Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interisland Moving company

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
    If you really don't have much of value, then getting down to a couple of boxes might be fine. But, then you'd have to buy everything new for your house. Yikes.
    Welcome to the Big Island!
    But from a woman's point of view, isn't that the whole point of buying a new house? The going out and buying new things to put in the new house? I know that's what happened to me when I bought my condo and moved from a rental. Good thing I didn't have to move very far (about 2 blocks) and that most of the stuff I had was portable.

When I moved from Boston, I sent all my books and my dinnerware via USPS (I'm proud to say that I packed the box of plates and cups myself and lost only 1 plate!), and drove myself, my TV, stereo and clothes cross country in my car by myself. All the furniture I had was given away (couch, bed, etc).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
      What are you doing about your mail? When you first moved there did you have you mail sent to Kea'au Post Office 'General Delivery'? Or are there PO Boxes there to rent? I'll need a physical mail box almost right away for business purposes. Have any ideas?
      There's a mailbox rental place in Pāhoa (across the street from the 7-11) called the "1-Stop Mail Shop" where you can have your mail and packages sent to. You can reach them at (808) 965-1111.
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        But from a woman's point of view, isn't that the whole point of buying a new house? The going out and buying new things to put in the new house? I know that's what happened to me when I bought my condo and moved from a rental. Good thing I didn't have to move very far (about 2 blocks) and that most of the stuff I had was portable.
        Unfortunately, the selection of places on the Hilo side that sell quality home furnishings is limited. There's Koehnen's, Furnitureland, Yamada Furniture, J & J Hardware and a few other places for couches, beds, tables, etc. There's also Wal-Mart, Cost-U-Less, Sears, and Ross for other items; however, that's pretty much it, unless one goes to Kona or Honolulu. The majority of the furnishings in the last house that I purchased in Puna came from Koehnen's in Hilo and Costco and C.S. Wo in Kona.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          But from a woman's point of view, isn't that the whole point of buying a new house? The going out and buying new things to put in the new house?
          Guess if you can afford to do that, or want to do that, great. I'm happy with the used possessions I have, and would rather spend my money on other things besides new furniture and household items. But, to each their own.

You need to plan for extra cash on the Big Island for things like gasoline (high prices and long distances to travel), private schools (if you have kids and the area's public school is not decent), and extra snorkles and fins and boogieboards for all the visitors you will have.

Comment

Aloha Plummy,

What are you doing about your mail? When you first moved there did you have you mail sent to Kea'au Post Office 'General Delivery'? Or are there PO Boxes there to rent? I'll need a physical mail box almost right away for business purposes. Have any ideas?
            I almost went with the 1-Stop that Jonah mentioned, but figured that since I was going to be in Hilo every day, might as well just get a P.O. Box there. Only had to wait a couple days while they were changing the locks out of the people who didn't renew their old boxes so that was nice. But definately check out 1-Stop since they can also receive your packages so you don't have to worry about package stealers if you're away from home when they deliver it.
            ~ Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
              Unfortunately, the selection of places on the Hilo side that sell quality home furnishings is limited. There's Koehnen's, Furnitureland, Yamada Furniture, J & J Hardware and a few other places for couches, beds, tables, etc. There's also Wal-Mart, Cost-U-Less, Sears, and Ross for other items; however, that's pretty much it, unless one goes to Kona or Honolulu. The majority of the furnishings in the last house that I purchased in Puna came from Koehnen's in Hilo and Costco and C.S. Wo in Kona.
              I ended up getting some stuff from Furnitureland. After three months, its leaving a lot to be desired, or at least the sofas and chair are. Looked great on the showroom floor, but oh well. It was a last minute purchase and didn't have time to run over to Kona when it was time to purchase stuff.
              ~ Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Plummy View Post
                I ended up getting some stuff from Furnitureland. After three months, its leaving a lot to be desired, or at least the sofas and chair are. Looked great on the showroom floor, but oh well. It was a last minute purchase and didn't have time to run over to Kona when it was time to purchase stuff.
                what makes my moving decision difficult is this couch my wife and I picked up one year ago. It's a black leather couch that we paid over $1200 for, and it's pretty comfortable.

