Have you met someone famous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Have you met someone famous?

Famous Amos was giving out samples at the Hawaii Kai Costco a few months ago. I think it was muffins. Nice guy. We passed by and said "Howzit Wally!", and he gave us a big smile and shaka.

While on the subject, I finally got to meet "baby" Sammy, Keanu Reeves' father, last night at my Aunty Sister and Uncle Edward's wedding anniversary last night at Holy Trinity Church in Kuliou'ou. With him was his mother, who is Keanu's grandmother, Aunty Momi...

"Baby" Sammy, Keanu Reeves' father. 1.24.07.

Aunty Momi, Keanu Reeves' grandmother. 1.24.07.

There's an interesting story about baby Sammy in the Star Bulletin.

Aunty Momi is a beautiful hula dancer, as she displayed last night. You can see where Keanu got those slightly slanted (Chinese) eyes.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wally Amos sold his name when he sold FAMOUS AMOS Cookies. So he was not allowed legally to use his name! Then he came out with Uncle NONAME cookies......which was cool because he said it sounded Hawaiian. but really meant Uncle NO NAME!

I had to jump start his battery once when he was driving his beaten up Triumph? or some sports car (25 years ago...) and whats more ironic is I opened my auto shop (gone now) where his cookie factory was on 670 Halekauwila St.

Comment

I think the closest I get is repairing a cash register at Kona Village Resort and finding myself across the counter from Ann Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          How did that come about? Did Puffy hook you guys up with him, or did you pursue Clink on your own?

I think Appetite for Destruction is one of the greatest-sounding albums I've ever heard, so I'd love to hear about what Clink was like as a producer.

Well....another band my manager has handling (Size 14) used him for their record, and we met him that way.
          Clink was great as a producer...one of my biggest stipulations was that whoever produced our record was ok with a co-production situation cos I really had a clear vision of how I wanted the record to sound. The great thing about Mike Clink was that he was willing to try out all my ideas (no matter how "wrong" they sounded) , which alot of producers wouldn't do.

So, he was great to work with. He worked on alot of big recordings, and brough alot of experience to the table. A super nice guy, and really talented.

The funny thing about the GnR record. They supposedly recorded that record 2 or 3 times BEFORE he got to work on it, and were never happy with the other versions. They came to him and told him they wanted it to sound like UFO's "Starngers in the Night" album, which he coincidentally engineered. If you listen to that record, you'll hear alot of similarities in some of the sounds, especially the snare drum and guitar sounds.

Almost 10 years later and I'm still really proud of that fuzzbubble album, and still think it sounds great.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Famous Amos was giving out samples at the Hawaii Kai Costco a few months ago. I think it was muffins. Nice guy. We passed by and said "Howzit Wally!", and he gave us a big smile and shaka.

While on the subject, I finally got to meet "baby" Sammy, Keanu Reeves' father, last night at my Aunty Sister and Uncle Edward's wedding anniversary last night at Holy Trinity Church in Kuliou'ou. With him was his mother, who is Keanu's grandmother, Aunty Momi...
            Have you ever been to a Kuli`ou`oulympics? WOW!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              Have you ever been to a Kuli`ou`oulympics? WOW!
              The games are held at Kuliou'ou Park down the street. I've been to it many times just to check it out, but never participated.

The Reeves ohana is also the driving force behind the Kuliou'ou Christmas Parade, with Tommy Dods (Buster's brother) as Santa Claus on horseback. I swear he's a STRIKING image of what we envision Santa looks like, right down to the real (not fake) full, grey beard. If you seen him, you'd swear he was the real Santa.
              Last edited by Pomai; January 26, 2007, 05:14 PM.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Old thread - new story.

When I was a geeky teenager, I read liner notes on records, and started seeing a pattern - a lot of my favorite records featured the same names as producers and engineers. By the time I was done with high school, I decided I didn't want to be a rock star (like most my age), I wanted to be a PRODUCER! In college, I would buy records by artists I didn't know, just because they were produced by one of my favorites - among those who most inspired me was Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons Project, Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" & "Time Passages," Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon," Ambrosia).

Fast forward twenty years - I was actually producing records, as I had long dreamed. Fast forward another decade to today. Guess who I got to meet this evening, and tell the tale how he was one of those wonderful creatives who inspired me on my path?

The Recording Academy's Producers & Engineers Wing sponsored a summit here today, where I also got to see another big-name producer, Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd's "The Wall," KISS, Alice Cooper, Peter Gabriel), and hang out with Hawai`i Island's own Grammy-winning producer/guitarist Charles Michael Brotman.

I'm still on a high from all this. How often do you get to meet one of your heroes, thirty years on, and thank them in person?

