No announcement yet.

Wondering how to prepare to tile a shower surround in a single wall Hick's Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering how to prepare to tile a shower surround in a single wall Hick's Home

We've completely gutted the bathroom in our recently acquired 1950s single wall Hick's Home. Sixty years time along with with water and termite damage lead to enough damage to require replacement of some joists, all the subfloor plus some single wall. At this point there is a new tub installed and tile on hand but we're stalled at installing cement board, water proofing and tile.

With the single wall only 3/4" thick and wishing to have the cement board overhang without contacting the tub, I'm considering first gluing and screwing a layer of 3/8" treated plywood over the single wall first. That will provide a
    1 1/8" thick surface to screw cement board to as well as space the cement board out over the tub lip a reasonable distance.

How doe this sound? Any experienced tile guys on the North Shore who have worked with Kerdi and Ditra?

Thanks for any ideas.

Sciguy

Re: Wondering how to prepare to tile a shower surround in a single wall Hick's Home

How did you end up doing this? I'm think of retiling my mom's bath surround which is single wall t/g redwood too.

Comment

Re: Wondering how to prepare to tile a shower surround in a single wall Hick's Home

We ended up shopping for a pre-fab enclosed shower (fiberglass) last time we needed to install one. Just a thought.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
        How did you end up doing this? I'm think of retiling my mom's bath surround which is single wall t/g redwood too.
        Still waiting on ideas as to how to proceed. The outdoor shower is getting a bit cool with all the cloudy cool weather lately too

Sciguy

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          We ended up shopping for a pre-fab enclosed shower (fiberglass) last time we needed to install one.
          I agree with Amati. A prefab enclosure is going to be the most cost effective, easy, and long lasting solution. There are many companies that make them including Lasco one of the most prolific. These are not nearly as pretty as a tile shower but the most utilitarian particularly on single wall construction.

Originally posted by SciGuy View Post
          At this point there is a new tub installed and tile on hand but we're stalled at installing cement board, water proofing and tile.

With the single wall only 3/4" thick and wishing to have the cement board overhang without contacting the tub, I'm considering first gluing and screwing a layer of 3/8" treated plywood over the single wall first. That will provide a
          1 1/8" thick surface to screw cement board to as well as space the cement board out over the tub lip a reasonable distance.
          In my opinion, your solution is going to be very unsatisfactory. The plywood underlayment is going to cause a lot of problems even if you use exterior grade plywood. It would be better to use marine grade for your purposes but that will cost you mucho dollars and still won't be satisfactory. You will continue to have problems with different rates of expansion between the single wall construction and the backer board (cement board).

I have NEVER done this but it would be worth checking out. Install a fiberglass tub surround. Scuff the fiberglass surround with sandpaper. Then apply a thin set base to the fiberglass and mount the tile to that. Again, I have never done this, but it would be worth checking with a very experienced tile man to see if this is feasible. I doubt it because the fiberglass surround is somewhat flexible and will cause cracking and de-tilification.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
          X