Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: feral Cats, house cats, cats in general

Web Site Tracks Birds' Worst Enemies: Cats

A more accomplished bird-killer than a cat could not have been conceived, and we spend millions the killers.

Comment

Re: keeping cats out of vegetable garden

Cats really hate being shot at with a low powered BB gun. (no I don't hit them, I aim near them and I am a good shot)
      My garden is cat -free!
      Now I have a dog thought so she works too!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

get a dog
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

This reminded me of an old local "wives tale" about putting jars or jugs of water along the lawn edge to keep out stray cats and dogs. Not enough jars or jugs to actually make a fence, mind you. I recall my uncle used to do this. I wonder who thought of the idea and why they thought it might work?

Comment

I have done that except I filled the jugs with ammonia....the downside?? You have to change the ammonia frequently.

Comment

I never knew cats in a vegetable garden was such a problem. I always thought they were strictly meat eaters!

Comment

have you tried asking the kitty to please stay in your garden?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: keeping cats out of garden

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I never knew cats in a vegetable garden was such a problem. I always thought they were strictly meat eaters!
                  With cats around the garden the only avian life visiting the garden on return trips is wild chickens.

A previous statement completed reads as: A more accomplished bird-killer than a cat could not have been conceived, and we spend billions to feed the bird-killers else we abandon them to feed near exclusively on all birds not chickens.
                  Last edited by waioli kai; January 7, 2007, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Being at the top of the food chain, we forget a few universal truths. To keep (feral) cats away, lay down the scent of a predator. If you have a dog...have Bowser shi-shi near the area in question. If you don't have a dog...well, ever notice how cats are usually skittish around people

Yeah, I did it and it worked!

Comment

Wow. This is an old thread.

Like Adri, I'd heard and seen the "glass jars" thing. Several of our neighbors did it in Aiea when I was a kid. Had no idea if it worked, or the basic concept. Something about the reflection unnerving trespassers, though I don't know if it was aimed specifically at domestic pets.

And... we're at the top of the food chain? I think there are a few other creatures that periodically and rightfully assert a higher position!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        Like Adri, I'd heard and seen the "glass jars" thing. Several of our neighbors did it in Aiea when I was a kid. Had no idea if it worked, or the basic concept. Something about the reflection unnerving trespassers, though I don't know if it was aimed specifically at domestic pets.
                        I didn't check if I posted in this thread.

K-den. Here at MWH there are ukapila gallons of water filled jugs surrounding yards. It must do the job cause the practice continues. I live on the first floor. I don't follow my neighbors in what they do. Why? It's ugly. You get nice yard with beautiful flowers only to spoil it by putting "plastic" gallons filled with water like Dominos to prevent Cat's? I no tink so.

My problem is dee DOGS!

Yep! They still roaming around. Rules and Regulations?

Plezzzzzzzzzzzzz.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          Here at MWH there are ukapila gallons of water filled jugs surrounding yards.
                          Jugs? Like milk jugs? As in, translucent, rather than clear glass or plastic? That's... bizarre. That would definitely go against the theory I was told about the whole thing as an animal deterrent. Maybe it's just ridiculous superstition? Maybe they saw "Signs" one too many times?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            Jugs? Like milk jugs? As in, translucent, rather than clear glass or plastic? That's... bizarre. That would definitely go against the theory I was told about the whole thing as an animal deterrent. Maybe it's just ridiculous superstition? Maybe they saw "Signs" one too many times?
                            You see them EVERYWHERE in the country here. BIG time.

Comment

I read about putting chili pepper powder in the garden.

I don't know how effective that is. I suppose the powder would be irritating to their noses.

Comment

Working...
                              X