Lime Tree / Avacado Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime Tree / Avacado Tree

Can anyone tell me if a lime tree produces year round in Hawai'i?

Can anyone tell me if an avacado tree produces year round in Hawai'i?

Thinking about growing these guys in my backyard.....

Thank you!

Re: Lime Tree / Avacado Tree

Lime
    http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=452

Avacado is seasonal!

Google and get plenny answers!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

aloha.....at my little coffee farm in south kona we have 9 or 10 avocado trees. i think we have about 5 varieties. we almost have year round production....maybe up to a month between when one is pau and another is ready..... they bear, ready for picking for about a month..maybe more..so i think the key is to have several different varieties.....we inherited this selection from the previous farm owners but i think the UH website has a good list of what varieties bear at different times of year...good luck!
      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

I am on my third Baehr (sp?) lime tree--that hasn't yielded yet. It's getting kinda big and I am wondering what the pho? My avocado is the kind that yields from December through February, so we always have holiday guacamole and California rolls and plenty to give away. Last year it dropped two branches, just like that. The tree is about 20 years old. It's about 30 feet high. The thing about this particular avocado species (a before o in both halves of the word), the wood is very dry and brittle, so you should never climb into it, or never let a kid or a neighbor climb into it because the limbs snap just like that. Our kafir lime and our mexican lime trees are wonderful producers. I just wish I could figure out what's up with the Baehr. Right now our Meyer lemon is yielding a bumper crop! It's about 8 years old. I offered parents of trick or treaters a lemon if they liked. I gave out just about all of the two dozen I had.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Thanks AuntyL - I guess I am not very smart because googling yielded not very specific info about this part of the world. Kafir lime link good, thanks

Interesting about year round production escondido---that helps to know!

Lavagal---I guess they just produce when they feel like it eh??? My kaffeeeeer lyme produces like crazie two and leeeves are gud to. Thanks for spelling lessin! That heps mi spel awakado.

Comment

Dear, All I did was cut and paste your question and googled.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Honey-sweetie-darling-dear, thank you so much boy that really helped!

Oh yeah, did I mention "ouch!"
              Last edited by ginabeena; November 1, 2007, 06:24 PM.

Comment

try this link for more local info about avocados:
                http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/fb/avocado/avocado.htm

i googled "avocado hawaii" p.s.the spanish for avocado is aguacate if you google that you will get alot of info in spanish...... spanish is my first idioma so i find that helpful at times.....what is hawaiian for avocado?
                the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  My avocado is the kind that yields from December through February, so we always have holiday guacamole and California rolls and plenty to give away........ Our kafir lime and our mexican lime trees are wonderful producers. Right now our Meyer lemon is yielding a bumper crop!
                  <drooling here and wondering where lavagal lives so I can sneak into her yard between now and February> hehe

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                    <drooling here and wondering where lavagal lives so I can sneak into her yard between now and February> hehe

My sig file holds the key!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      My sig file holds the key!
                      <heading over to East Oahu with my flashlight and climbing shoes>

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                        .....what is hawaiian for avocado?
                        According to my Pukui/Elbert...pea. Pronounced like "payuh".

Our neighbors have a "butter" avocado tree that bears fruit during the summer. This one's great for avocado toast or just plain slices sprinkled with a sweetener. Supper rich and smooth, no strings. The neighbors just let the fruit fall so we kakaroach them from our side of the fence with a long picker. We have Kona orange and Okinawan tangerine trees that seem to bear fruit probably 10 out of 12 months. Our across the street neighbor has a lemon tree that also goes just about year round.

Comment

Working...
                        X