I agree with everybody's ideas about moving. SouthKona brings up some very practical points for the average local family. Though it would be really hassle for me to load a container myself, I probaby would if I was moving into an older home. But since I'll be moving into a brand new custom home,new furniture will look a lot better than packing up the 10 year old "Lazyboy",and ship it. Something about old furniture in a new house, it just looks odd!!!
                So, because of that damn couch i'm at this crossroad, a crossroad that has made me put on the brakes hard & fast. Because I can't make the call as what to do I have postponed my move to the Big Island by one month. Jan 29th is now my departure date.

I just have a hard time getting past the quote I got of $800.00 per 1000 pounds from one of the moving companies.

Comment

what makes my moving decision difficult is this couch my wife and I picked up one year ago. It's a black leather couch that we paid over $1200 for, and it's pretty comfortable.

I agree with everybody's ideas about moving. SouthKona brings up some very practical points for the average local family. Though it would be really hassle for me to load a container myself, I probaby would if I was moving into an older home. But since I'll be moving into a brand new custom home,new furniture will look a lot better than packing up the 10 year old "Lazyboy",and ship it. Something about old furniture in a new house, it just looks odd!!!
                  So, because of that damn couch i'm at this crossroad, a crossroad that has made me put on the brakes hard & fast. Because I can't make the call as what to do I have postponed my move to the Big Island by one month. Jan 29th is now my departure date.

I just have a hard time getting past the quote I got of $800.00 per 1000 pounds from one of the moving companies.
                  It might be better to part with that leather couch and purchase a microfiber one instead. I found that leather furniture doesn't fare as well in Puna, compared to furniture covered with other materials.

Comment

I seriously doubt you're going to get anyone to pay $1200 for that couch, no matter how good the condition is, so you have to decide whether or not its worth shipping it or selling it for $700-800. And as I said before, if you're moving into a brand newly built home, you really do want new furniture. Plus, more than likely your new home will have more space than where you're moving from, so that means buying even more stuff!

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Beachboy...there are usually independent movers (a couple of guys and a truck) listed in the classified section of the newspapers. I believe that section might be called 'Services'...or something like that. Anyway, how 'bout hiring a couple of guys to be your 'beasts of burden' and load a YB container for you? You obviously won't need the truck but you can probably get the labor on an hourly basis. You would also need to do the same on the Puna end. Just a thought!

Buying new furniture is expensive. If you have some buckaroonies stashed for that purpose...then go for it. Otherwise, you really can make do with older furniture in a new house!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Beachboy...there are usually independent movers (a couple of guys and a truck) listed in the classified section of the newspapers. I believe that section might be called 'Services'...or something like that. Anyway, how 'bout hiring a couple of guys to be your 'beasts of burden' and load a YB container for you? You obviously won't need the truck but you can probably get the labor on an hourly basis. You would also need to do the same on the Puna end. Just a thought!

Buying new furniture is expensive. If you have some buckaroonies stashed for that purpose...then go for it. Otherwise, you really can make do with older furniture in a new house!
                        Tutusue, you speak with a voice of reason! I'd much rather sit on my "old" furniture in my new house for a few months or so, and shop at my leisure, than have to rush out and buy everything from the start because all I had going for me was a box to sit on until I shopped.

Ditto for your advice to hire some muscle. Moving companies will come to load and unload your container for a flat rate or hourly (but get a max beforehand, in writing).

Beachboy,don't get caught up in the "have to have new" syndrome. If you want new, then do it. But if you are happy with what you have, then be satisfied and buy new later. You do NOT have to have new furniture just because you have a new house - old can work just fine to start off with.

Comment

Tutusue, you speak with a voice of reason![...]Ditto for your advice to hire some muscle. Moving companies will come to load and unload your container for a flat rate or hourly (but get a max beforehand, in writing).[...]
                          It's more a voice of experience than reason! Moving was a way of life for me until I moved to Makaha in 1992. 400 sq ft X 14 years = paradise! My parents spent several decades buying, fixing up and selling. The term "flipper" was unheard of at that time. We lived in each property. I inherited that gene. The furniture always moved to the new house, to be replaced when it wore out. The only time I can remember buying a houseful of new furniture is when I got married in 1963.

