Cat poop driving me nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cat poop driving me nuts!

How expensive could it be to buy a cat trap for your very own?

What happens here is that if your neighbors don't like that you have cats, they trap them and then let them loose far from home. Or they poison them.

I have been told that bleach is attractive to cats and that slugbait granules are repulsive to them.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post

What happens here is that if your neighbors don't like that you have cats, they trap them and then let them loose far from home. Or they poison them.

I have been told that bleach is attractive to cats and that slugbait granules are repulsive to them.
      I've seen critter traps on eBay for as low as $20, but locally, IIRC, they were close to $90.

There are a lot of common household chemicals that are tasty and poisonous to pets, but I wouldn't recommend going down that road.

A cat that's been fatally poisoned will almost always crawl into an impossible-to-find or an impossible-to-reach spot to die. If you thought the smell of cat poop was bad, try dealing with the smell of a rotting cat for a few months.
      Last edited by zff; October 31, 2008, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        I bought a couple of cat traps on eBay for very cheap. The were bigger than the ones from the Humane Society and held 2-3 cats each.

Comment

I am a cat lover, but the reality is that most (if not all) feral cats in Hawaii carry Feline Aids. The problem with that is that the virus will spread to other pet cats if the sick cat passes throught the yard, especially if the feral cat is using the yard as a giant cat box.

If there is a certain area of your yard that is being turned into a cat box, try putting cuttings of rose bushes or bougainvilla (sp?). Cat do not like to walk around in thorny gardens.

There are commercial products that can be bought that supposedly repel cats, but it is irritating to have to spend money on stuff for naughty cats.

Coffee grounds supposedly repel cats, and is good for the garden.

For those who are giving hints at poisons, please don't go there. When your own cat or dog or baby nephew eats the poison, you'll be really pi$$ed at yourself. Beside the fact that there are more humane ways to get dispatch an animal besides poisoning it.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

My mother-in-law tried the coffee ground thing, and it didn't work. So scratch that one.

I like the sprinkler idea, tho. In fact I thought something similar would work against graffitti vandals. Have a sensor spray the walls and the vandals.

Maybe an IR sensor could trigger the sprinklers when cats show up, too.

Comment

Screw it. Shoot the cats.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

We have feral cats living in the gutters two houses from us and we used to have poop problems. We used to get the traps from the Humane Society, but some midnight walker used to let the cats out when the trap was visible from the sidewalk. We knew a cat had been in it because the food was gone and the trap spung. Anyway, we finally got our own trap from Kilgo when it was still open and we'd put the trap behind some bushes. But we don't seem to have a problem lately (knock on wood). Before the trap, I tried mothballs but didn't like the way our yard smelled.

Comment

Originally posted by almond mocha View Post
                  We have feral cats living in the gutters two houses from us and we used to have poop problems. We used to get the traps from the Humane Society, but some midnight walker used to let the cats out when the trap was visible from the sidewalk. We knew a cat had been in it because the food was gone and the trap spung. Anyway, we finally got our own trap from Kilgo when it was still open and we'd put the trap behind some bushes. But we don't seem to have a problem lately (knock on wood). Before the trap, I tried mothballs but didn't like the way our yard smelled.
                  Hahaha. I'd rather smell mothballs than cat poo........ ROFLMAO That didn't come out quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by rosiev View Post
                    I don't know what to do - I can't even take my child out to the backyard because it is covered in cat poops!!! what can I do to get rid of them and stop them from coming into my yard?!!! Please help!
                    Cats like to bury their poops. Give them something like sand in a box (cat litter won't work too good outside) filter it once a week. That may work.

Cats will kill birds, when they can get them. BUT, they also get rats! We have 2 semi-feral (tamed feral) cats, and very few rats any more.

SHOOT RATS, cherish cats.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                    X