X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Hawaii produced film make it to the Sundance Film Festival

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    [...]
    Did your eldest spawn make it? If so, did she get to see this film yet?

Kalei
    Aha! I was wondering if the short films were grouped together as they are at HIFF. The groupings are called panoramas. Thanks for that info. I'll pass it along to my cousin who is planning on taking his family next Saturday night.

Eldest, and now youngest, spawn will be at Sundance next week-end but because it's a business trip they have to attend certain activities...one of which is a dinner at the same time as the last screening of "Chief"!

Comment

I'll let you know if I make it in the door! Full review coming soon.
      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Update...

The article lists those involved with the movie who made the trip to Utah. Quite a contingent of people representing Hawaii.

WAY TO GO, GANG!!!

Comment

CHIEF just won the Best Dramatic Short Award at the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival over the weekend. The award makes the locally-made film eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award.

CHIEF has been recognized by a number of high profile festivals. It is the first Hawaii-made film to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, and is being honored by the British Academy of Film and Television (BAFTA) with a Certificate of Excellence. BAFTA is the UK equivalent to the Academy of Motions Picture Arts and Sciences, who produce the Academy Awards.

Filmed in the jungles, waters, and urban nightscapes of Oahu, CHIEF tells the story of a highly ranked chieftain from Samoa who flees his village after the drowning death of his young daughter, and winds up a taxi driver in Honolulu.

CHIEF will see its Oahu premiere during the Hawaii International Film Festival in October.

http://www.chief-movie.com

http://www.honolulu.gov/csd/publicco...ws08/CHIEF.htm
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
            CHIEF just won the Best Dramatic Short Award at the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival over the weekend. The award makes the locally-made film eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award. [...]
            Makes me all misty-eyed. Really. In a very good way, of course!

Comment

A belated WOOHOO! and GG for this news

The SB article, which zztype linked, was a good read. Unfortunately the link to kiwidiva's article is no longer working The trailer was pretty good too. It's interesting to see Honolulu through "film" (was the movie shot in traditional film or digital?).
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Oh never mind, right off of the movie's website

SHOOTING FORMAT: Super 16mm film

It was under the "Press" section, so I didn't think to look for it there, but I guess it makes sense.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

wow; how did i miss this thread? that's awesome news; getting a ticket for that flick will be a must come october!
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Chief screens at HIFF...
                    8:45 PM, Sun, Oct 12

Comment

Re: "Chief" at Sundance & HIFF

I can't believe it's only airing ONCE! And at the same time as Kiwi film Rain Of The Children!! I think I'll catch the start of Rain at 7:30 - duck over to the shorts at 8:45, hopefully Chief plays first - then back to Rain - then watch the whole of Rain when it airs again on Wednesday 10/15 (I'm too impatient to wait until Wednesday to watch Rain in its entirety!)

I bet they add more screenings for CHIEF as I'm sure EVERYONE will be going to see it, right?
                      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

can't wait to see it
                        stay forever young

Comment

The HIFF website lists CHIEF as playing at Regal Dole Cannery on Sunday at 8:45 but today's Star Bulletin has it lasted as part of the Sunset on the Beach screenings - which I'm thinking means it will show for free on Waikiki Beach.

http://www.starbulletin.com/features..._hiff_pt1.html

That's good news for CHIEF in terms of exposure, but so much for me ducking out of Rain of the Children to catch CHIEF! I was thinking I could just go theater hopping to catch both movies but Waikiki is a big hop from Iwilei!
                          Last edited by kiwidiva; October 6, 2008, 04:37 PM.

Comment

OK - I just looked more closely and the Sunset on the Beach listing is for SATURDAY - so I CAN see both! Or can I? Can someone who is in the know confirm?? Will CHIEF play on Saturday as part of Sunset on the Beach and Sunday at Dole Cannery???

Comment

I sent an email and will post the answer when/if I hear back. It's a busy time for the filmmakers right now! Chief doesn't show up on SotB's online movie calendar but, possibly, the calendar hasn't been updated yet.

Comment

Mahalo tutusue! On the HIFF website, I can't find any mention of the Sunset on the Beach screenings that were listed in the Star Bulletin. When I search for CHIEF and click on screenings, it still only lists the one showing on Sunday at 8:45 p.m. at Dole.

I understand it is a busy time but don't want to go to Waikiki on Saturday evening, drive around to find a parking spot and lug my chair to the beach only to find out that the film isn't playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X