Removing poster tape from walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing poster tape from walls

I have several posters hanging on the wall using the thick, double stick poster tape. I just removed the posters and the tape is still on the wall. I scraped off what I could but there's still a residue. Are there any regular household products or tips you might have that will take off the residue without removing the latex wall paint? Big mahalos!

Re: Removing poster tape from walls

There is a product called goo gone... I use it to take labels off old VHS tapes and it works amazingly well...

Mentions stuff about tape on it too...

http://www.organize-everything.com/googone8oz.html

Comment

I second Manoa's comment - "Goo Gone" is excellent for removing all kinds of sticky residue safely.

Comment

Thanks, guys! Forgot to mention, the Goo Gone is at home and I'm in the office embarking on a full on art wall change beginning at 4:30. That's when my help arrives! Several pieces of tape came off by using my hair blow dryer on high heat! Several more are too stubborn for heat so I was hoping there might be something more 'household' for lack of a better word...such as vinegar or WD40 or...wine! Something I don't have to go shopping for on a holiday at 5p.

I know, I know. Poor planning on my part but I've been having too much fun with my daughter to even think of the wall 'til the 11th hour. My bad.

Comment

You might try mineral oil:

"It works (albeit poorly) as a release agent for molds, especially in fiberglass casting."
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

(but I would test it first somewhere where it won't be noticed)

Comment

WD40 might also work -- but it might leave a stain itself, so be cautious with it.

Comment

Some brands are also removable when warmed with a hair dryer
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                Some brands are also removable when warmed with a hair dryer
                isn't that what she said she tried to do?
                Several pieces of tape came off by using my hair blow dryer on high heat!
                Just razzing you ml

Comment

Try nail polish remover, it's less likely to stain the wall with an oil residue. If that doesn't totally get it off then go with the WD40 on a Qtip or small paint brush so it's not all over the place and dripping from the spray.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    isn't that what she said she tried to do?

Just razzing you ml
                    haha...it's all good. If a post has more than 3 lines, I don't bother reading it.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                      Try nail polish remover, it's less likely to stain the wall with an oil residue. If that doesn't totally get it off then go with the WD40 on a Qtip or small paint brush so it's not all over the place and dripping from the spray.
                      Oh yeah, nail polish remover! That's good stuff, too. I use non-acetone nail polish remover on a paper towel to remove the crud from my keyboard and mouse.

Comment

No worries ML... Ever since I became HT addicted...

I tend to open up more than 1 window so that way I can do my other stuff and attempt to keep up with HT... so that I don't find myself in that same perdicament...

However, I often find things will back fire as it doesn't always work for me a lot of the times and my thought and threads drift like they are now....

and often times my mind skips words and i feel very dyslexic when I re-read what I posted!
                        Last edited by damontucker; September 4, 2006, 07:47 PM.

Comment

OT but kind of OT in that it's fits in with the houshold remedies for clean-up problems...

Use Oxy10 (the over the counter acne lotion) to remove ballpoint and sharpie marker from vinyl type things....dolls, car upholstery, chairs etc.

Ya just spread the stuff on and let the sun hit it, rotating it as needed for the light to hit the different areas. The ink fades over time without damaging the vinyl. It can take awhile for it to work though so it's not a quick fix. For example, permanent marker, which takes the longest, can take up to a month if it's been heavily markered and it's cloudy for long periods. Ballpoint pen usually takes about a week depending on the coverage of the ink and amount of sun.

I had an old vinyl doll that's a collectable and my youngest got all artistic on it's face with a pen. The Oxy took off the ink completely and didn't damage or alter the underlaying color of the cheeks or the painted eyebrows.

Works really good on car dashboard, door and arm vinyls.

Comment

Working...
                          X