Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heat (2013)

The Heat (2013)
    Melissa McCarthy, Sandra Bullock. Directed by Paul Feig.

The Heat is a buddy-cop, odd-couple flick with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy in the leads. Bullock plays the neat one, competent and by-the-book but with no meaningful relationships or supporters despite excellent service in the FBI. McCarthy plays the slob, also competent but accomplishing her tasks in ways that get her in trouble with her superiors. She also has no real relationships in her local police department, and she is somewhat estranged from her family for arresting a brother who’s wandered to the wrong side of the law.

It’s an excellent pairing, and one gets the feeling Bullock and McCarthy could do a whole bunch of movies together in different genres. Their on-screen chemistry (if you’re allowed to use that word in non-sexual situations) is superb, and the actresses work together as if they’ve done so for fifty years. They are such a likable duo that one is willing to (mostly) overlook stupid plot elements, such as accidentally dropping someone from a second-floor fire escape in what’s supposed to be a humorous scene but feels mean instead, and a stupid bonding-by-inebriation scene which is mostly a cheap shortcut, ‘though Bullock and McCarthy do drunk very, very well.

As in many cop movies, the FBI finds itself interested in a case that a Boston-area police department is involved with. ‘Though both claim ownership of the case, the FBI’s Bullock is given authority, so the department’s McCarthy works covertly to find out what she can. There is the inevitable partnering up, and (surprise!) each agent of the law finds ways her strengths complement the shortcomings of the other, professionally and personally. The predictability of this film never wavers or deviates, but it’s mostly okay because the actresses make you want to see what happens next, even though you know what happens next.

There’s an enormous (this is not a pun) amount of talent on this screen. One just wishes the same talent could have been put together for something smarter and different. Failing that, this is okay enough.

6/10 (IMDb rating)
    68/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com
Working...
X