Have you met someone famous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Have you met someone famous?

Not exactly "fair" since these weren't chance encounters, but top-of-mind, here goes:

Circa 1998, during a remote broadcast from Dolphin Days at Hilton Waikoloa Village, my beloved and I met and interviewed:

- Daniel Baldwin and Isabella Hofmann (aka Isabelle Hoffman) then of "Homicide: Life on the Street" -- one of my favorite shows of all time. He'd previously had a very public meltdown and left the show. It turns out he'd been making the show and one movie after another and was terribly burned out ... off-mic, talking about his life and how he'd been skewered by the entertainment press, he added, "so, you don't scare me." And smiled. That broke the ice. He gave us his and Isabella's home number in NYC! We never used it, but I thought that was way cool.
    - Michael Bergin and a couple other Baywatch Hawaii cast members. He was shirtless during the interview
    - Olympic Gold Medal Winner Bruce Jenner
    - Former Miss Universe Brook Lee, who was super-funny. She said one of the dolphins popped out of the water and looked at everyone around her, but not her. "When you are over, you are SO OVER," she said. We cracked up.

On another broadcast occasion, we interviewed Kelly Hu during a remote from (sigh) Columbia Inn on Kapiolani. She was, IIRC, on "Nash Bridges" at the time.

During that horrible format-du-jour period at the Q, during our "dance music" days, we interviewed singer Katalina in the studio. She had a novelty song out called "DJ Girl." It was just a single, I guess, but she said she was working on a new CD and the big deal about it was, it would have a track "with a REAL SAXOPHONE in it!" Cliff and I looked at each other, masking our reaction to her statement so she wouldn't see what we were feeling. One of us said, "Oh, a real saxophone ... cool," or something.
    I mean, WHAT? A whole CD with only ONE ACTUAL INSTRUMENT?
    Perhaps that's what was wrong with the genre? Ya THINK?
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Do "relatives" count?

Dennis Pavao, Ledward and Nedward Kaapana, and Gilbert Kauhi (Zulu Hawaii 5-0)

These are/were some uncles of mine... (hard to call them famous...when they are family)

Manoa

Related through marriage right?

Anyhow, definitely cool.
      "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
      "But I can't even read good."
      "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
      "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

I've met:
        John Seigenthaler Sr. while at an orientation thingy after college for a minority fellowship. I kind of made a scene at the thing during introductions (I just mentioned that I could outdrink every old white man in the room...in a room full of old white men...I was young...ok it was like 5 years ago). He came up to me and said I was funny. I fainted. What can I say, the man is like, awesome.

My mom's cousin (well I guess she's kinda my cousin, too, then) is married to James Brazelton, who was the Stanislaus Co. DA during the Scott Peterson trial. He's not really a celebrity tho, but he was on television lots and I've had Thanksgiving at his house before. So like, yay.

Well, I haven't met them, but I saw them!
        I saw Jody Sweetin (middle daughter from Full House) at the Denver airport when I was in 7th grade.

I saw Bobby Flay at Chicago O'Hare - he had a bubble butt and he looked like he was super ticked off.

I saw Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson (as well as the entire cast of Baywatch at the time) while we were at Seaworld in San Diego. They were taping an episode there and we got to be extras in the "action" scene with some speed boats and water skiers. Dad took lots of pictures, as you can imagine. We saw Tommy Lee sitting away from the cameras - Tommy was kinda pushing/rocking a baby cart while smoking a cigarette while Pamela was workin'

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
          [...]- Former Miss Universe Brook Lee, who was super-funny. She said one of the dolphins popped out of the water and looked at everyone around her, but not her. "When you are over, you are SO OVER," she said. We cracked up.[...]
          Brook's humor is what I like best about her! God, she's so funny, fun and down to earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Add Brittni Paiva (17-year-old `ukulele/slack key guitar player from Hilo) to the list; we just did the first of a series of concerts last night, where she shares the stage with 98-year-old uke-ster Bill Tapia, vocalist Mihana (of the Farden/Aluli/Souza "Puamana" family), and bass player Ruth Davies - I've worked with the last three before, but this is the first time Brittni's played in WA State.

