Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Carlin passes on

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

He was one of the heroes of my youth, and a huge influence on my own comedic style. Aloha `oe, George.

Re: George Carlin passes on

Rest in Peace George Carlin.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

RIP...dude was a genius.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Genius, indeed. One of a kind. After decades of great laughs -- many of them surprisingly thought provoking -- he'll definitely be missed.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I've got seven words for ya, George.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I liked his HBO standup comedy specials with his rants of things that bugged him and his views with brutally honest material.

Comment

I had the joy and honor of working on the production team that presented a performance by him in the late 1970s. He didn't have such a gruff onstage persona in those days, and it was easy to make him genuinely laugh.

Comment

Gee, he was just here a minute ago...

That was his own thot on what people would say when hearing of his passing.

Saw him do a show here years ago, and wish it could happen again.
                One of the best.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Wonder what his last words/joke was?
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I discovered his comedy just a few months ago when we got XM radio. Last month we were at Vegas. I kind of wanted to get tickets to see him.

I missed my chance.....

Comment

Such an incredible talent and his edginess never became dated. Seventy-one is still young (to me!); too young to die, for sure. RIP, George.

Comment

Anyone recall Hawaii appearences George did? I know of one he did in 1976 in Kona he did a show for with Perry Como, Don Ho and Petula Clark that was filmed for a NBC special. Have this one on tape fortunately.

Aj

Comment

George Carlin Dies

Carlin would hate the title of this thread for two reasons. First, he hated euphemisms and would scoff at a description of his death as anything other than "death," unless you came up with something better for stylistic reasons. Second, "passes on" implies the moving from one world to the next, or from one stage to the next, and he was quite adamant that when you die, you just die.

My favorite Carlin memory is of his appearance on Later with Bob Costas, which is one of my all-time favorite television shows. There was no band and there was no audience for that late-night talk show; there was only a cute living-room set with two armchairs. Costas relied on his ability to ask interesting questions and to lead his guests to share interesting stories. As (almost) always, Costas asked thoughtful questions that Carlin actually had to put some thought into, and when it was over, he shook Costas's hand and said, "Listen. I hate doing shows like this, but this was a genuine pleasure. Thank you, and I'll be back anytime you like."

Carlin could be brilliant, but too often he went for the easy joke so that there would always be a moment during his live recordings when I wondered if he was just getting lucky sometimes. He wasn't, of course, and maybe the cheap, easy laugh was a way for him to set his audience up for the thoughtful comment he was going to hit them with later in the show. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

His "seven words" bit got to be a caricature of itself in later years. I never liked hearing it until I heard earlier recordings of it, when it was still kind of fresh. The bit I loved hearing, over and over, was his "Baseball and Football" routine, which I will be listening to this evening.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

One of my favorite lines he said something like "If the Cincinnati Reds were the first professional baseball team, then who did they play". He said things that made you think. Clever guy and though I'd forget about him at times, I'd see him again and remember how funny he is. He said he wanted to be like George Burns and live to 100 coming out on stage on a walker, but he did what he loved to do until the very end. What more could you ask?

Aj

Comment

George Carlin passes by

Last night on www.coasttocoastam.com they ran a 1999 Art Bell interview with GC that was both interesting and revealing. You can probably still bring it up using the 'past shows' icon.
                              Dude owns the masters to all his albums, full rights to all his HBO shows, and never had a writer = 100% pure GC. Pretty rare in this industry.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X