HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Nice pics, DoctorDoom. You and I are in pretty similar environments. I don't like the cold anymore, but it can be beautiful inside the snow globe.

Comment

Big Island: 1. Plant above Kealakekua Bay 2. This stand of Norfolk Pines was near Kau 3. Fern in the rainforest near the Thurston Lava Tube.

Comment

Outrageously gorgeous photos, Jim! Stunningly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 2

Originally posted by DoctorDoom View Post
          We don't have sand. We have a little dirt filling in the spaces between the rocks.

This is what it's like in the front yard during the week when there's no white sand.
          D.D., you sound kinda' spiteful that you're not in Hawaii. I feel your dread. lol That does look like a great place for Christmas though!

Jim. Wow! Whatever camera you're drinking, I want a sip! That photo of the Norfolk Pines in Kau is one of the greatest photos on this thread yet. The detail, even at that reduced size, is amazing. It would be even better if the vehicle in the shot was a guy/gal on a Harley instead of that truck.

The Strawberry Guavas are ripe and in full harvest right now in mom's back yard...

All those photos were taken yesterday.

Notice the scale in size, compared to that penny, which actually makes them look even bigger than they are due to the distance of my camera lens in macro mode. Factually, they measure on average about 3/4" to 1" in diameter at full maturity and ripeness.

These Strawberry Guavas taste just like "regular" guavas, but have a bit of a tart bite. You can just pop the whole thing, seed and all, but some folks prefer to just eat around the insides. The darker red ones are the sweetest.

The Strawberry Guava tree branches also make for great meat-smoking wood, and burn even longer than Kiawe.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Thanks LikaNui and Pomai.

Great Guava pics! The bowlfull with the leaves at the top makes an excellent composition. Do people ever make jelly out of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
              Thanks LikaNui and Pomai.

Great Guava pics! The bowlfull with the leaves at the top makes an excellent composition. Do people ever make jelly out of them?
              ===========================
              Absolutely yes. They (Waiawi- aka Strawberry-Guava) make fabulous jam and jelly. I was raised on that. My Mom would make it all the time. I have fabulous memories of walking to the house across the road to the neighbor's house to fetch a loaf of home-made crusty white bread baked by the old Portuguese lady next door. It would still be very hot and wrapped in a white linen dish cloth. Then we would spread real butter and the home-made waiawi jam or jelly on it and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                ===========================
                Absolutely yes. They (Waiawi- aka Strawberry-Guava) make fabulous jam and jelly. I was raised on that.
                My sister is making jelly out of a whole bucket of those Strawberry Guavas. There's probably enough on the tree to make a whole pallet worth of jelly.

Here's a shot of Koko Head and crater from Kuliou'ou Beach Park this past Friday morning, the day of heavy VOG...

As you might be able to tell by the distorted horizon, I stitched 3 shots together to attain this wide-angle panoramic view. Notice the low tide.

To compare the visibility, here's how the same view looks on a normal day...

Use the scroll bar on the bottom of your browser to pan across.

I took that second panoramic pic a few years ago for Lurkah, a former Kuliou'ou resident. Where is that guy?
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  Here's a shot of Koko Head and crater from Kuliou'ou Beach Park this past Friday morning, the day of heavy VOG...

To compare the visibility, here's how the same view looks on a normal day...

I took that second panoramic pic a few years ago for Lurkah, a former Kuliou'ou resident. Where is that guy?
                  Fantastic shots, Pomai. The 360 degree panorama is amazing!

Hopefully the vog will go back to normal soon. Some of the people on the Big Island are having a pretty hard time with it.

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

These Strawberry Guavas taste just like "regular" guavas, but have a bit of a tart bite. You can just pop the whole thing, seed and all, but some folks prefer to just eat around the insides. The darker red ones are the sweetest.
                    Why do they call these strawberry guava? On the Big Island we called them "vie vee" [not sure of the spelling].... but to me that is what they are. Good by any name though, and they are all wonderful photos!
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                      Fantastic shots, Pomai. The 360 degree panorama is amazing!
                      Agreed! I hope he tells us how he did the panorama.
                      (My new camera has a function that stitches three photos into a panorama, but I haven't had time to try it yet.)

Hopefully the vog will go back to normal soon. Some of the people on the Big Island are having a pretty hard time with it.
                      It was horrible here yesterday too. I took some photos of our race and will post them shortly in that Sailing Photos thread, and you'll see the vog.

Comment

A few nights ago, I spotted this mother duck, vigilantly watching over her young ducklings on the grass lawn in front of McDonald's at the Hawaii Kai Shopping Center...

Mom was watchful and very protective as I got closer to get that shot, and I was a little concerned she might have got confrontational, but she stayed cool.

Here's the male Mallard with them, which must be the dad...

Duck McNuggets, anyone? lol
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It's funny how they're all in a huddle. There was a clip on national news showing a secret service agent herding a mother and her ducklings away from the West Wing and onto the lawn of the White House. I wonder if the terror threat went to orange that day.

Comment

Love the duck shots, Pomai! Got some ducklings here at our place too, and they're just so darned cuuuuute. Guess I should try to get photos.
                            (However, I did get photos of our race yesterday, which I'll post soon in the Sailing Photos thread.)

Comment

More Hawaii pics: 1. Dolphins off the coast just north of Wainae, Oahu. 2. Morning on Kealakekua Bay, Big Island. 3. Gecko above Kealakekua.

Comment

Excellent, Jim! As usual.
                                Keep 'em coming...

Comment

Working...
                                X