HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 6

I went to the Hawaii Maritime Center a couple of days ago; a last visit before they close their doors on May 1.
    For those who've never been there, here's a few photos:

In the photo above you see that tall observation tower over the Center. Here's the view from up there, looking down at Gordon Biersch at Aloha Tower Marketplace and part of Honolulu Harbor beyond; in the foreground are the remains of two of the Falls Of Clyde's masts:

A slightly different view, showing more of Falls Of Clyde. (I've got more photos of FOC but will post those in the Boating Photos thread in a little while). Right behind FOC in this photo is where Hokulea used to be tied up. I wonder where they'll keep her now?:

More to follow...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

One more view from the tower, looking out the entrance into Honolulu Harbor:

Moving inside. This is just one of many many carvings:

And this is just one of many many paintings. (That water damage on the wall behind it worries me.):

More to follow...

Comment

I was going to post this one in the Where Is This? thread, but figured it would be too easy. It shows how cattle used to be loaded on and off ships:

I wanted to go to the Maritime Center before it closes partly because of the exhibits about the TranasPac yacht race and because I'm in the two photos on the wall (below). This photo is of the stern of a Santa Cruz 70, built by Bill Lee specifically for the Maritime Center:

And here's a look in the cockpit. It gives you an idea, though a real raceboat has much much more equipment and electronics. The hatch opens to the navigation station below, situated there so the navigator can communicate easily with the helmsman. The steering wheel is halfway recessed into the cockpit sole because the wheel is huuuge (90" diameter, as I recall). And that triangular thing on the sole behind the wheel is so the helmsman can brace his feet when the boat is heeled way over to one side or the other :

More to follow...

Comment

Here's one of those photos, showing a 70-footer crossing the TransPac finish line, an imaginary line between the red buoy and the Diamond Head lighthouse (right in front of the blue stripe on the spinnaker). Can you see me?

Here's the other photo of us racing down the Molokai Channel before the finish. Can you see me now?

Here's a close-up. There are six people in this shot, five of whom are not me:

Enough of that. Back to the Maritime Center itself. A few more to follow...

Comment

Oops. Two more TransPac shots. This is the cutout under the cockpit, showing the navigator's station that's under that hatch:

And one of the many TransPac trophies on display:

In the center of the museum:

Just a few more to follow...

Comment

Only four more photos to go (and then my camera batteries died):

Just one more photo to follow...

Comment

Last photo, taken outside next to the Falls Of Clyde, just because I like this one :

And then the camera batteries died. Hopefully this little taste of the Maritime Center encourages you to go before it closes, and take your keiki too.
              I hope some good photographers shoot everything in there before it's gone forever.

Comment

Thank you, Lika. DS has been wanting to go; now definitely is the time.

Comment

Wonderful shots, Lika.

Heres a couple of pano's I made years ago that I just recently 'found'.

Comment

Great Shots all of you!!!

Here's a "Homeward Bound" shot of "MIHA".

Notice the clean look...
                    no mast, lines, or sails to block the view. HaHa!
                    But someday, I'll put her together. Maybe I should hold a "Fund raiser"?
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Took this shot while walking out to the GEEK MEET this morning!

Oh, did I tell you I love boats?!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's a couple i've grabbed with my Canon point & shoot (SD780) in the last couple days. I don't like lugging around my DSLR all the time so the SD780 seems to do a great job of adventure capturing.

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

continued from last post....

Comment

the Kailua sky today around 4pm

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
                              Heres a couple of pano's I made years ago that I just recently 'found'.
                              Nice! I just made a pano on a whim this past weekend when my family and I visited the Pali Lookout.

Click 'All Sizes' above the photo to see the full size. The iPhone is no Nikon, but the seam blending of the 'Pano' app is pretty impressive.

Comment

Working...
                              X