X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread

Another...

The Tikiyaki Dreamhouse....

A beachfront Mid Century Modern Post and beam house with wall of windows on Kailua beach, about 150 ft from the water.

This one is in bad need of restoration...a job I would Gladly take on should I find the 3 or so million dollars to buy it...

Hey, we gotta have dreams, right ?

I'd fill this with all my cool 50's furniture, outfit it with recording gear and lots of tikis and I'd be the happiest guy on earth.

Walk the dogs on the beach in the morning....perfect.

http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
      all the boys bombing a hill on the big island
      I recognize that location too, that is the road down to Kua bay.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

fixed it for you... it is a nice shot.

lets try that again

Comment

This hale + the lot in the red square = Heaven!
          I took both pictures and stayed in that hale at Kona Village Resort. Ooooh, to move that little grass shack, exactly as it is, to that beautiful lot in Makaha. Dreams rock!
          Attached Files

Comment

Was Kona village a nice vacation? I bet it was, you're so lucky
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              Was Kona village a nice vacation? I bet it was, you're so lucky
              KVR is my most favorite spot on earth. If given the choice I'd take 2 nights there over 2 weeks anywhere else. What I'd really love is 2 weeks at Kona Village!!! I'll settle for 4 nights this Oct. Can't wait!

Comment

Fern on lava

Lehua flowers at Volcanoes National Park.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Hana Girl has left the showroom...

Well I know most of you in hawaii remember the cute Golden Pup, running around McKenna's showroom floors in his Kailua Dealerships. By the time I joined the McKenna Family, Hana had retired. She would visit seldomly, usually special occasions.

But we're going to miss her..

Love,
                  Mz. Kaya
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter
                    lets try that again

808, nice photoshop work. I'm a photoshop guy too. I didn't wanna "cheat" and fix it, but you sure did a great job. Now it's a perfect sunset shot.

Mel, your photography continues to floor me. What kind of camera are you using ?

I'm thinking of getting a "real" digital camera (as opposed to my pointy and shoot) and seriously getting into photography as a hobby, and I need to know what kind of camera I should buy.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                      Mel, your photography continues to floor me. What kind of camera are you using ?
                      Thank you for your comments.

The cameras I use are the following:

Canon 300 D "Digital Rebel": This is the first generation DSLR camera made by Canon that cost under $1000 (body only). I bought this when it first came out in September 2003 and use it for most of my photos. I have a couple of lenses that go with this, bag and all the other stuff one would expect with such a camera. I am thinking about upgrading to the Canon Rebel XTi.

Sony Cybershot P50: This is my first point and shoot digital; have had this since 2000; still use it. Easier to carry around than the Canon and all of its stuff.

Sony Cybershot U30: Bought this in 2004 on a whim. I liked the size of this thing and simplicity. Talk about point and shoot... fixed focus lens, no zooming, tiny size.

I also have some old film cameras that I use from time to time. 3 Minolta SLRs, an old Minolta TLR, some point and shoots.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

Canon 300 D "Digital Rebel": This is the first generation DSLR camera made by Canon that cost under $1000 (body only). I bought this when it first came out in September 2003 and use it for most of my photos. I have a couple of lenses that go with this, bag and all the other stuff one would expect with such a camera. I am thinking about upgrading to the Canon Rebel XTi.

Sony Cybershot P50: This is my first point and shoot digital; have had this since 2000; still use it. Easier to carry around than the Canon and all of its stuff.

Sony Cybershot U30: Bought this in 2004 on a whim. I liked the size of this thing and simplicity. Talk about point and shoot... fixed focus lens, no zooming, tiny size.

I also have some old film cameras that I use from time to time. 3 Minolta SLRs, an old Minolta TLR, some point and shoots.
                        Thanx Mel. I see that they go on ebay pretty inexpensively.

The only thing that concerns me is megapixels. My Olympus C-60 is 6.1 megapixels, of course it's point and shoot, but these days the megapixel count is much higher on new cameras. I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes once you get past 6 megapixel resolution, cos your photos look great at 6.3. Then again, you probably have some great lenses too.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          This hale + the lot in the red square = Heaven!
                          I took both pictures and stayed in that hale at Kona Village Resort. Ooooh, to move that little grass shack, exactly as it is, to that beautiful lot in Makaha. Dreams rock!
                          My uber rich cousin (he married into a rich family) was telling me about the KVR, and how he went there on his honeymoon, and loved it. I went home and looked it up...friggin $900 a night !!!!

It sure looks great tho'

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

Well, 4 years later (now) and feast your eyes on the new $4K DUAL DIGIC III processor Canon EOS-1D Mark III! Check out the flash site on this exciting new DSLR. WOW! Drool. Drool. Drool.

A coworker of mine is getting some great shots out of his new entry-level 6 megapixel Nikon D40 DSLR. Then Nikon pulls a number on him and just released a 10 Megapixel version D40x.

Don't you hate when you think you've got the latest, greatest gadget, and they upgrade just a month later - and way too late for you to return the one you already bought?.
                            Last edited by Pomai; March 6, 2007, 08:38 PM. Reason: link
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              Thanx Mel. I see that they go on ebay pretty inexpensively.

The only thing that concerns me is megapixels. My Olympus C-60 is 6.1 megapixels, of course it's point and shoot, but these days the megapixel count is much higher on new cameras. I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes once you get past 6 megapixel resolution, cos your photos look great at 6.3. Then again, you probably have some great lenses too.
                              The original Digital Rebel was discontinued in early 2006, shortly after the Digital Rebel XT came out the year before. I am not surprised these older Canons are fetching some bargain prices today.

As for the megapixel count, sometimes I think it is largely overrated unless you are planning to probably have your photos published in National Geographic or some other types of high gloss prestige publication, or maybe just make poster sized prints. The maximum megapixels in my Canon is 6.0... I often don't shoot that high since most of my pictures end up being printed as 4 x 6's, used on the web or published in the occasional newsletter.

For example the photo below was taken in 2005 with my Sony P50... held the sucker on a small rock, shot several frames and hoped for the best.

Of course Photoshop can do miracles with a lot of half decent photos... low tide sunset at Ala Moana Beach Park.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Don't you hate when you think you've got the latest, greatest gadget, and they upgrade just a month later - and way too late for you to return the one you already bought?.
                                Oh yeah, I hate it. But then again, it happens all the time. Today's state of the art is tomorrow's has been. If we all ran out to buy the latest and greatest, we'd all end up in the poor house.

I try to make do with what I have and save up for what hopefully may be a significant upgrade. Of course affordability comes into my picture a lot... while I would love to buy the latest top of the line Canon or even Nikon, I will probably more than likely stay in the same DSLR class that I am presently in. The body of course is not the only thing. The lens is probably more important... and the good thing with most DSLRs, there is some backward compatibility with older lenses.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X