R.I.P., Auntie Genoa Keawe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R.I.P., Auntie Genoa Keawe

Auntie Genoa had been in the hospital since late January, I spoke with Kaleo's (Eric) daughter Mandy and understood that it would be only a matter of time. Is Alika singing in your hearts right now? It is for me.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

May she rest in peace.

Lovena
      Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
        Auntie Genoa had been in the hospital since late January, I spoke with Kaleo's (Eric) daughter Mandy and understood that it would be only a matter of time. Is Alika singing in your hearts right now? It is for me.
        If you see Moana, please give her a hug for me. It's been some time since I last worked one of their family gatherings at the bar, and I remember those were good times. Especially when Auntie (and whoever else in her family could fit on stage) would get up and sing her signature songs.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I'm going to miss you my sweet Leilani, aloha `oe. You were truly an inspiring voice to us all.

Comment

Her joy touched all corners of the world - even here in the Seattle area. From the Moloka`i Dispatch:
            Genoa Leilani Adolpho married Edward P. Keawe-Aiko. Together they had 12 children. Today there are 3 survivors, Gary P. Keawe-Aiko (#1), Eli Kaeo Paalua (#8) and Eric K. Keawe (#11). Deceased are Moana, Arthur, Victoria, Edward Jr., Samuel, Miriam, James, Kauilani & Sonny. She has 40 Grand Children 98 Great Grand Children and 81 Great, Great Grand Children. She recognizes her deceased children's spouses as well who has always been there for support when needed, Howard Lono, Iwalani (Ho), Frederick Amina, Snooks (Watson), Barbara (Buchanan), Patrick Ah Yuen and two hanai daughters Suzie Harrison and Roberta Silva.
            Howard Lono & his wife, Manu, run a halau in a southern suburb of Seattle. Aunty Manu tells me Uncle Howard and family were all there at home when she passed.

Comment

Aue. Aloha 'oe Auntie Genoa Keawe. You will be surely missed. Your 'Alika is singing in my heart right now. Say a prayer for the Keawe family. Wish I had the time to meet you. Now, Hawai'i lost an inspiring voice and you shown your aloha.
              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Such sad news.

I had the good fortune of seeing her perform several times and was always amazed at the vitality of her singing. She always sounded like she was having fun. Most impressive was that demonstration of how long she could sustain a note!

I'm gonna miss her.

Comment

(sings) He ho'oheno kei'a
                  No ku'u makamaka
                  Ka wahine leo hone
                  Mai La'ie
                  'Alika

Comment

I'll always remember the many times we had the pleasure of seeing her and her family perform at the old Regent in Waikiki.

I had the honor, along with many others, of helping care for her when she fell ill. She was always gracious. A lovely, lovely woman.

Rest in peace, Auntie.

Comment

Truly a sad day in Hawaiian music.

Aloha 'oe You will be missed greatly. I was one of the lucky ones to have seen her perform more than once.
                      ~Aloha! Christina~
                      Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

Aloha 'oe Auntie. She will be missed and remembered dearly.

The Adolpho 'ohana and my Hawaiian 'ohana in La'ie are connected through marriage.
                        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Truly a sad day for Hawaii.

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to hear her a number of times at private functions. I will treasure the 49th State 45s I have of Auntie Genoa.

Comment

Can you imagine all the music they're making in heaven right now?

Aunty Genoa, Pops, Aunty Myra English, and all the musical legends we've lost over the years. I can only imagine...
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                              Aunty Genoa, Pops, Aunty Myra English, and all the musical legends we've lost over the years. I can only imagine...
                              ...and just think of the huge hug she got from Israel.

As I spread this sorrowful news to the Hawaiian community around here today, many of them came back with similar stories to the ones in this thread. Clearly, she had a huge and positive effect on so many people. May we all be so fortunate to be remembered with such fondness when we depart, and be motivated to use our remaining days toward that goal.

Comment

I got to see Auntie Genoa play for a benefit for Punana Leo o Maui in 2007. My Son & I got to see Auntie and her group off as she headed for the Airport with my sons sister in law. I gave Auntie my Aloha for coming to play. She played just last month in Wailuku too. Now I stay humming Alika....
                                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                                X