Comment

Ezrin has done amazing work!
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    [...] How often do you get to meet one of your heroes, thirty years on, and thank them in person?
                    Not often, that's for sure, but I had a very similar experience. When I was in high school (late 1950s) my dad bought a Martin Denny album. That music sparked my love of Hawaii before my first visit and kept the flame burning til I finally made the big move in 1978. I met the Dennys in the late 1980s and got to tell Marty my story. We eventually ended up living in the same condo building. A good example of when thoughts become things.

Come to think of it, I probably told that story in this thread already!!! I'm too lazy to check thru 230+ posts!

Comment

To add to my list already I already met these famous Hawaiian and Non-Hawaiian Artists:
                      • Weldon Kekauoha
                      • Bryan Tolentino
                      • The group Kaukahi
                      • Raiatea Helm
                      • All three members of Na Leo Pilimehana
                      • Tiffany Thurston
                      • Afatia Thompson
                      • Dave Dunaway of Imua
                      • Kehau and Keao of the group Na Palapalai
                      • Alika Boy Kalauli IV
                      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        Ezrin has done amazing work!
                        He's a great storyteller, too. He told some fantastic tales about how, as a 19-year-old hippie kid from Toronto, he was sent by his bosses to NYC to check out this "Alice Cooper fella," and report back as to why they shouldn't bother with him.

Instead, he was so blown away that he told Cooper that they would sign him - so his bosses said "fine - you like him so much, YOU produce the sessions" ... something Ezrin had never done before.

The label told him to do four songs, then send them in so they could decide whether or not to go forward with an album. First song Ezrin produced, ever in his life, was "I'm Eighteen." You likely know the career arc from there.

Comment

The question is...has anyone famous met ME?
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                            The question is...has anyone famous met ME?
                            That gave me a good laugh! THanks!

I have met lots of famous people in strange circumstances and have become friends with many of them. One of the best encounters happened in 1967.

My parents and I went to San Francisco for a small vacation. We were in the airport on our way to get the luggage and I had on this pink lace dress and I remember getting knocked flat to the ground, my little carry-on bag flew out of my hand startling the heck out of me. This very tall thin black man in bell bottoms a fur vest, lots of jewelry and a huge afro contained with a scarf came up apologizing like mad and helped me back to my feet, dusting me off as it were making sure I was not hurt. He was with two other guys dressed equally cool and they watched the whole thing happen and end. He was very polite and made sure my folks came along as I was ahead of them and told them what happened and let them know I was o.k.

Later on the way to the hotel I saw flyers attached to telephone polls with the same 3 men on them advertising a concert. Turns out it was Jimi Hendrix!

I'll never ever forget that day, I was 10 years old.

A more recent encounter happened at Kapalua at the Wine & Food Festival.
                            It was the 25th anniversary and Guy Buffet had done the poster and was to be at the weekend festivities. Opening night I got the courage up to introduce myself as a rabid fan of his work and let him know how much I appreciated his talent. It was a brief encounter but a "pinch me" moment.

The next night at the Grand Tasting he was there and again I went up to him and re-introduced myself which was unnecessary as he'd remembered me. We ended up drinking unreal vintages of champagne chatting away for quite some time, it was amazing. I asked him if he would consent to an interview for a website I write for and he happily agreed. After Kapalua I did a phone interview with subsequent follow-up to check my information and then wrote the conversation. He liked it very much and to this day we still keep in touch and have become friends!

Comment

"Met someone famous?" Yes I have.

I went to the college I normally go to, & went in for lunch, & I was also told that another friend from school was perfroming there inside the Cafeteria,
                              lo & behold I was the one that was surprised, Frank De Lima was on stage to help out with the talent show, WOW!! I wasn't informaed of that.

Any ways, I took pictures, he was selling his CDs & DVDs. I really think he is pretty funny, & plus I forgot to tell him that he also help to advertise for the same company that my hubby works in , with all that excitement & able to shake his hand for the first time.

I also bought his DVD & CD, also had it autographed too. :-) Woo Hoo!!.

I like him & Augie T. Augie T. also performed for free (loong time ago) in one of the books store, which I can't remember which at this time (either B & N, or Borders).

We, just happen to be there by coincidence too. Come to think of it, we ended up adding to his jokes on stage (while we were sitting on the front row), & we were so funny (in additons to his jokes ) . lol.

To make it up, one day, we actually bought tickets to see his act. Pretty funny guy!!. lol.
                              Last edited by Serenity; March 2, 2008, 11:08 PM.
                              Aches & Pains
                              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

while working in high-end retail years ago, i met susan dey (day) (spelling) from the partridge family. she was very nice. i also met paula abdul. we had to shut down the store. she wasn't as pleasant. not like how she seems on american idol. maybe she's taken a chill pill since then. now what is in that coke cup again?
                                "chaos reigns within.
                                reflect, repent and reboot.
                                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
                                X