November 26, 2006, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

You mean:

If a natural disaster WERE imminent...

Sorry. I'm a natural grammar cop!

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

If a natural disaster was imminent, you'd think that people would have enough common sense to wonder why the sirens aren't going off so they can get to safety.

Just saw the footage of residents lining up at the gas stations and grocery stores.

Whoever started this rumor needs to be shot.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
    According to Snopes.Com, Mr. Copps advice has been disputed by the Red Cross and scientifically questioned. His observations and suggestions might not be applicable to U.S. buildings ….
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp
    A more direct link to the rebuttal of his theory. Link (Found on the Snopes pages)

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Gee. I didn't get a call! I guess because my husband is at work at the paper. he said the phones are ringing off the hook! I sent him a link to this exchange and he emailed back that it's just a rumor. OK with me. But I'm still taking a shower NOW!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X