Septic Tank Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic Tank Trouble

My brother just bought a new house recently (recently completed in 2007). It appears there is something hard is obstructing the septic tank pipe. It seems the contractor dumped grout down the septic tank pipe. Is there anyway to get rid of the obstruction ?
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Septic Tank Trouble

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    My brother just bought a new house recently (recently completed in 2007). It appears there is something hard is obstructing the septic tank pipe. It seems the contractor dumped grout down the septic tank pipe. Is there anyway to get rid of the obstruction ?
    Yup

Dig the pipeline out and replace it....or get the contractor to do it somehow. The grout has set up like cement in there by now. My neighbors had basically the same thing happen when the former renters of the place left in a bit of a snit and flushed grout or cement down the toilet.

What they did was to put a really long snake into the pipe access, push it in as far as it'd go then tape off the snake where it hit the pipe access after it got stopped. They took the snake out and matched up just about where the outside pipeline would have been on the snake (based on inside pipe lengths), then laid the snake along the ground following the direction of the pipe to the street main.

Where the end of the snake hit along the route was where they started digging....saved em from digging up the whole line anyway.
    Last edited by Peshkwe; January 8, 2008, 03:24 PM. Reason: CAUTION!: typo fey at work

Comment

Having a few septic tanks in my life I can offer my recommendations but I will temper it as I don't know the terrain or composition of the soil of where your brother lives.

Dig around the pipe, cut out the section of pipe that is blocked with a sawzall, sleeve a new piece in.

Oh... don't rub your eyes while working and be very fastidious in your cleanup afterwards, paying particular attention to underneath your fingernails.

It's a ***tty job.
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Wear a dust mask too, you don't want to get any yuck setting up housekeeping in your lungs.

Comment

how can one tell when it's time to have a "Muck Diver" come and clean out your tank with his truck? Is there any little tricks one should know about Septic Tanks to help keep maintence down on them?

Comment

Tricks for cesspools

Don't put bleach, or other heavy cleaners down your drains.

Do use the biotic stuff once a month to keep the little critters happily munching on your doo-doo.

Buy biodegradeable toilet paper, like Scott, instead of that thick Charmin junk.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
              how can one tell when it's time to have a "Muck Diver" come and clean out your tank with his truck? Is there any little tricks one should know about Septic Tanks to help keep maintence down on them?
              It depends on your family size but typically it should be done once a year if you have a typical family of four and good bowel movement

Remember if you want to save some money prep the tank site by digging the rocks and soil away from the pipes. They don't use the pipes to suck the much but rather open up the bunghole where the pipes sit on, so if the bunghole is covered with rocks, dirt or grass they will have to dig that area up and that costs extra.

Make sure you have a good water source available as they use it to soften up any impacted stuff and to clean off their suction hose at the end. And as TimKona indicated use enzyme tablets or packets to keep the septic tank and lines biologically active. I usually flush one packet's worth of enzymes from my farthest toilet from the septic system once a month to keep the entire septic line clear. Don't overdo the enzymes as too much can cause a biological imbalance creating too much nitrogen, just like an aquarium you want a good balance.

Don't use stuff like Drano unless it specifically says it's safe for septic systems.

Getting back OT, man that sucks when a previous tenant does crap like that. When I used to rent on Oahu I made sure my landlord and I did a final walk thru to make sure all issues were addressed because I never wanted to be surprised with a phone call a month later telling me that they found some damage.

Once the walkthru is completed and I sign off on the house, I'm not responsible for anything found after the fact. I also do a walkthru before signing a lease agreement, taking photos of any pre-existing damage and doing the common stuff like making sure the drains, lights, and other amenities provided work PRIOR to signing.

Basically do the same paranoid inspections you would do on a car rental before taking it off their lots.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Apparently when they were burying the pipes for the septic tank, they damaged
                the pipe. Thus causing the obstruction. Rotor Rooter found the problem and fixed it.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  It depends on your family size but typically it should be done once a year if you have a typical family of four and good bowel movement

Remember if you want to save some money prep the tank site by digging the rocks and soil away from the pipes. They don't use the pipes to suck the much but rather open up the bunghole where the pipes sit on, so if the bunghole is covered with rocks, dirt or grass they will have to dig that area up and that costs extra.

Make sure you have a good water source available as they use it to soften up any impacted stuff and to clean off their suction hose at the end. And as TimKona indicated use enzyme tablets or packets to keep the septic tank and lines biologically active. I usually flush one packet's worth of enzymes from my farthest toilet from the septic system once a month to keep the entire septic line clear. Don't overdo the enzymes as too much can cause a biological imbalance creating too much nitrogen, just like an aquarium you want a good balance.

Don't use stuff like Drano unless it specifically says it's safe for septic systems.

Getting back OT, man that sucks when a previous tenant does crap like that. When I used to rent on Oahu I made sure my landlord and I did a final walk thru to make sure all issues were addressed because I never wanted to be surprised with a phone call a month later telling me that they found some damage.

Once the walkthru is completed and I sign off on the house, I'm not responsible for anything found after the fact. I also do a walkthru before signing a lease agreement, taking photos of any pre-existing damage and doing the common stuff like making sure the drains, lights, and other amenities provided work PRIOR to signing.

Basically do the same paranoid inspections you would do on a car rental before taking it off their lots.
                  Craig,

Does Home Depot have these enzyme tablets or packets you talk about for one's "Septic Tank"? Plus can you suggest a preferred brand?

mahalo

Comment

We have had good results with "Septi-Pak" which I think my husband bought at Home Depot or City Mill, in fact he just treated our tank this morning.

Comment

we had our entire home in kailua tiled. the dumb a@#$%! went and threw grout and whatever else down a drain in our courtyard. it all set-up, but we didn't know it until heavy rains one year nearly flooded our rental cottage and our home. had to get a plumber in there and dig it all out.

had another problem of workmen throwing stuff down drains/pipes in my other house in kapolei. there we were all the family sitting down in this brand new home. niece went to flush the toilet. the washer was running at the same time. immediate FLOOD! called the developer who then had to send out the plumbers to dig out all the stuff. thank GOD the first floor was all tile and not carpet.

apologies. i know this doesn't have to do with the OP, but why do people throw things down drains?!
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
                      X