• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craigwatanabe
    replied
    Re: B.E.T. = Busted Every Time?!

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
    It is fairly common in certain segments of the population to use "ba" instead of "brah". I work in the construction industry and often hear construction tradesmen saying it. It's just the continuing evolution of the language.

Kind of like the word "vog" used earlier in this thread. I never heard that word used for volcanic smog when I was growing up. Now it's everywhere. Even the word smog itself morphed from smoke and fog. So vog is also a contraction of a contraction, ba.
    I've heard of the term Vog since the 60's. I live in a Vog intense area and I've never heard anyone here on the Big Island use the word "Ba". I even ask some of my co-workers that are born and raised here (before statehood) and they look puzzled when I ask them about that word.

Leave a comment:

• localmoco
    replied

It is fairly common in certain segments of the population to use "ba" instead of "brah". I work in the construction industry and often hear construction tradesmen saying it. It's just the continuing evolution of the language.

Kind of like the word "vog" used earlier in this thread. I never heard that word used for volcanic smog when I was growing up. Now it's everywhere. Even the word smog itself morphed from smoke and fog. So vog is also a contraction of a contraction, ba.

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

You aren't going anywhere with your tongue stuck inside a cheek after giving the bird to your bruddah...*snort*...you gonna be layed out like a log with ya haid all wooly and filled with vog.

No wonder your brain hurts...

*tisk*

Naughty Leo!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
    Then again....if you stick your tongue in your cheek and say 'Brah' guess what ya get?
    Your tongue bitten?
    If you put the bird in the cheek instead of the tongue, and started cussing whilst using pidgon would the pigeon in there have the verbal effect of giving the bird in tongues?
    A tongue in someone's cheek is worth giving the bird to your Braddah ... wait, where was I going with this? Oh, right - woolen vog --- or something ... ... ... ow, my brain hurts.

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Ah yes, pigeon. That's why Twitter is creating a subservice called Tweeter.
    There ya go!

*snickers*

Hey!

If you put the bird in the cheek instead of the tongue, and started cussing whilst using pidgon would the pigeon in there have the verbal effect of giving the bird in tongues?

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Here ya go.... (...) In the version of Island Creole English, known as Pigeon, (...)
    Ah yes, pigeon. That's why Twitter is creating a subservice called Tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• kani-lehua
    replied

baism: a religion founded by the baists that forbids begging, drinking of alcoholic liquors, buying and selling of slaves and having more than one wife. drug trafficking, however, is permitted if done in small quantities.

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Craig....

Ummm....please don't tell me you think that's a real etymology!

Then again....if you stick your tongue in your cheek and say 'Brah' guess what ya get?

*looks at him sideways*

Uh-huh....dass right

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Ya know if you took enough hits of the stuff I'd assume your nasal passages would be so messed up you'd be saying Ba no matter what you were trying to say.

And I don't buy the vog answer. Because when the vog clears you don't naturally continue to say "Ba".

Leave a comment:

• Ms_Aloha_Nui
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Ba Ba Black Sheep have you any wool?

Yes, Sir

Yes, Sir

Three Bags FULL!

I just had to.

Auntie Lynn

"Well sir, I also have 50 pounds of crystal meth.....besides my wool"

Boooooooo Ha ha ha ha

Just couldn't resist this one!

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I live on the Big Island and in the areas most prone to Vog and work at Home Depot where I meet people from all over the island from all classes and I've never heard of anyone using that word "Ba". As a matter of fact when I came over to the Big Island from Oahu my use of the word "Brah" was taken as Haole Pidgin. To the more rural pidgin english users, and most on the Big Island we tend to use the word "Braddah" more often.

No one I've spoken to (and I talk to a lot of people as a sales associate) has ever uttered the word "Ba", at least not here on the Big Island...where vog is the most intense.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Ba Ba Black Sheep have you any wool?

Yes, Sir

Yes, Sir

Three Bags FULL!

I just had to.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Here ya go....

Ba [ba] -noun ~

Based off of the local use of 'Brah' which is rooted in the shortened linguistic adaptation of the archaic noun 'brethren' brought to the Islands by English Missionaries. The dominate use of the term 'Brethren' in the clergy's attempt to Christianize the Native became the norm as opposed to the more standard less formal 'Brother'.

In the version of Island Creole English, known as Pigeon, the word brethren was shortened to 'Breh' (as opposed to the shortening of brother which would be 'Bro'). Due to the confusion occuring as plantation workers shouted to each other in the fields "Eh! Breh!" which because of distance or ambient noise came to sound like "Eh!Eh!" [meaning: "Holy crap!!! A big assed centipede just went run up my leg!!!"] was further changed to "Eh Brah!"

In areas laying the path of wind born volcanic emissions, now currently known as vog; or to those areas with a high volume of contact with touron disease, the term Brah became Ba not so much from a linguistic derivation but more as a result of constant nasal congestion and the inability to use the sinus cavities to aid in enunciation.

~sneaks off quietly~

Leave a comment:

• dick
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    So where in the Hawaiian islands does someone use the word "Ba"? And when did that all start happening?
    Interesting questions... I too have never heard "ba". Any clues to the etymology of "ba" as an alternate to "brah" (aside from craigwatanabe's drug theory)?

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    as ridiculous as sog's tying of go with BET is, as if go were some sort of criminal hovel and attracts only bad people (tell that to all the average folk who fly go to save money, like mel), you obviously don't know that in certain parts of our state, people do say "ba," instead of "brah."

Well when you're all drugged out it's easy to forget to bring the tongue up to make the "R" sound in Brah and make it Ba instead. So where in the Hawaiian islands does someone use the word "Ba"? And when did that all start happening?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X