Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amati
    replied
    3 years since my last garden update: African Snails are in control, after keeping the excess dropped leaves to a minimum and use of generic Sluggo.
    Mango tree was abundant with mangos until losing over 100 green ones to the winds. But I've still got a couple of dozen that are getting bigger each day.
    Dwarf banana plants have 2 big bunches of green bananas, awaiting some yellow color so those bunches can be cut down.
    I've been working on reducing the variety of plants in my yard for ease of upkeep, with a concentration of keeping the low-water-need plants.

Why join an exercise gym when you can get a good workout in the garden?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    A new study reveals a surprising health benefit for people who garden — and it’s not just about fruits and veggies (yahoo.com)

Stress free.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    few health benefits in mass produce https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk...38vTAOhrwllA0s

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Hawaii News Now at 6:00 p.m.

Get on the Weeeeed!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    portable raised beds https://victory8garden.com
    in memory of racer Barry Setzer https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...X2AtZKPrHZ1abU

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied
    Re: What's in your garden now?

" ...what's in your garden?" 10 years later after first asking the question, I've a new addition to my garden. An unwanted addition. African Snails!! It happens to coincide with the extra time I have at home due to the Covid shutdowns, so I've time to clean my garden beds of old leaves and other hiding places for snails. And to trim back plants so that I have better control of what all is going on, as well as now can see the dirt (and pests) instead of the ground being covered by vegetation. And beside those "clean up" tasks, I've been applying non-toxic snail killer (iron phosphate). Things are going well with a tremendous reduction in the snails.

Meanwhile, my dwarf bananas have two still-green bunches, it won't be long until they turn ripe and yellow.

Is anyone else doing more gardening due to having more "home time" from Covid shutdowns?

Leave a comment:

• Robbos
    replied

I love to put veggie trash into bowls of water and see if they sprout leaves or roots. Celery and lettuce butts are great for this. Beans and rice sprout roots really easily. And all these can then be planted in a pot. Old potatoes can be planted in the ground and will produce several pounds, over and over. Free food!

Leave a comment:

• joeanybody
    replied

Start in your area. Continue the meandering walks and be open to the beauty around you. You will see what can grow well in your microclimate. If you see something really cool, this is a great opportunity to contact your neighbor to find out how she did it or who she hired. Maybe you will make friends or even get a free plant or two! I also recommend using https://grass-killer.com/reviews/bes...-weed-killers/ to clear the area

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Bummers ah? Just gotta try whatever and see what goes and what doesn't. Wife wants me to try artichoke. Well whattheheck.

You might have to try artichokes if they don't turn the water on in California. We may have to 'fend for ourselves here more if the farms all dry up.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied

Ah, I didn't know they were called Red-Whiskered Bulbuls. Such elegant little birds. The only thing bulbuls go for in our garden are small yellow flowers produced in abundance by some long, thin leaved plants. Bulbuls perch on the fence and swoop down to snatch a flower at a time. They don't bother the papayas.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied
    Re: What could be in your garden now?

Look what I found! Yay for us condo dwellers!

There is hope for me yet.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

Originally posted by Adri View Post
    ... I haven't replanted because it attracted a lot lot of bulbuls.
    Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    As for the bulbuls, I have no sympathy for them. Try getting some cheap chicken wire from City Mill or whatever. Just throw it over the plants using wood stakes to keep it elevated. This is why the state had declared these "introduced" birds as agricultural pests.
    I was not sure what a Bulbul was, so I googled. I learned that there are two types found in Hawaii, and both are considered invasive species.

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org...tedbulbul.html
    Red-vented Bulbul

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org...redbulbul.html
    Red-whiskered Bulbul

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Originally posted by Albert View Post
    Collard greens, strawberries, papayas, mangos, nasturtiums. For some reason tomatoes didn't do well at all this year and an attempt at sunflowers was a dismal failure.
    Bummers ah? Just gotta try whatever and see what goes and what doesn't. Wife wants me to try artichoke. Well whattheheck.

Adri, the wife has Thai basil and another variety that I thought was the sweet basil. Not, and the bugs like this one. Our plant is finally topping 24" after losing a couple of starters to bugs. The Thai basil is going crazy, but the leaves are kinda small. Have to pick a bunch to make pesto, plus it has a stronger taste.

As for the bulbuls, I have no sympathy for them. Try getting some cheap chicken wire from City Mill or whatever. Just throw it over the plants using wood stakes to keep it elevated. This is why the state had declared these "introduced" birds as agricultural pests. A breeding pair and it's offspring can ruin a whole tree of mountain apples as well as papayas. What sucks is they don't eat everything. Just enough to ruin any ripe fruit. They also cause tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage to our local ag industry. I really hates it when I reach up to grab a fruit to pick and my fingers go inside the fruit on the hidden side. By that time, the fruit flies have done their jobs and them tiny "maggots" are busy doing their thang as well. Eeeuuuwww.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied

Collard greens, strawberries, papayas, mangos, nasturtiums. For some reason tomatoes didn't do well at all this year and an attempt at sunflowers was a dismal failure.

Leave a comment:

• Sharilyn
    replied

Previous discussion here:http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?p=235390

I wish we could plant veggies, but we attract all the bugs in the neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X