"Beasts of burden" from a large moving company will cost more than the independent guys. Something to ask the indies is if they carry insurance. IOW, if they accidentally drop or break something, will they pay for it.

Comment

Beachboy,don't get caught up in the "have to have new" syndrome. If you want new, then do it. But if you are happy with what you have, then be satisfied and buy new later. You do NOT have to have new furniture just because you have a new house - old can work just fine to start off with.
                            I hear what you are saying Southkona. But like I said before. I have lived in a few termite palaces over the years. So I'm willing to bet that all my wooden furniture is contaminated with Termites!!!!

I'm gonna take a lot of my stuffs(personal belongings), but there is so much that is not necessary. What will make it possible to buy some new furniture is my moving to Puna before house is completed. If I was to stay in Honolulu at current house while home is being built I'd pay roughly around 6 grand in rent. By moving at end of Jan. I kill to birds with one stone. I save that six grand in rent, and get my older boy situated in school. I'm getting virually a free house to live in while my custom home is being built. I only have to pay utilities there Is that awesome or what? My free house with be on 9th Ave in HPP, while my home is being built on 3rd Ave in HPP. So I'll be able to check process of construction easily from 3rd Ave.
                            I'm totally set. The only thing that scares me is by all indications, we are heading into a "El Nino" type year, and my house will be of course Cathment water system?!

I'm a little worried about "Ice" problem that my friend said is apprent in Pahoa Town. Last thing I need is my kids being exposed to that crap!!!

Comment

I hear what you are saying Southkona. But like I said before. I have lived in a few termite palaces over the years. So I'm willing to bet that all my wooden furniture is contaminated with Termites!!!!

I'm gonna take a lot of my stuffs(personal belongings), but there is so much that is not necessary. What will make it possible to buy some new furniture is my moving to Puna before house is completed. If I was to stay in Honolulu at current house while home is being built I'd pay roughly around 6 grand in rent. By moving at end of Jan. I kill to birds with one stone. I save that six grand in rent, and get my older boy situated in school. I'm getting virually a free house to live in while my custom home is being built. I only have to pay utilities there Is that awesome or what? My free house with be on 9th Ave in HPP, while my home is being built on 3rd Ave in HPP. So I'll be able to check process of construction easily from 3rd Ave.
                              I'm totally set. The only thing that scares me is by all indications, we are heading into a "El Nino" type year, and my house will be of course Cathment water system?!

I'm a little worried about "Ice" problem that my friend said is apprent in Pahoa Town. Last thing I need is my kids being exposed to that crap!!!
                              If your builder put in some "termite barriers" (basaltic for a slab, and metal shields for "post and pier"), you won't have to worry much about termite infestations your new house.

Speaking of catchment systems, it's helpful to have an upgraded catchment and water purification system. If you don't already have a copy of "Rainwater Catchment Systems for Hawai'i", you can download it from the link below....
                              http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

In addition, you might want to consider getting a solar water heater instead of an electric one. There are some programs where you can reduce your electricity bill and get couple of tax breaks and/or rebates as well. It also helps to get all "Energy Star" compliant appliances.

As for the "ice problem" in Puna, the "Weed and Seed Program" (especially the installation of the cameras near Luquin's) sent many of the "ice heads" down to Kehena.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
                                If your builder put in some "termite barriers" (basaltic for a slab, and metal shields for "post and pier"), you won't have to worry much about termite infestations your new house.
                                Termite barriers are pretty effective for preventing ground termites from colonizing your house from underground. However, they aren't 100% proof against ground termites -- there are occasionally cases of aerial infestation by ground termites, where an airborne mating pair finds your roof, settles in, and starts munching from the top down!

Of course, those barriers don't do anything to stop drywood termites. They don't burrow like ground termites do; instead, they're the ones that you usually see swarming on hot summer nights. You just gotta be vigilant, and tent every few years.

And if your furniture has termites already, then you're just asking for trouble because you're literally bringing them into your home yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X