Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who has been the biggest influence in your life musically in Hawaiian or any genre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who has been the biggest influence in your life musically in Hawaiian or any genre?

I have to say that there are a few people who has impacted my life musically in Hawaiian music or any genre.

The people that impacted me are:
    Robi Kahakalau
    C & K- for their song "we are friends"
    Keali'i Reichel- for 'olelo Hawai'i (Hawaiian language)
    Keali'i Blaisdell- for teaching me more about 'olelo Hawai'i, the history, and the culture behind the songs
    Hapa- slack key music, and songs

There are many more influences in my life but for now these are the people that I look to for my mana'o. A hui hou!
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Re: who has been the biggest influence in your life musically in Hawaiian or any genre?

Originally posted by achow View Post
    I have to say that there are a few people who has impacted my life musically in Hawaiian music or any genre.

The people that impacted me are:
    Robi Kahakalau
    C & K- for their song "we are friends"
    Keali'i Reichel- for 'olelo Hawai'i (Hawaiian language)
    Keali'i Blaisdell- for teaching me more about 'olelo Hawai'i, the history, and the culture behind the songs
    Hapa- slack key music, and songs

There are many more influences in my life but for now these are the people that I look to for my mana'o. A hui hou!

KR is one of mine too. Some others include:
    Aaron Sala because I think he's a great piano player and wish I could play like him
    Celine Dion and Whitney Houston for the qualities of their voices
    Talia because she's my age and sings and plays piano like me and also writes wonderful compositions

and many others that I can't think of now but I'll let you know
    'Alika

Comment

Re: who has been the biggest influence in your life musically in Hawaiian or any genre?

Biggest influences? I wouldn't include those former bands in these categories, because nothing they did was cutting edge, imo. They rode the wave, but didn't generate any.

The ones who challenged and shook it up were my biggest influences:

-Sunday Manoa. Taking a chant and putting it to funky ukulele like they did with "Eia No Kawika" was regarded as blasphemy.

-I cannot think about Kaho'olawe and its occupation by the Navy without hearing Palani Vaughan's powerful "Kamamakakaua". I cannot think about the overthrow as well without that song.

-on that note, I cannot think about sovereignty without Kamamakakaua and Israel's "E Ala E" in my head and heart. For that matter, Sudden Rush's "Ku'e" cd comes right in there, with Paradise Found shredding the way. And their "Polynesian Party" is the first cool song that unified the Poly thang, which has been riffed many times since.

-Musically speaking, Gabby Pahinui did it for slack key and both Troy Fernandez and Kelly Delima did it for ukulele. They took these instruments to another level, to be emulated by people everywhere.

pax

Comment

Re: Lovesick teen texted during fatal crash

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Well, according to The D.A. believes he can nail her with murder. She never let go of the gas pedal even when her car hit the victim's. Hopefully the jury will agree because this little brat deserves incarceration for life.
        They may be inspired by this case which just got their verdict;

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/0366...5TH7D7MK6VV5MI

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
          KR is one of mine too. Some others include:
          Aaron Sala because I think he's a great piano player and wish I could play like him
          Celine Dion and Whitney Houston for the qualities of their voices
          Talia because she's my age and sings and plays piano like me and also writes wonderful compositions

and many others that I can't think of now but I'll let you know

Aloha e Pua'i, those are some good artists you have listed.

I just wanted to say that as for Aaron Sala, I probably shouldn't be intimidating myself. What do you think?
          'Alika

Comment

Re: who has been the biggest influence in your life musically in Hawaiian or any gen

Gabby on the Hawaiian side
            Beatles and James Taylor the other side

Comment

My parents — a jazz guitar player and an opera singer.
              Last edited by MadAzza; October 22, 2006, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I'm not a musician, but the artists who have touched my musical soul have been:
                Kalapana
                IZ
                Keali'i Reichel
                Beamer Brothers
                C & K

Comment

Gotta be C&K, guarans. I've always maintained that "Elua" is one of the greatest albums in American music. Outside Hawai'i, it'd be master songwriters like Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Clapton, Hendrix, Page. I've always liked Joe Walsh's irreverence, and have definitely emulated it.
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

Re: who has been the biggest influence in your life musically in Hawaiian or any gen

While I have no musical ability...

IZ had a big impact on my life and we used his music during my wedding... so everytime I hear his music... I think to my wedding day.

Comment

Hawaiian kine influence is ppl like: C&K, Makaha Son's, Peter Moon, Da Pahinui's, Hapa, Pure Heart.......

Other, non-Hawaiian influences is: Staind, Crossfade, Bob Marley, The Eagles, Daniel Bedingfield, Santana, Shai, 3T, PM Dawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
                        Hawaiian kine influence is ppl like: C&K, Makaha Son's, Peter Moon, Da Pahinui's, Hapa, Pure Heart.......

Other, non-Hawaiian influences is: Staind, Crossfade, Bob Marley, The Eagles, Daniel Bedingfield, Santana, Shai, 3T, PM Dawn.....
                        "Baby I'm Yours" and the acapella remix of "If I Ever Fall in Love" > any R&B song from the '90s

I don't really listen to Hawaiian music, but some artists whose messages/swagger I try emulate= Mos Def, RZA, and GZA
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          I don't really listen to Hawaiian music, but some artists whose messages/swagger I try emulate= Mos Def, RZA, and GZA
                          Awwww... why not the Ticallion Stallion or Big Baby Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            Awwww... why not the Ticallion Stallion or Big Baby Jesus?
                            BBJ aka ODB....cuckoo, just totally cuckoo.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Other influences are my voice teacher who sings opera, Alicia Keys, and Evanescence because I love what they do.
                              'Alika

Comment

Working...
                              X