David Carradine found dead in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Carradine found dead in Thailand

David Carradine was in Thiland making a film when reports say he was found dead by a maid.

BANGKOK (AP) — David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" whose career roared back to life when he played the assassin-turned-victim in Quentin Tarentino's "Kill Bill," was found dead Thursday in Thailand. A published report said he committed suicide.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...0z6RQD98JU7PG0

Re: David Carradine found dead in Thiland

Rest in peace, Grasshopper.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: David Carradine found dead in Thiland

This is so sad and unexpected. Carradine was always a favorite of mine. An actor with a wide range, Kung Fu brought him a lot of initial fame, but ended up typecasting him for many years as a quiet, softspoken loner-type. After Thunder And Lightning bombed at the box office, Carradine's star faded and his roles were mainly limited to supporting characters in TV shows and low-budget flicks. Carradine was able to return to the limelight somewhat with the 1990s syndicated series, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, but it also reinforced the old typecasting. Thank goodness Quentin Tarantino was able to showcase Carradine's versatile talent in a role other than a Shaolin Monk to a wide, appreciative audience in Kill Bill and its sequel.

Needless to say, he will be missed.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 4, 2009, 09:48 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: David Carradine found dead in Thailand

How sad ? What must have gone on in that man's mind. We will never know. R.I.P David

Comment

Yes, RIP David. How horrible for that poor housekeeper to find him. That
          type of situation is part of what is 'selfish' in suicide unfortunately. She
          will never be the same.

Comment

What is it that brings a person to the point of deciding that life is no longer worth living? What is it that makes the imagined possibility of oblivion preferable to waiting out another day?

Pain, usually. Whether it is physical pain or emotional pain or some other kind of pain (if there is any other kind?) doesn't matter when you get to the point in life where you will do anything to end the pain sometimes suicide seems like your only option.

There can always be other reasons, of course: delusion, expectation of paradise beyond life, etc.

Also it's unwise to jump to conclusions regarding apparent suicides. Murder, accidents, accidental overdoses or mismatched medications can appear to be suicides as well. I would rather remember David for the contributions he made in life than the manner of his death.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

While I can't even speculate on what might've pushed Carradine over the edge, there are medications that, as a side effect, can cause suicidal thoughts and actions. That happened to the mother of a friend of mine and a former neighbor. Both acted on their thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                While I can't even speculate on what might've pushed Carradine over the edge, there are medications that, as a side effect, can cause suicidal thoughts and actions. That happened to the mother of a friend of mine and a former neighbor. Both acted on their thoughts.
                You are right about that. On TV so many ads have a cautionary inclusion of
                information to that very situation with many drugs. It's too bad that what
                can help can also be so detrimental to those taking it.

Comment

David comes from a talented acting family, I have enjoyed being scared by his dad's numerous spooky horror films, brother Robert's humor in the "Revenge of the Nerd" films, brother Keith's singing and acting in "Nashville", and Will Rogers on stage. I don't know what to say, I'm really saddened as I was a big fan of "Kung Fu". I always expected him to be around. Maybe he had a terminal illness like Brian Keith. I remember David and Barbara Hershey were an item in their hippy days, they had a child, called him seagull I think. I gather David left a few children behind. I'm sure we'll know more soon why this happened.

Aj

Comment

There's some speculation that he might have died accidentally rather than suicide.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-wardrobe.html

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      There's some speculation that he might have died accidentally rather than suicide.
                      I must admit, that thought entered my mind. No matter what, it's truly sad for his life to end this publicly-humiliating way; it will overshadow his accomplishments for a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        What is it that brings a person to the point of deciding that life is no longer worth living? What is it that makes the imagined possibility of oblivion preferable to waiting out another day?

Pain, usually. Whether it is physical pain or emotional pain or some other kind of pain (if there is any other kind?) doesn't matter when you get to the point in life where you will do anything to end the pain sometimes suicide seems like your only option.

There can always be other reasons, of course: delusion, expectation of paradise beyond life, etc.

Also it's unwise to jump to conclusions regarding apparent suicides. Murder, accidents, accidental overdoses or mismatched medications can appear to be suicides as well. I would rather remember David for the contributions he made in life than the manner of his death.

I feel I must echo the above. Pain in it's many different disguises can bring people to death.
                        However, I am not totally convinced that David's death was a well thought out suicide. It seems haphazard to me. I ask the question ? Drugs ? Perhaps it will all come out in the wash ?
                        As a youngster in the 70's I did Shotokan Karate and was very amused by David's antics in Kung Fu. He was more of a ballet dancer but I loved his series.

R.I.P David

Comment

I like when Caine do not conjugate his verbs, and start kicking in slow motion at yahoos of the Wild Wild West.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post

Very true. Many people (and I mean this generally, not as a reply to any of the above posters here) forget that depression is an actual chronic disease. Some types can be treated with therapy and/or medication, but sometimes neither of those work, and it's a lifelong, uphill battle. You can't just shake it off. Your brain just does not chemically function as it should. After so long, you learn to develop a faux-cheerful facade and turn that face to the world, but inside you hurt to the core. And it's always the people you'd never expect to be fighting with these demons that are. If that was the case here, it must be so much worse in the public eye, and Mr. Carradine may have just had one dark day too many. I feel for his family and loved ones.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

"Snatch the pebble from my hand . . . Grasshoppah"

Comment

Working...
                              X