Who's your favorite local comedian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's your favorite local comedian?

Who is your favorite local comedian, past or present?

1. Rap Replinger
    2. Frank Delima
    3. Andy Bumatai
    4. Augie Tulba
    5. Paul Ogata
    6. Mel Cabang
    7. James Roche
    8. Tony Silva
    9. James Grant Benton
    10. Tremaine Tamayose

I know I've left some out, but there was only room for 10. Feel free to add!
    Rap Replinger
    23.81%
    Frank Delima
    9.52%
    Andy Bumatai
    14.29%
    Augie Tulba
    19.05%
    Paul Ogata
    19.05%
    Mel Cabang
    9.52%
    James Roche
    0.00%
    Tony Silva
    0.00%
    James Grant Benton
    4.76%
    Tremaine Tamayose
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

"If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Who's your favorite local comedian?

...and you're asking that question in a forum where one of the answers resides?!

Comment

this was really hard for me to pick. eric and i were chatting about what was said in the Night Time with Andy Bumatai thread over dinner last night (which is probably what led him to post this poll). my opinion is that andy bumatai is the reigning face of local comedy, and has been, for the last thirty years or so. however, paul ogata, whose voice i very much miss waking up to every weekday morning, is a shining star. according to eric, who saw him perform back in the early nineties, paul has come a very long way. my opinion is that his material is much wittier, more original, and fresher than some of the other local comedians of his generation, who seem content to rely on the typical characters or stances of local humor (the whole mahu bit, local v. haole riff, etc.). not that there's anything wrong with that--i love da braddahs just as much as anyone else does. (tangent: have any of you seen those guys perform in person? omg! their seventies getup is just hilarious, esp when you see how much they stuff their peterlands!) but for breadth of talent in his generation of comedians? paul is da man.

of course, rap & jgb will have a place in my heart for their comedy. thank goodness for video. but cabang was never funny, in my opinion, and delima....well, i find him sad, because i loved "lucille" as a kid. but as an adult, i've never found him amusing at all.

so who did i end up picking for this poll? mr. bumatai. i'm charmed at how his act has changed over the years--from the brash "wot you looking at....nahnahnahnah!" of the seventies to how he now reflects on turning into an old filipino man with a compulsion to tend the garden on saturdays. his new endeavor as talk show host is brave and inspiring.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Voted for Rap, although Andy comes real close.
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
          1. Rap Replinger
          Reiplinger, if'n you please.

FWIW, a DVD has just been put together (by Mountain Apple) of season one of Augie Tulba's "The Augie Show" on OC16.

Comment

My Vote is for my friend and fellow Tiger, the late James Grant Benton! Always funny. I remember when I was newly widowed, we had just finished doing a re-union play called "Just Once In Our Life Time." Bruddah James came to my hale with ukapila Chinese foods for my children and I. Made us laugh so much. I'll never forget his kindness, compassion and HUMOR!

"James Grant Benton may not be a household name, but he was one of the most notable comedians to arise out of the burgeoning Hawaii comedy scene in the early 70's. A founder of the Booga Booga comedy troupe, Benton's humor appealed to his native island, where colorful local characters were the inspiration for many a gag. With fellow Booga Booga founders Rap Reiplinger and Edward Ka'ahea, Benton's comedy was based in detailed sketches and character studies, offering a clever spin on the idiosyncrasies of natives and tourists alike. Other members joined and left, but the original trio was the one most revered by fans of the troupe."
            http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I know I will get into trouble in mentioning how the poll is run but the 2 issues that stand out are:

1) Why close the polls after September 30?
              2) Might have been better if the poll was multiple choice.

As usual my "lack of no opinon/none of the above" issue is there but it's kind of minor compared to #1.

Comment

Helen,
                This was my first attempt at an online poll. Figured closing it at the end of the month would give most people time to vote. How else would you suggest I have configured it? I maxed out on the choices that came to mind and welcomed everyone "write in" candidates not offered.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
                "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Greg Hammer is pretty funny. We hired him to MC our parent's 50th anniversary. He had the whole house rolling throughout the night.

Comment

I would say that Augie T. is pretty funny even though he doesn't act like that out in public, I had the opportunity to meet Augie T. at Border's in Pearlridge Center. Frank Delima is probably the well known comedian around since he goes around and into the school.
                    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I used to love Booga Booga back in the day (my age is showing!). I was fortunate to get all of their autographs -- on a cassette tape! I can look at it, but no can listen to it! ha ha
                      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                        I used to love Booga Booga back in the day (my age is showing!). I was fortunate to get all of their autographs -- on a cassette tape! I can look at it, but no can listen to it! ha ha

I remember when they played at Territorial Tavern occasionally (now whose age is showing) on the same bill as Olomana when Bobby Beaumont was still alive. What a great venue and what wonderful memories!

Comment

Where's the none of the above op button? IMO, none of those above are really funny. Rap was the most talented and cleaver of this bunch.
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                            Where's the none of the above op button? IMO, none of those above are really funny.
                            Ouch.

I'm voting for Greg Hammer, Paul Ogata and Rodney Villanueva (all current or former radio jocks). If you're planning a wedding or other major private party, DO consider hiring one of them as MC. They'll have everyone on the FLOOR. Their quick wit is amazing. Just be prepared to be teased and comically-humiliated at the expense of yourself for the benefit of everyone else.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Rap...is my favorite and then also Frank DeLima.

I just loved Rap's CD with Mr. FrogTree (fogharty?) ordering the Cheeseburger with no Cheese.....

and Frank DeLima's version of Sesame Street----"Sashimi Street"------Learning Counting in Japanese...One..Two..Ichi... Ni
                              Three Four---Ankle Sore Hahahahahaha
                              no, no, no...

one is ichi
                              two is ni

hahahaha ichi-ni. Okay Schratch um den!!

Comment

Working...
                              X