Growing red ginger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing red ginger?

I have two bunches going for a few years now.
    I must be doing something wrong because I only get three to for gingers every two weeks.
    I water everyday befor sundown.
    Keep weeds down to a minumum.
    They get sun all day long.
    Are they that hard to grow????

Re: Growing red ginger?

Hi. In San Diego I have found red ginger impossible to grow. Yellow, white, Kahili, edible, all grow fine, but not red and not pink. Yet our Japanese teacher said it grew great at her house which is only a few miles from here. Its a totally spectacular plant, I'd love to have some growing here.

Comment

In fact the gingers are budding already, this is pretty early, its usually in September or October. Some trees are starting to change color too, I wonder if plants have some way of sensing a coming early or cool winter. Its been a cooler than usual summer here, but sunnier than most; no June Gloom or May Gray. I look forward to loading the house up with fragrant yellow & white ginger blooms soon.

Comment

They all love sun and water. In Kahalu`u they get rain often and we can't keep up with the blooms - more than we can pick, all year round. Misting also helps, and other vegetation nearby helps keep them from drying out. Good, loose rich soil helps, too.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          They all love sun and water. In Kahalu`u they get rain often and we can't keep up with the blooms - more than we can pick, all year round. Misting also helps, and other vegetation nearby helps keep them from drying out. Good, loose rich soil helps, too.
          Must be a Windward-side thing. I live in Kaneohe and red ginger grows like weeds here too. I finally got fed up trying to keep them maintained and got rid of all the plants at my house.

Comment

Mines just don't seem to bloom much.
            Both are in the sun all day long. Water morning and night.
            Even when we have long rain, it dosen't seem to help.
            Maybe I just got junk plants.

Comment

Working...
            X