She's charming and very, very talented.
            I was just about to add the same thing! The concert last night was awesome. Add Ms. Paiva to the list of "cool things about the Big Island"

Comment

When I was a keiki, I sold a purse to Jamie Lee Curtis and her mom at the Special Olympics over at UCLA.

Rafer Johnson who was a spokesperson and representative for the Special Olympics offered me the job for community service. He is the former Gold Medal Olympic Decathalon winner in the 1960 Rome Olympics. My family shared Christmas dinners at his mothers home. Also, his brother, Jimmy Johnson would visit for Xmas. He use to play for the S.F. 49'ers punt returner.

Ricardo Montalban, Fantasy Island. Sophia Loren - both in Beverly Hills

Nitro - from the Gladiators competition show. (remember that show?)

Dan Saleamua - nose guard for the K.C. Chiefs - my college roomates cousin

Nicholas Cage at Cedars Sinai hospital.

Daniel Ho - family friend

Comment

Well while in high school I volunteered as an intern for Xtreme Radio, and my job was doing little odd-end jobs for....basically everyone...anywho the best part of it all was playing "Hostess" at all the concerts being sponsored by the radio station.

So I met the group Cypress Hill ~ Black Eyed Peas- Yellowman - Gregory Isaacs ~ um...i can't remember the rest, but um..

While working for the airlines I've met ~ 007 Pierce Brosnan, Tommy Lee, Eddie Murphy, some NFL players during Pro Bowl time, oh and the guy who invented Nintendo *(have no idea what his name is?)but anyway yea thats some of the famous people I've met.
                Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
                I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
                email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana
                  Daniel Ho - family friend
                  Hey, next time you see him, tell him Gregg says aloha from Seattle - and I'll see him again at the end of October.

Comment

I had the privilege of meeting Keali'i Reichel at the grand opening of Border's at Pearlridge Center where he performed and held an autograph session after.

I also had the privilege of meeting the upcoming and one of the best Hawaiian singers Keali'i Blaisdell at his CD release party this past Saturday night, Sept 2. at Don Ho's Island Grill at the Aloha Tower Marketplace.
                    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I sat in a bar and had drinks with Sam Elliot for 2 hours and never realized who he was until he was leaving. A friend came up and did the whole autograph speil...Too bad I told him I didn't want to go with him and some friends for drinks.
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

i have meet nsync, europe, anastacia and a few actors too
                        *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                        http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
                          Yesterday was Apolo Ohno day in Hawaii (July 28, 2006).
                          Currently there is a PDF and Real Media video on the Lieutenant Governor's page.
                          www.hawaii.gov/ltgov
                          I thought Apolo Ohno was from Washington!?! How did he get a day in Hawaii? (okay, i admit- I jeleous!!)
                          "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo
                            I thought Apolo Ohno was from Washington!?! How did he get a day in Hawaii? (okay, i admit- I jeleous!!)
                            Because he admitted that he enjoys kalua pig?

Comment

I met Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom at Borders in Kahului last Friday, where she did a mini concert to pitch her new CD, "Next Generation". Her brother, Eric (of Barefoot Natives fame) was her sound man, and Amy's dad, mom and daughter Madelyn were in the audience. She'll be doing concerts at the Hawai'i Women's Expo at the Neil Blaisdell Center in Honolulu this weekend.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Met the Aloha Boys & Ledward Ka'apana at the Kealii Reichel concert over the wknd...fantastic concert at Wolf Trap by the way...

Have met Hapa, & Bros. Cazimero as well....

A few other people that I can think of off the top of my head are Maxi Priest, Marc Anthony, Phil Rizzuto, Gordon Parks, Richard Parsons, Mary Alice, Carmen de Lavallade...
                                Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Working...
                                X