X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fighter

The Fighter
    Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams

There are films you must see because you love films and to miss them would create huge holes in your filmgoing experience. Then there are films you must see because everybody’s talking about them and you want to be in on the conversations. I wouldn’t put The Fighter in that second category, but it approaches it. There’s been a ton of buzz about the performances, especially Christian Bale’s, and while the film falls a bit short of its hype, it’s got enough going for it that you could do a lot worse.

It’s tough to fault Bale for any shortcomings this movie has, and it has a few. He inhabits the character of Dicky Ecklund like an animal trying to shed its skin. His performance is the most physically impressive I’ve seen since Meryl Streep’s portrayal of Julia Child last year. I admit I have a few reservations about the acting, because while it’s very good, I wonder how much better it is than any other decent actor’s performance as a crackhead, a boxer, or a crackhead boxer.

Amy Adams is just about as impressive as Micky Ward’s girlfriend Charlene. She’s a pretty woman, but she allows herself to be seen from unflattering angles and doesn’t seem at all self-conscious about it. It’s true that she plays a pretty woman in the film, yet it’s a different kind of pretty from the pretty she plays in, say, Leap Year. Charlene isn’t perky or peppy or sweet. Though she’s still the prettiest girl in the neighborhood, she hasn’t taken the best care of herself and her life’s been pretty sucky. Man, what a likable actress.

I don’t know if Mark Wahlberg is going to get an Oscar nomination for his Micky Ward, but I wouldn’t have a problem with it. He does a solid job and would probably have been more impressive with a better script. I didn’t see any missteps, and he comes across as likable and conflicted.

The script doesn’t give us enough, and that’s where the film falls short. While it is entertaining, it isn’t the kind of compelling that might have put it up there with great films like Rocky. Still, I can’t think of anyone who’d dislike it. Not yoo, not yoo, and not yoo!

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    71/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: The Fighter

I almost don't want to see the movie just because of this sucky review, almost. So, I guess I'll wait for it at the dollar rental.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't think it was a sucky review at all. 7/10 in my book means I like it, that it's just north of okay. I enjoyed pretty much the whole thing; I just think it could have been a lot better.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just north of okay is faint praise indeed, and just south of my eager anticipation. Sure, I'll likely see it, eventually.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

scriv, i really like your film reviews! keep it up! (did you do one for tron yet? if you haven't done one for winter's bone, that'd be my recommendation; loved it...)
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...nimals/727504/

Was there this scene in the movie?

Comment

Working...
            X