Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Have you met someone famous?

Originally posted by melorama
    My favorite brush with greatness is showing Dave Barry where the bathroom was at the Grand Wailea Hotel at the Maui Writers Conference [...]
    This reminds me... I met a bunch of authors, notably Sherman Alexie (Smoke Signals) and fantasy fiction author Terry Brooks, at the Maui Writers Conference in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth
      Has anyone met any of the ones I've listed. If you have, I hate you! No, just kidding.
      Just yesterday I ran into Sean Na`auao at a small neighborhood store here on the windward side, mere hours before he went to the Hoku Awards show with his six nominations. (We've met numerous times before, and had a nice little chat yesterday.)
      I know you're in Maine, but this is an island. We run into those "celebrities" you mention all the time, at stores, in the post office, in restaurants, driving down the street, and all sorts of normal daily activities.
      No big deal, here on the island.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by liberty
        This reminds me... I met a bunch of authors,[...]
        I've intentionally not participated in this thread ('cept one reply!) due to the nature of my work. But I will mention a highlight since Liberty brought up authors.

I had the privilege of working with James Michener and his wife. I took my copy of "Hawaii" to the set and was able to get a photo of me next to them while he's autographing my book! What a lovely man he was. His wife, too. It doesn't get much better than spending the day at Paradise Cove with the Micheners and getting paid for it!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

No big deal, here on the island.
          The last time I was at Costco in Hawaii Kai, I was walking around in the back by the seafood section and saw Jerry Santos, whom I don't know personally, and gave him a "Howzit" look as we passed each other. After finishing up there, I headed over to Longs Drugs for more shopping and about ten minutes later, here comes Jerry again walking towards me in one of the aisles. I smiled and told him, "Eh brah, you following me?" and he laughed as he kept on going. No big deal, although it kind of weirded me out at the time.

Comment

Last week on Maui, I met Eric Gilliom and Willie K at Borders. They gave a free concert to celebrate the release of their CD, "Barefoot Natives". Got their autographs too. They will be touring the West Coast this summer (as far north as Portland). One of the cuts on the CD, "Fa Mai Ra Oe" was on the KPOA Top 10 last week (a week after the CD's release). I predict Eric and Willie and Barefoot Natives will be Hoku winners next year.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; June 1, 2006, 04:05 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Do "relatives" count?

Dennis Pavao, Ledward and Nedward Kaapana, and Gilbert Kauhi (Zulu Hawaii 5-0)

These are/were some uncles of mine... (hard to call them famous...when they are family)

Manoa

Comment

Sam Choy cooked dinner for us for our 10 year anniversary. He was very sweet and gracious, just as you'd expect him to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                  No, not dat dakine. I could care less'bout dat. Da uddah dakine. Mek big head l'dat. Wuz'bout his second album when we "talked" about dis very ting. I guess he did forget afterall. To bad, so sad.

Undah one rock?....oh yeah. Das da bes. What do you expect from a grumpy old fart who doesn't pay any mind to what's "happening", what's in, what's not, whatevah. Gotta wait till my Mel graduates college for me to catch up. Right now it's the Wiggles, American Dragon, Lizzie what's her name, Dora the Explorer....etc.
                  Don't know if I asked you this before. If I did it didn't get posted.

What in the world are you saying about Keali'i? I don't understand you at all. Could you please explain it to me in English?

Mahalo,
                  akrauth
                  'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth
                    Are you meaning someone who is a famous Hawaiian artist? If you are, I have not, but I have a list of many artists I would love to meet:
                    Keali'i Reichel
                    Raiatea Helm
                    Natalie Ai Kamauu
                    Leilani Rivera Bond
                    all three members of Na Leo Pilimehana
                    Danny Couch
                    Um... am I missing anyone? Oh, both of the Brothers Caz.

If more people come to my mind I'll let you know. Has anyone met any of the ones I've listed. If you have, I hate you! No, just kidding.

A hui hou for now...
                    akrauth
                    Ah, don't hate me (I know you from another board, btw...), but I've met/worked with Raiatea Helm, Leilani Rivera Bond, Na Leo & Bros Caz (from this list) - as well as Sean Na`auao, Jake Shimabukuro, Na Palapalai, Makana, Makaha Sons, Bill Tapia, Dennis & David Kamakahi, John Keawe, Herb Ohta Jr., Charlie Recaido, Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom, Willie K, Patrick Landeza, Cyril Pahinui, George Kahumoku Jr., Keola Beamer...and I'm sure to be forgetting somebody, kalamai...and I'm in Seattle, not in the Islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Last week on Maui, I met Eric Gilliom and Willie K at Borders. They gave a free concert to celebrate the release of their CD, "Barefoot Natives". Got their autographs too. They will be touring the West Coast this summer (as far north as Portland). One of the cuts on the CD, "Fa Mai Ra Oe" was on the KPOA Top 10 last week (a week after the CD's release). I predict Eric and Willie and Barefoot Natives will be Hoku winners next year.

Miulang
                      Rumor has it the tour may make it to Seattle eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        Rumor has it the tour may make it to Seattle eventually...
                        Yeah, their agent who was with them at the concert mentioned that they might come up to Seattle later in the summer, but there are no plans for the June-Aug. timeframe because they're pretty much booked up with gigs in Cali and Oregon. Would be cool to have them up here, though. That concert with Willie and Amy a few years ago really rocked, and I think the chemistry between Willie and Eric is very simpatico, too (i.e., they both can be such hams).

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

they're pretty much booked up with gigs in Cali
                          Wow, they're playing in Colombia?!? Cali is a really dangerous city there, so I hope they'll be cautious.
                          Unless, of course, you meant California.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            Wow, they're playing in Colombia?!? Cali is a really dangerous city there, so I hope they'll be cautious.
                            Unless, of course, you meant California.
                            Knowing Willie, he might just want to do that... Us guys call that big state to the south of us "Cali" when we get lazy...

Miulang

Comment

Us guys call that big state to the south of us "Cali" when we get lazy.
                              I know. (And I agree with your comment about Willie, too. )
                              Try going to San Francisco and calling it "Frisco" and see what happens. Remember to duck! (And no, "duck" was not a reference to Oregon. Or to Seattle, either. )

Comment

Well lets see... Once when I was a kid, my mother worked the tour desk at the, well shoot it was before it was called Turtle Bay Resort, I was on the top floor, there were only six, just kinda waiting around, trying to firgure out what to do next, when I heard the elevator door ding, and it openned. well out came a white wahine and two small kids, it took me a minute but I recognised it to be Connie Stevens! I guess I was kinda awe struck, and she just kinda gave me a smile and a wink and off she went!

Comment

Working...
                                X